Pioneer Elite 43TX or H/K AVR525?

jltrdavis
jltrdavis Posts: 78
edited November 2002 in Electronics
Anyone have any opinions on the Pioneer Elite 43TX vs. the H/K AVR525 running a LSi15/LSiC/LSi7 combo?

-Jason
Post edited by jltrdavis on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    What are your long term plans for your main hardware? Have you checked out Rotel, NAD, or other brands that you can get in that price range or for just a little bit more?

Have you considered seperates in that price range? Do you plan on adding seperate amps later on?

IMO those are two really good receivers, but they will not bring the LSi15 out to it's full potential. Remember that these are 4 ohm speakers and can dip to 2 ohms at times. It really sucks when you are expecting a thunderous roar when watching a movie... and all you get is something that sounds like Russman passing last nights mexican food.
  • jltrdavis
    edited November 2002
    I have a NAD T751 and it just doesn't have the omph for the LSi15's. A friend of mine brought over his H/K Signature 2.1 (100x5, 100 amps) and it just brought my whole system alive. Before that I was beginning to wonder if the 8 inch woofer on the LSi15 was just for looks, but finding a H/K Signature 2.0/2.1 combo on my budget is unlikely. I'd like to check out Rotel too but the only dealer in my area is the kind that you visit in the daytime if you know what I mean.

Yes, long term I'd love to get seperates, just not in my budget unless you can get a 5 channel preamp / amp combo for less than $800.

-Jason
  • phuz
    edited November 2002
    If I were you, I'd just pick up a nice 5 channel amp (NAD, B&W, Parasound, Rotel, etc) and use the NAD T751 as a pre/pro. A nice fat amp with lots of power will give you the 'oomf' that you are looking for. Those receivers won't.

Any of that stuff can be had on ebay for really cheap.

There is a gentleman over at the home theater forums selling a 5ch B&K amp for around $595 or so. If I were you, I'd snag it and feed those LSi speakers some good healthy POWER.

Just my opinion though. I know some will tell ya different. Either way you will be hard pressed to find a receiver for $800 that will make those LSi's sing. Not saying it's impossible or that those receivers aren't good, but the LSi line is really demanding if you want full performance.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited November 2002
    I wouldn't buy those receivers for LSi....Naaaaaa.

Now if you want to hear the LSi's go check out the Rotel rsx1055.Super killer receiver.It's not really a receiver but an Intergraded amp/preamp and tuner.Super clean and will drive the Lsi's well and better then almost all other receivers.MacIntosh MHT100,B&K avr307 and 507,Rotel rsx1065 and last but not least(well maybe)Sunfire's receiver.They call it Ultimate receiver..sounds nice and has good clean power........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • phuz
    edited November 2002
    Dan, I have one question:

WHERE CAN YOU GET THAT RECEIVER FOR $800?!?!?!?!?!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Big Bag (again) ((of nothing)).

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    lets see he has enough money to bag the Lsi15's the center and some Lsi7's......gee not a cheap setup.......but now it comes time to power them and wow I'm out of dough.........

I say buy what you want......want advice???I got some......I'm not going to tell you to pick up a Pioneer Elite low end receiver....want one...look at the vsx47 or 49tx....enough current to support the needs of the Lsi's.....correct?

800.00......for a 5 channel amps.......Maybe used Rotel Rmb1075....thats possible, but what about the preamp????Lets see.........it tells me you need the rsp1066.............sorry it's 1499.99.........just for the preamp.

Want high end sound.......spend the money.Why not just buy rt's, they run fine off of receivers...........

Lsi's don't ...............................................So Russ where's all your EVERYTHING....?????got nothing for the fella???Sounds like he needs some help.......did you help him??????I don't think so.......So who has the big bag of nothing now.........
    Dan
  • jmanpolk
    jmanpolk Posts: 12
    edited November 2002
    I think you ought to get a Denon. I have personally not had any problems with my Denon 3802. I do not like the HK's. I think they are crap. They look very cheesy with the multicolor lights on the front. Any HK/Infinity stuff is just mediocre sounding. The Pioneer Elite is probably ok..it is the top o the line Pioneer. Sony ES line receivers sound awesome as well. I have a friend who has a Sony DA5ES and it rocks. Sounds very similar to my 3802.
  • phuz
    edited November 2002
    Toss in a 5ch amp now. Rotel, Parasound, B&K. 5ch amps can be had for less than $800 used/demo, and some new. Check all of your local hi-fi shops for demo and consignment gear.

The Parasound 855a goes for about $600 brand new right now. I think it's conservatively rated at 85wpc all channels driven, and almost double that at 4 ohms. Quality power for your LSi.

That'll give you the 'oomf' and good sound. Later on you can always upgrade to a DD/DTS pre/pro if you want to improve to 'best' sound.

Thats what I would do. Sounds like a logical upgrade path huh?
  • jltrdavis
    edited November 2002
    You guys are just too much fun. Anyway. My initial intention in purchasing the LSi series was to power them with seperates. Shoot, I'd give my left nut for a Rotel RSP-1066/RMB-1095 but if I came home with that now I think the wife would remove my remaining male organs.

I was looking for a mid-level solution that would improve my currnet situation but from what I'm hearing I'm just wasting my time with that and should just bite the bullet and fork out the cash. (Followed by several visits to the local florist afterwards.)

-Jason
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Jason,
    I think in the long run you'll be happier with saving your cash and getting seperates or a high end receiver from my elite list above.If you already own a receiver now with preout's go get the Rotel amp or one of your choice as Phuz suggests and save for the pre amp...not my style but might help your wife factor...but then you gotta hit her with the pre amp down the road........maybe better in one shot instead of 2..less trips to the couch......LOL
    Dan
  • phuz
    edited November 2002
    Ok so I really want to know what you decide Jason. :)

Option 1: Wait it out. No "oomf" for you for a little while.

Option 2: Get "oomf" (an amp) with your current budget. Upgrade to a pre/pro later. (as you've already stated, you liked the way the other amps sounded, go for it!)

(_!_) thats for you dan. :p

Let us know!
  • jltrdavis
    edited November 2002
    Dan,
    Sounds like a plan. I'll go check out your beloved Rotel. Never had a chance to give them a listen before. I'll post a review after I do.

-Jason
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    Thanks Phuz,
    glad you like my style.(all good)!!!

Jason,
    have fun listening to Rotel.Hope Lsi's are in the house when you do......good combo.I'll wait for your report back.
    Dan
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2002
    Jason,
    check out the rsx-1065 as one of the compromise....it's a bit cheaper than going the rsp1066/rmb1095, but it will make those lsi sing

I was initially considering these two options too, but had some space issues, and decided to check out the 1065. I auditioned this puppy several times, comparing them with the other option (1066/1095) and can't really tell the difference (honestly) and then to find out the fact that 1066 and 1065 has the same processor, I was convinced to go with 1065. Along the way, Mantis had provided me with enough education to counter my buyer remorse (I know, I am a bit cautious before spending 2G on a receiver), since initially I was planning to run the LSi on my Denon 2802 (which had found a new home of a friend). Today, I would swear by it, had order the firmware cable from Rotel and applied the latest firmware without glitch. It's one awesome receiver, looks great and all, best of it, it makes my LSi collection sing loud and clear (plenty of oomph too).

Just my .02 cents
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    I was initially considering these two options too, but had some space issues, and decided to check out the 1065. I auditioned this puppy several times, comparing them with the other option (1066/1095) and can't really tell the difference (honestly) and then to find out the fact that 1066 and 1065 has the same processor, I was convinced to go with 1065.

this is what I'm talking abut what seperates most common run of the mill receivers with intergraded receivers like the big badass Rotel rsx1065.You can comapre it's sound quality against most lower end seperates.It retains Rotels sound quality dynamic range and preamp......it's the same just in one box......super cool.

For 2 grand I don't think it can be beat.....no way!!!.It's the deal of the century for audio and video.So is it's little brother in the rsx1055.....another fine find.:D
    Dan
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    jltrdavis,
    Don't go overboard if you can't afford it!! Better to wait it out with a good receiver until you can afford to get the seperates you want. I'm talking from experience here buddy. I just returned a "loaner" Anthem PVA-7 amp today. The "new in box" amp showed up but business has been slow so I was not able to get it. Not a good feeling but there are more important things in life!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    edited November 2002
    FrankZ,
    agreed.
    Dan
  • NDTA
    NDTA Posts: 83
    edited November 2002
    If you can find the Pioneer VSX 39TX receiver now, go get it, you will be happy with that decision, it probably save you at least $1000 instead of getting the 47 or 49.
  • mangata572
    mangata572 Posts: 52
    edited November 2002
    FrankZ,
    How did you like the Anthem PVA-7? I am using a h/k reciever until I can afford seperates. I like the looks/features/reviews of the Anthem AVM-20 pre & PVA-7 amp, however it may be some time before the $$$.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    I liked it alot! If you didn't already know, it is rated a 140Wx7 into 4ohms. There are other amps out there that have more power but 140w was plenty for my system. I almost lost a **** lifting it though, it was one heavy SOB.

I wish things would have worked out better but I'll get it one of these days! Maybe I'll just start begging for loose change from all of my friends here!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by Frank Z

Maybe I'll just start begging for loose change from all of my friends here!!

All my coin this year has gone into the WallStreet vacuum.

If you need to know how to turn a dollar into 40 cents then I'm your man.:lol:

PO is the HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • phuz
    edited November 2002
    Here is the link to that B&K amp. If someone doesn't snag it I will eventually.

I'm sure at this point he's ready to bring the price down.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101015&highlight=B%26K
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited November 2002
    wow,
    such a clean amp, I am very surprised he doesn't list it on audiogon, it would be gone in couple blinks......
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.