NAD unleased the RT2000p

moorefield
moorefield Posts: 23
I've always enjoyed my Polks, but never quite been totally happy with the mids and highs...kind of muddy--turbulence type sound. Well, I added a NAD 218 (225x2) Friday--passed it through a Denon and immediately noticed huge improvements (much more than imagined). WOW i can't believe the difference. The Polks highs and the mids are clearer and more defined...they seem more open sounding, like they have been unleashed. The Denon has a smooth..neutral type of sound and the NAD mixed in well. These improvements were through CD play, I then turned on the DTS LOTR dvd and the improvements here were also noticeable, not as much as 2-channel, but they were there. The musical score was alive and made for an enjoyable night.
I purchased the amp with a future higher-end speaker purchase in mind..but, now the Polks are staying and i'll go the separates route.

If you guys want to push the Polks...try a separate amp and take'm to another level.

setup:
Denon AVR-2801
NAD 218
Denon DVD-1000
Polk RT2000p (front)
Polk CS400 (center)
Polk RT15i (rears)
Post edited by moorefield on

Comments

• carvinman1
    carvinman1 Posts: 62
    edited November 2002
    I added an Aragon 4004MKII to my Outlaw 1050 receiver to power my mains (RT800i). I noticed the improvement immediately. Say what you will, but this is definately a step in the right direction. The Aragon made my mains come alive.
    Danny
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    Originally posted by carvinman1
    I added an Aragon 4004MKII to my Outlaw 1050 receiver to power my mains (RT800i). I noticed the improvement immediately. Say what you will, but this is definately a step in the right direction. The Aragon made my mains come alive.
    Danny

I have a friend that is interested in buying the unit. It looks great to me but what is your overall impression?

Thanks in advance.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2002
    Wow you guys have added seperate amps, and used your receivers as preamps, with GREAT results?

Holy ****!!

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited November 2002
    Will wonders never cease......

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • etrigan
    etrigan Posts: 160
    edited November 2002
    How did you do that :confused:
    I read somewhere that you couldn't do that.
    It just doesn't work ! It's a miracle ! :rolleyes: ;)

CHEERS ! jefff
    Art as expression-Not as market campaigns-Will still capture our imaginations.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    if you get the aragon amp, (4004) mark 2, try to get the pre-amp to (24k-sp), with the pre amp it ups the level a lot more, than with just the aragon amp. it realy makes a differnce
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • carvinman1
    edited November 2002
    HBombToo,
    I have been using the 1050 for over a year and it has been flawless. I added the amp for the mains because I wanted to improve my 2 channel capability. The 1050 is a little outdated because of it's lack of PLII and many digital inputs, but the sound quality is wonderful. I really was not in the market for a 2 channel amp, but a friend made me an offer I could not refuse. I would say that the 65 watts/channel is quite a conservative number. The Outlaw 1050 ROCKS!!!
    Danny
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2002
    I'm glad to see another Outlaw guy out there.... Thought I was the only one. ;)

Question for ya though-- Irregardless of the fact of setting up a 6.1 speaker system can you use the 6.1 feature on the 1050 as an emulator? What I'm asking is if your current settup is 5.1 but you are watching TV(2 Channel) will the 6.1 processor in the Outlaw output in discreet 6.1.
    If so there is your PLII look alike just like my logic 7 processor in my h/k.

Hope I explained my question ok??? :confused:

Regards
    HBomb:)
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    I read somewhere that you couldn't do that

Can I clarify this???????????????????Check this out...

Yes you can add a external amp to your receiver,there are preouts there is a way.Most if not all cases the external amp will sound better then the internal amp.........most of the time.I don't think you should gear yourself with a receiver if you plan on adding amps.I think you should save a couple more bucks and get the correct preamp for the amps you like.

Can we agree on this???????
    "A seperate preamp will sound better then a receiver as a pre amp"

Is that true or am I off from what I have experienced?

I don't think it is such a bad Idea to add amps to your receivers if you plan down the road to upgrade to a preamp......kinda cool you can do this........

Another thing I don't think works well is just adding a amp for better stereo sound.I believe that if your going to add amps,do it for all the channels you use.This way no tonal shifts, no difference in dynamic passes.

I know all of the above posts are rips on liv4fam.He comes off real strong with the way he words things.Last night and the night before I read all that mad,and added some to it.But this topic I personally tried twice and found flaws in it.(leaving out professional experience).I owned a B&K st140 amp,I used to power my rt1000p's with it, then allow my Yamaha rxv992 power the rest of the theater........didn't sound right after I ran movies.Sounded good for 2 channel.Then with the same amp,I bought the Pioneer Elite vsx26tx.Again it ruined MY home theater experience.So I moved it to multiroom duty and forever untill I sold it it stayed.
    I owned the Denon avr3801.Nice sounding receiver for the money,I felt it mated well with my Polks of that time.I upgraded to Lsi15's and felt the Denon couldn't drive them properly.So I bought a seperate 2 channel system in Rotel.I was using this to answer a question about if Rotel and Lsi mated...It did...extremly well.
    I tried using the Denon as a preamp against the Rotel's preamp(RC-971)and not even close in compare.

So thats my point fellas,I'm happy your trying to make improvements in your rigs.Thats what I'm totally about.I only today say this as advice.You can get an even greater sound quality out of using a seperate preamp.........No kicking of anyones current system..
    Dan;)
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • carvinman1
    edited November 2002
    HBombToo,

Your explanation sounds reasonable. I am using my 1050 in 5.1 mode, and have no experience with using the additional channel.

Mantis,

I really think my system sounds great with the addition of the 2 channel amp. The Outlaw 1050 is able to match up quite well for the center and rear channels. Adding the Aragon amp and the SVsubwoofer (20-39PCi) were dramatic in improving my system.
    Danny