Xbox

rlightfoot
rlightfoot Posts: 87
edited December 2002 in Electronics
Even though Xbox may not be a traditional subject matter on this "Electronics" thread, I think it qualifies, given that most of the new Xbox games come in Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound.

My question is: does anyone have any opinions on Xbox vs Playstation2 vs. Nintendo gamecube?

Xbox has really dropped in price along w/ Playstation2. Most big box stores seem to offerring Xbox bundled with 2 games (Sega GT 2002 and a roller blade game) in addition to substituting the dreaded "Large Xbox controller" for the smaller and easier to hold on to "S Controller" all for $199.

Has anyone seen this bundle cheaper anywhere?
"I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
Post edited by rlightfoot on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Have ALLWAYS been a huge Playstation fan. They are way ahead of the game. PS2 sales are double xbox and gamecube combined - that should tell ya something. Microsoft is one hell of a economic backer and will survive. Nintendo is not happy with sells and are considering throwing the console towel and only make games like Sega did. As for Sony the next playstation chip has been made and it is very powerful indeed. Perhaps 2005 for the next system. 2003 will be a very good year for PS2 games. Many are in the making.If anyone is wanting exact numbers on the info I gave let me know it is all in the new PS2 magazine. LATER!!
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited December 2002
    Ight, im going to sleep real soon! And I am real lazy, and Im gonna get my wiger language on! LOL! Right, Well heres the brake down about PS2 - Xbox - and Gamecube. I am a huge Nintendo fan! You put all graphics aside, PS2 has all the games! Gamecube has the Speed, and Xbox has the graphics! Now people, for the diff., Sony, Isn't goin to screw ya and make a system thats not compatible to their old games. Micro. already said their next system wont be compatible, it might but there is a 90% chance it wont. Nintendo, never has made a compatible system, so why start now!?! Anywayz, if you like graphics and sucky games - go xbox! you like a veriety of O.K games - go PS2, if you like awesome games and speed and fairly awesome graphics - go Gamecube, but PS2 over all is the best bet, gamecube will save you the most money tho...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited December 2002
    Man the XBOX hands down.

Don't get me wrong PS2 is a great machine (I owned it) but it just can't hang with the power of Microsoft. Nintendo IMO hasn't been any good since SNES and they are too engineered for children which is fine but as gamers grow up (like me) you demand better games instead of Mario and Yoshi.

I have been into XBOX heavily since it came out and 95% of there games are DD 5.1. I love having a console that has full digital support for video and audio.

480P and 5.1 is the ultimate experience in gaming.

I just bought Splinter Cell for XBOX and it is absolutely stunning and a very fun and challenging game. 10/10
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited December 2002
    I feel they all have a place.

XboX for me...well I'm not hardcore gamer.I used to be,my Son owns that job now.He wants Playstation 2 back,we owned it and it broke.I hated it for that.It was the only system I ever owned that quit on me.The kids didn't hepl it much.

Playstation 2 and Nintendo game cube I'm considering buying for the kids,they have great games for everyone.XboX seems to be more geared towards the older crowd.

There all fun IMO.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited December 2002
    The gamecube is getting games that are designed for the older crowd. BMX **** is not edited on GC and Xbox, but it is on PS2. CG has Metroid, Resident Evil, and Zelda. CG is all about gameplay and having fun while playing. XBox just makes it look pretty and PS2 has too many damn buttons.

CG does 480P and Dolby ProLogic II which is 5.1. Metroid looks and sounds awesome on my setup!
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2002
    I've got a Cube too. Did you see Monster finally starting making cables for GC? Unfortunately no component yet, but they do have S-video.
  • Steve@3dai
    edited December 2002
    I saw that, yes. I was about to pick up the S-Video just so when I bring it to other people's house it would look good.

I've got the progressive cables from Nintendo, they seen to be a pretty good cable set. If you need a set, my buddy has some that he doesn't mind getting rid of.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited December 2002
    x box comes with a ethiner net card installed and ps2 olny has a dial up add on for 60 bucks x box has a hard drive and you dont need them stupid memory cards if i get a consol i wll be getting a x box but that wont be for a while i am still a happy pc gammer
  • johnnyamerika
    johnnyamerika Posts: 382
    edited December 2002
    Hi Guys, been a while,

I have all three, and I have to say each satisfy a different need.

I play my Gamecube for fun, inventive games like Pikmin, Starfox, and Metroid. The classics are all on this system. Everything about the cube feels quick and fast paced and easy. Plus, the wireless controller they offer finds me lounging around on the couch; quite relaxing. Cube also has pro-scan games, and great graphics.

My Xbox is my HT hub. I use it's DVD power, because it's a damn good dvd player. It was great graphics and HD support, so it's a clear winner in the visual department. Lastly, the real time Dolby Digital in games is amazing. The sound quality in games is very high, and the internal processing for the sound is the best. And the hard drive is like a (not too) mini MP3 Server. I play it second only to my cube.

My PS2 is a dust magnet :). I find that most games released for PS2 are good...but I just don't have any amazing games that stand out like the clear winners on cube and xbox. I tend to get really bored with PS2's triple A hits like Grand Theft Auto (snore) and Final Fantasy. Also, the DVD player in the PS2 sucks horribly. Pictures are more washed out, the transfer buttons are all messed up, and it's 'quieter' than my other systems for some reason. But the DVD player creates a loud 'whirring' sound during playback. No pro-scan, no hard drive, no in-game Dolby Digital. The games are very mass-market, and are driven towards the casual gamer, not the hardcore player.

Basically, cube is a gamer's system, xbox is a tech enthusiasts system, and the PS2 is a casual gamer's system.

John
  • fireshoes
    edited December 2002
    I'm glad you mentioned the wireless controller for the cube. I'd be lost without my wavebird man. I can't wait to get my new receiver cuz it has zone 2 video output, so I could play in the living room or bedroom and just take my controller with me. Sweet!
  • johnnyamerika
    edited December 2002
    What reciever is that? That's rad as hell!
  • fireshoes
    edited December 2002
    Yamaha RXV2300 and RXV3300. Not sure if the RXZ1 has it. Zone 2 video outs are for composite and s-video.
  • johnnyamerika
    edited December 2002
    Thanks man, that's probably the coolest thing I've heard all day. :)
  • Steve@3dai
    edited December 2002
    PS2 has a network adapter.

XBox is not progressive scan DVD.

Wavebird is kewl :)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • johnnyamerika
    edited December 2002
    >XBox is not progressive scan DVD.

Neither is PS2...Xbox does have proscan and HD games though.

Johnny
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited December 2002
    Game junkies ---- have not truely experienced gaming until you have on my 8' screen 480i. Ya very fun!!!!!;) lol
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2002
    XBox is my favorite. I play my XBox a lot more than my PS2. PS2 has more great games but XBox has some of the best I've ever played(Halo, Splinter Cell and Morrowind).

Maurice
  • xfontanax
    xfontanax Posts: 82
    edited December 2002
    Lets say a certain game you're looking for is available for all three platforms at the same price. You own all three game units. Which format do you buy? Xbox, PS2 or GC?
  • Steve@3dai
    edited December 2002
    I'd go GC, but that's because I like the layout of the controller better in most cases. It fits my hands better (the Controller S didn't solve the XBox issue completely) and the PS2 controller is just plain uncomfortable IMO.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • johnnyamerika
    edited December 2002
    I would say Xbox or GC, depending on what you want out of it. GC does have a great controller, and they have the wireless version. Xbox has a wireless controller out now too, but it's $60! But if you favor Home Theater, want the DVD playback, the Music Server abilities, or simply want 5.1 in-game sound, get the Xbox. Also, if a game is out on all 3 systems the Xbox version is the best most of the time (graphics, sound, etc).