Polk vs. Klipsch speakers????

Frak601
Frak601 Posts: 13
edited December 2006 in Speakers
I am new to Home Theater, and am currently setting up my first dedicated HT room, 13' X 23'.............I am starting ground up, a new TV, Theater Seats, Receiver, Speakers,etc........I have been trying to decide on speakers......I have never owned Polk Speakers, and I live in an area where there are not alot of options to go out and listen to them in store. I have been considering this Polk Setup.....2 RTi12 Floorstands, CSi5 Center, FXi5 surrounds and a PSW505Sub............I would like opinions on this setup and if possible, any opinions on the type of sounds Polk speakers produce as compared to Klipsch, which I was also considering but have seen alot of people who say they are harsh and too bright??? I am planning on powering with a Marantz SR7001 receiver (110W X 7). Thanks for any help and opinions.
Post edited by Frak601 on

Comments

• lanion
    lanion Posts: 843
    edited December 2006
    Klipsch uses horn tweeters which are very effecient, meaning they will sound very good on a low powered reciever. They also have something of a monopoly on high end speakers at Best Buy, so I think their prices are a bit inflated because of that.
    I would encourage you to check out some of the direct distrubtion companies, like Aperion Audio (http://www.aperionaudio.com/)... they have a free 30 day trial. Direct sales websites probably get you the most speaker for the money, at least if you are set on buying new.

For the subwoofer, purchase a subwoofer from either Hsu Research (www.hsuresearch.com) or SVS ( www.svsound.com ) They completly dominate the affordable subwoofer market when it comes to quality. I don't think you will find anyone who will disagree with that statement.

Also, where do you live? You might be able to find some club polk members in your area who could give you a demo.
    My Iron Man training/charity blog.

HT:
    32" Sharp LCD. H/K dpr 1001 to Outlaw Audio 7900 to Polk LSi + Paradigm Studio center. Hsu DualDrive ULS-15. PS3/Wii. Outlaw 7900.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited December 2006
    HT is much less demanding than 2 channel and therefore either of your speaker choices will be fine.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited December 2006
    I have always been kindof a polk guy, but when building my last home theater, I thought I would give the new Klipsch Reference III series speakers a shot. I bought the RF-52 setup, and the moment I hooked it up, I knew I didn't like it. My most recent Polk setup had been RTi70's with a CSi40. Todays equivalent is basically the RTi8 and CSi5. I was immediately pining for bigger, better, warmer sound. Kinda like what I used to have with the polks!

SO, I sold the RF-52 setup, and went with the RF-82 and RC-62 setup. That would probably compare to about the RTi12 speaker. Anyways, it was better, but I couldn't escape what I thought was a bit of harshness. I hooked up three different AVR's and it didn't seem to make much of a big difference. I just missed my polks.

I am sure that the Klipsch Reference series is very nice, but they were just not for my ears! So, last week I sold them all on ebay. I also bought RTi70's again, and will give those a shot again.

Seriously consider the RTi8 setup if you are using an AVR. I auditioned them against the RTi12 last week, and with an AVR, I thought they sounded a bit better than the 12's. With amplification, RTi12's hands down!
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • Frak601
    Frak601 Posts: 13
    edited December 2006
    If I decided to go with the Rti12's setup....using the Marantz Sr7001 receiver (110W X 7).......would adding a single multi channel amp be sufficient, like the Outlaw Model7125 (125w X 7)? Furthermore.........would this setup of receiver and amp be suggested as well for the Rti10's or Rti8's??
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2006
    yes, that outlaw is a good amp, but those ATI amps now available in the Flea Market for just 900.00 are buy, however, if you need all seven channels outlaw makes high bang for the buck gear, they are considered a solid "mid-fi" company, there gear generally has about a 50% return retail value which is pretty good.

RT1
  • McCelery
    McCelery Posts: 123
    edited December 2006
    Klipsch speakers have always sounded tinny and too bright for me. But they wouldn't be so prolific if everyone thought that, so to each his own (especially with such a subjective topic). I also think they're ugly as sin. And I won't give an inch on that ;)
  • sbpolk
    sbpolk Posts: 644
    edited December 2006
    McCelery wrote:
    I also think they're ugly as sin. And I won't give an inch on that ;)

See, I think they are fantastic looking! I think the RF-82/RC-62 I had was much nicer LOOKING than the RTi12/CSi5 combo I contemplated! :p
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2006
    i sold klipsch for a few years and just could not get used to the sound. always sounded like i was in a warehouse.
    everybody hears things differently so its real hard to tell sombody what would be better. if you can, listen to both with the same demo (music and movie) and let your ears decide.
    my ears have always liked the warmer polk sound :)
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2006
    Welcome Frak.

Get one of these amps & you won't ever have to worry about power again no matter what else you get! I doubt you will ever find a better deal elsewhere for that kind of power.

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46659
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited December 2006
    Parents have a full Klipsch HT.... always had a special place in my heart for Klipsch as they were the first hifi speakers I "had". For HT, Klipsch is a good buy as they are efficient and pretty much "made" for Theater-use in the first place.

For music, if you are able to pair Klipsch with some low-power SET tubes, they will sing.

Polk RTi are ok too... but for music, they arent that great IMO. Now, if you're considering LSi, then it's a different story.

Joey
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Chicomoralessxm
    Chicomoralessxm Posts: 417
    edited December 2006
    Well just my opinion as everyone else....both these speakerssound great i've owned both and planning to get either still undecided. But it all boils down to your listening tastes and the attributes like and don't like in a speaker my only the i hate on the rf line are those tacky plastic feet lol the but hey i love the sound..... either is solid choice for ht the klipschs are also pretty efficient but aslong as you get a reciever with a pre-out you'll be cool
    Chicomorales:)
  • xttrapshooter
    xttrapshooter Posts: 5
    edited December 2006
    I just did this comparison about 3 weeks ago between the rti8 with the csi5 center versus the klipsch rf52 with the rc 52 center and i bought the klipsch, i just thought they sounded more clearer on home theater but i would have been happy with the polks i think.
  • markmarc
    markmarc Posts: 2,309
    edited December 2006
    Klipsch's are a bright speaker, and if you have low ceilings and lack wall treatments you may just find them too bright and harsh. The RTi8's are bright as well, but not like the Klipsch's.

I would second giving Aperion Audio a shot. The free shipping and the 30 tryout is definitely worthwhile.

F1Nut is correct that HT is far less demanding on an amp. The reason is the intensity of sounds are very short in duration, which matches how amp sections are built. Sustained power is left to the higher end manufacturers.
    Review Site_ (((AudioPursuit)))
    Founder/Publisher Affordable$$Audio 2006-13.
    Former Staff Member TONEAudio
    2 Ch. System
    Amplifiers: Parasound Halo P6 pre, Vista Audio i34, Peachtree amp500, Adcom GFP-565 GFA-535ii, 545ii, 555ii
    Digital: SimAudio HAD230 DAC, iMac 20in/Amarra,
    Speakers: Paradigm Performa F75, Magnepan .7, Totem Model 1's, ACI Emerald XL, Celestion Si Stands. Totem Dreamcatcher sub
    Analog: Technics SL-J2 w/Pickering 3000D, SimAudio LP5.3 phono pre
    Cable/Wires: Cardas, AudioArt, Shunyata Venom 3
  • MSALLA
    MSALLA Posts: 1,602
    edited December 2006
    I always thought of Klipsch and Polk's as apples and oranges. Not the same sound at all. Klipsch is a little to intense for me.
    Michael

Samsung 50" HD DLP
    Yamaha RX-V2500
    (2) Outlaw 200
    Adcom GFA 555
    Sony BDP300
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Lsi9's mains
    Lsi7's rear
    Lsic center
    12.1 SVS driver in 4.53 cuft. tube
    Harmony 880
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited December 2006
    I'm of the opinion that Klipsch speakers, while fine products, really need tube amps to really have the Legendary K sound they are famous for.

Someday soon I'm gonna get myself some Heritage Klipsch and power them with some of my tube amps.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dafirst
    dafirst Posts: 20
    edited February 2017
    I believe the Klipsch looks more beautiful than the Polks. I am using the Rti12 and cosmeticaly, it didn't present my living room with what I wanted. Sound wise, they are amazing without a sub in 2 channel.
    sbpolk wrote: »
    McCelery wrote:
    I also think they're ugly as sin. And I won't give an inch on that ;)

See, I think they are fantastic looking! I think the RF-82/RC-62 I had was much nicer LOOKING than the RTi12/CSi5 combo I contemplated! :p

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    It comes down to what you like. Both companies make fantastic speakers at the respected price points. I like them both
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    edited February 2017
    I am thinking that "Maybe" he made his decision several years ago?? >:)
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    vmaxer wrote: »
    I am thinking that "Maybe" he made his decision several years ago?? >:)

Yeah, like 10...