Unwanted Radio coming through Subwoofer

smyoung
smyoung Posts: 2
Hi,

I have this annoying problem where I can hear my local radio
station being picked up through my subwoofer. This occurs
even when I have my amp turned off or set to DVD. The subwoofer is a PSW250 connected via CableTalk Talk 3.1 to a
Yamaha RXV530. The subwoofer is positioned about 2 metres
away from the amp. Does anybody have any suggestions on how I can alleviate this problem?

cheers,
Simon
Post edited by smyoung on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited December 2002
    Sound like your using your interconnect as an antenna.
    Swap out the cable for a higher quality shielded cable.Monster makes em as well as aot of good quality cable companies.You problem allies there I believe my friend
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    Do they have Monster cable in Australia? haha
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    connected via CableTalk Talk 3.1
    Not sure what this is - I agree try some good shielded cable.
    Monster Bass Cable.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2002
    In Australia look for IXOS cables.. very similar to monster.. i used to have the same problem with my sub.. when my neighbor would use his ham radio.. got a 3 meter IXOS sub cable.. no more noisey neighbor
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited December 2002
    SO did we cahnge out the cable and now the sub isn't a radio anymore???I 'd like to know.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • smyoung
    smyoung Posts: 2
    edited December 2002
    Thanks for your replies guys. I did a few experiments to confirm
    if the cable was the culprit and it indeed looks like it.

- I disconnected the speaker cables from the amp to the subwoofer. Still happening.

- I disconnected the cables from the subwoofer to the satellite speakers as well. No radio.

- I then used a different cable to hook up the subwoofer to the amp. This time I just used a Y-cable interconnect from the subwoofer output on the amp to the line inputs on the subwoofer. Could still hear the radio.

An interesting note. If I turn the subwoofer off via the switch at the back I can still hear the radio through the speaker! It only stops once I pull the power cable out of the power point.

Looks like my only option is to swap out the speaker cable which I'm not too cool about. I only bought it a couple of weeks ago and it cost me a packet!

Does speaker cable come shielded? I had a look on the web sites and they don't seem to have much info.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2002
    An interesting note. If I turn the subwoofer off via the switch at the back I can still hear the radio through the speaker! It only stops once I pull the power cable out of the power point.
    almost sounds as if you could use something like the monster power, where it actually cleans up the electrical noise that comes through ???
    just a thought
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60