Jolida CDP "AA Top Fuel Dragster Mod"

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited November 2006
    Thanks for the info and the offer. I did my own checking on Kwak clocks, do you know why he's banned from DIYAudio?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ozone_stink
    ozone_stink Posts: 9
    edited November 2006
    Hi,

He and Jocko Homo are moderators on the site http://www.diyhifi.org

This site is much more technical. I think there was some bad politics in there.

Jocko is also banned. Not sure about the inner details.

I've ordered and received great service from Elso. He's a really nice guy when you deal 1 on 1.
  • ozone_stink
    edited November 2006
    OK more things learned about player:

<1> Although SAA7327H can be used as a DAC, luckily it's not. Underneath the Tube Out board, there's a BB1716E DAC.
    <2> The 12MHz crystal is eventually upsampled to 24MHz for the BB DAC. This means you need TWO clocks in this player for optimal results. -At least if you follow the guys over in DIYAudio:http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22113&highlight=saa7327
  • ozone_stink
    edited November 2006
    The consenus (?) seemed to be reached that 1 clock does make a bigger difference than the other (not clear which, to me though) and 2 is optimal. I believe that F1 and I are running to the same place with our clock-outs. I also believe that (luckily) we've hit the right clock to replace in a "1 or the other" scenario.
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited November 2006
    Hi Ozone! Welcome to the Club Polk Forums! I have to tell you, that your multi page thread on DIYAudio about your experiences with the RCD-02 mods reads like a Russian novel. Long and interesting. Whatever happened to the RCD-02?

Anyways, good luck on your Jolida mods. I am very interested in reading about your experiences. You tell it like it is, which is a good thing.

I wondered what happened to Jocko and Elso. Thanks for the info!
    Carl

• ozone_stink
    edited November 2006
    Hi Thank you for your kind words.

Hopefully Tolstoy isn't rolling in his grave. ;)

I sold the RCD-02 on eBay for $300.00 US. I paid 350.00 and made it much better. Somebody got a deal, methinks.

Anway, I like the sound of the Jolida WAAAY better for its silky mids (and other tube-related stuff).

Looks like that SAA7327 is just decoding. The PCM1716E has the filter built into it and is voltage-out.

I believe the Transport, PS, Analog output and build quality of the Jolida are top-notch. I'm not so impressed by the Filter that's bundled in the PCM1716E. (stopband ~ -82dB)

I'm looking at building a board with either a PMD100 or NPC SM5847 filter that feeds a couple of AD1862N DACs. I/V conversion will be via a some OPA627 or AD8620s. Then we'll send the output back to the tubes.

(I work with a guy who's an EE and he's also got a Jolida JD100A.)

I imagine that this will be a longer term project, but he's got all we need to solder SMT and make boards, scopes, etc.

In the mean time, I'll keep fiddling with upgrading caps, clocks, resistors, etc. -Speaking of which, I believe that that 12MHz crystal is only for the Winbond microcontroller, so I'm less convinced it's going to have much impact on sound by re-clocking it. I'm gonna give it the ol' college try and I'll let you know, though.
  • schwarcw
    edited November 2006
    Hi Ozone! I read that thread you referenced in you post about the 2nd 12 MHz clock. The debate got a little warm eh?;)

I'm planning to mod my Sheng Ya, I'm having a heard time locating a schematic. I'm probably just going to wing it somewhat. The clock is 1st priorty, 2nd I've got some of those new LM4562 opamps. I'm going to change out the BB 2604's and NE5532's. It has one lonesome 2134 that I'm not sure what it does yet. I also want to replace a couple of cheap film caps in the output stage. The caps are marked 4.7 uF, but the print on the board indicates they should be 5.1 uF. I'll probably get some Sonicaps for here. I'm still in the planning stage, probably jump into it after the Holidays.

Overall the Sheng Ya is solid built. Philips transport, PCM 1732, a couple of tubes 6DJ8 and 12AU7. I've got a couple of Ei Gold Pins in there now. I've tried some Telefunken's that were also very good. I'm shopping for an Amperex.
    Carl

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited November 2006
    Carl,

Let me know how it turns out! Maybe I'll send you my new player for upgrades ;):) Doubt you'd be able to find a schematic but try these guys: link Kavent is the "USA' version of the SY. My player is the model up from yours CD-831 I believe.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • schwarcw
    edited November 2006
    Will do Victor! Next time you roll some tubes, send me the info on the clock inside your new SY. The clock in our S10 and the Kavent is an easy target. It's a Raltron CO72E-T. Not bad specs, but not good either. It does a decent job but I'll bet it cost just a few bucks. Very inexpensive build. The aging specs from the OEM spec sheet indicates that it goes from 5 ppm to 25 ppm in just ONE YEAR!!

The BB 2604's are also an easy target. Many DIY enthusists have replaced these with OPA2627's or AD8620. The DIY community is going bonkers over the National Semiconductor LM4562's. It is supposed to go on sale in January. There are tons of samples floating around out there and a lot of hi marks from people who have used it.
    Carl

• halo
    edited November 2006
    That's all Greek to me Carl! Where's the clock located? BB 2604's? Your Sheng Ya CD-S10 would be the equivilant of the Kavent CD-731.

Does Rich know about this stuff? I hear you may drop by his place soon.

Send me an email and let me & Rich know what to look for.

Thanks!
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • halo
    edited November 2006
    Carl,

I thought the opamps weren't used unless you utilize the digital output. Analog outputs go through the tubes, no?

I heard ozone stink mention cyrstals - does that apply to the SY's?
  • F1nut
    edited November 2006
    Well, hasn't this discussion gotten lively. Tweak on, you ****'s, I'm done with my player.

Edit: Victor, all CDP's have an oscillator crystal.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halo
    edited November 2006
    I just heard back from Raeon @ KAVD

"Hi Victor,

Sorry, but we don't share schematics.

Regards,
    Raeon"
  • F1nut
    edited November 2006
    Dear Raeon,

Pfffft!!!

Regards,
    F1

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2006
    Ain't that a ****.
  • halo
    edited November 2006
    amulford wrote:
    Ain't that a ****.
    Yup.
  • schwarcw
    edited November 2006
    I got the same email from Raeon. The funny thing is, it's not his to give. Just reply: "Thanks for the service, I'll remember that next time I buy".

Victor, the opamp is an analog amp not digital. Some players don't have them (e.g. Jolida, and others). The opamp is found in many audio applications CD players, amps, tuners, receivers. Many high ends players have them. They can be the weak link in the player if equiped with cheap ones.

Carl
    Carl

• halo
    edited November 2006
    Guess I'll be sending it to you for the upgrades ;)
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2006
    Well folks, it's da bomb! We spent close to two hours listening and A/Bing the hot rod against my EE MiniMax. The Jolida has energy a presence in spades. Good work Jesse!
  • beardog03
    beardog03 Posts: 5,550
    edited December 2006
    Jolida F1 Signature Model..

Rock on Jesse..!!
    Cary SLP-98L F1 DC Pre Amp (Jag Blue)
    Parasound HCA-3500
    Cary Audio V12 amp (Jag Red)
    Polk Audio Xm Reciever (Autographed by THE MAN Himself) :cool:
    Magnum Dynalab MD-102 Analog Tuna
    Jolida JD-100 CDP
    Polk Audio LSi9 Speaks (ebony)
    SVS PC-Ultra Sub
    AQ Bedrock Speaker Cables (Bi-Wired)
    MIT Shotgun S1 I/C`s
    AQ Black Thunder Sub Cables
    PS Audio Plus Power Cords
    Magnum Dynalab ST-2 FM Antenna
    Sanus Cherry wood Speak Stands
    Adona AV45CS3 / 3 Tier Rack (Black /Gold)

:cool:
  • F1nut
    edited December 2006
    beardog03 wrote:
    Jolida F1 Signature Model..

Hehe...I like that idea.

President of Club Polk

• amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited December 2006
    So do I. You gotta sign that beyotch.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2006
    Right now I'm trying out a Jolida 100 that was modded by Dan Wright. It's current owner is Jeff Dorgay, publisher of Tone. This is one lucious sounding unit.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited December 2006
    I'm a Modwright fan. Can you elaborate on the upgrades or do we gotta wait and read all about it?
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • F1nut
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, fill us in and post some pics!

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    edited December 2006
    Don't you guys think it might be fun for members to throw say $50 toward the purchase of three stock Jolida's. And see if we can convice Dan Wright, Underwood HIFi. and maybe Reference Audio mods to have a competition to see who could perform the best modification for say $1,000 to $1,500. Have a run off at the Summer Polk fest, letting all the folks in attendance listen to each of them for 20 minutes or so, sequestered and listening using music of their choice.

I' be up fro throwing in a Grant or a Franklin to See this go. Afterwords. Each of the machines would be raffled to the attendees who contributed to the run off!

Feedback? Ideas?

Carl
    Carl

• F1nut
    edited December 2006
    I like the idea. If it'd be ok with everyone, I'll add mine to the demo, but I want it back afterwards.

President of Club Polk

• halo
    edited December 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    I like the idea. If it'd be ok with everyone, I'll add mine to the demo, but I want it back afterwards.
    Heck ya! Are your mods going to be available to everyone? C'mon you know you want to start another business ;):)
  • halo
    edited December 2006
    markmarc wrote:
    Right now I'm trying out a Jolida 100 that was modded by Dan Wright. It's current owner is Jeff Dorgay, publisher of Tone. This is one lucious sounding unit.
    What is Dan charging? What mods does he do specifically?
  • F1nut
    edited December 2006
    Halo wrote:
    C'mon you know you want to start another business ;):)

That would be a negative.

President of Club Polk