Jolida CDP "AA Top Fuel Dragster Mod"

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,708
edited June 2011 in 2 Channel Audio
I was sitting around one day getting a little bored with nothing to tweak for a change when it occured to me that my Jolida CDP would be fun to do up. I bought it slighty modded with upgraded output caps and a Trichord Research clock already installed. The clock is excellent, but the caps were so-so. Anyway, as with all gear it starts with the power supply, so that's were I began. I upgraded the stock 24 gauge supply wire from the IEC to the PS board with 14 gauge Welborne Labs stranded copper and covered all the PS wiring with a black mesh cable cover and red heatshrink tubing on the ends. I removed the entire headphone amp section to help clean up the signal path. Upgraded 4 critical diodes to Fairchild Stealth and replaced the 3 main PS caps with VK Black Gates. Also replacing a few smaller PS caps with Black Gate, Rel Cap and Rubycon.

Next up, the tube output board. Critical caps in the signal path were upgraded to Black Gates, Rel Caps and a single Platinum Sonicap. The tube dampers were completely removed. The board was moved forward a little to allow room for me to work in the 14 gauge wire to the RCA outs. I replaced the output caps with Mundorf Silver/Oil caps which are quite large, not even one of them would fit on the board, so I used an unclad PC board cut to fit in the only void area in the player and mounted the 4 of them there with the wires running down each side of that section to the output board. I also mounted the clock in between the 4 caps as I didn't like where it had been mounted before on the digital board. Since this was a full tilt mod, I decided on WBT Nextgen RCA's for the outputs. Of course, Ei Elite gold pin tubes are used as they sound the best out of all that I've tried including various NOS.

The stock unit has 2 sets of analog outs and one digital. As I only need one set of analog outs and would have never used the digital, I removed the extras. That left me with 3 holes on the back panel, which I could have simply filled with black plastic plugs, but I wanted to do something special. I decided on a custom copper plate. I found a company that would sell me the copper plate and water jet cut it to my specs. This made me very happy as one local machine shop I talked with about this looked at me like I was crazy. The plate arrived a week later packaged like it was the most precious item on earth. It took me 15 minutes to uncrate it. Yes, I said uncrate, complete with banding! I then took the plate to a local metal restoration firm that I've worked with before and had them polish and lacquer it.

I added Dynamat Extreme to just about every square inch of bare metal inside the unit (it came with some Soundcoat added) and lined the entire inside of the top cover leaving the vent slots open, of course.

I lost track of the time and cost, but let's just say that both amounted to quite a bit, but I had a blast doing it.

So, how does it sound you ask? Well, I've only got about 70 hours on it so far and it needs 200, but I can already tell that there is more detail and much better bass. I'm hearing things that I didn't before on this rig, so that's very good. I'll post more about the sound after full burn in.

A list and shout out to some of the people and places that I couldn't have done this without.

Copper Plate:
Farmers Copper LTD., www.farmers-copper.com. If you need anything to do with copper plate, other metals, etc., talk to Jon Thompson, great guy!

Unclad PC boards:
Injectorall, 631-563-3388

Chassis Wire:
Welborne Labs, www.welbornelabs.com. Do not ever call them, they never answer or return phone calls. What's up with that guys???

Connectors:
Mouser Electronics, www.mouser.com. They have it all and then some.

Cable Cover and Heatshrink Tubing:
Parts Express, www.partsexpress.com

Caps, Diodes and WBT RCA's:
Sonic Craft, www.soniccraft.com. Need advice or have questions about caps, etc., talk to Jeff Glowacki. Nobody knows caps like he does, nobody.

Pic 1: A stock Jolida
Pic 2: Modded from the front
Pic 3: Modded from the rear
Pic 4: Modded overview
Pic 5: Close up of the copper plate

Edit for correction of the gauge wire used.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2006
    That's a hardcore, documented mod. I'm proud Jesse.

Now, tell me you aren't running Yugo's in it. That's a 12ax7 discrete output, right? If you are, please let me send you something to roll.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2006
    A few more pics.

Pic 1: Close up of the power supply
    Pic 2: Close up of the tube board

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited October 2006
    Thank you, sir.

Russ, I've tried everything and hands down the best sound is with the Ei Elite gold pins.

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2006
    So that 'Mullard - The Master Valve' shirt you wore at PF was just, well, a clean shirt on any given day?

I've got 12ax7's that will make you **** your flat hat - I wouldn't buy a car from Yugoslavia, much less a tube. Telefunken remakes? My ****, hear the REAL thing. Seriously, cool, hardcore mods - how much are you charging in case I want to get it done? ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2006
    LOL.....I've got Mullards in the Manley. I'm open to try something else, but I think I've tried them all.

There's no way I'm doing another one of these, too much time and money.

President of Club Polk

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited October 2006
    Definately "Hardcore",,you da man!! :)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited October 2006
    That's freakin' fantastic!
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited October 2006
    Very impressive indeed Jessman!:eek:

Mike
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Did ya even mess up your hair while doing all that work??

Impressive, to say the least.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2006
    F1nut wrote:
    There's no way I'm doing another one of these, too much time and money.
    Aw come on - it could be a cool niche market like the guy who does the ST-70s on Agon. :)

Very nice indeed! There are 4 quads of vintage x7s over here from the mothballed MLP and PAS-3X, if you're ever so inclined.
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited October 2006
    One hell of a mod Jesse. Congrats and hope you acquire that noticeable change after 200 hrs.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2006
    Very nice indeed! There are 4 quads of vintage x7s over here from the mothballed MLP and PAS-3X, if you're ever so inclined.

Let him try a couple of those Raytheon Black Plates I sent with the MLP.
    They sounded better than the Tele Smoothplates, imo, ymmv.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited October 2006
    First thing ever posted on this forum that made my mouth drop...

Jesus.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited October 2006
    Wow, you are my hero. I love it.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited October 2006
    Very clean job, Jesse! good deal.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2006
    Jesse,

This deserves a side-by-side composite:
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited October 2006
    Jesse...let me know next time you're bored..I'll ship you some piece of electronics :)

That Jolida is probably worth $5,000...jus for the love put into it :eek: :eek:

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2006
    Can you mod it for op amp on a chip? You know all SS.... Tubes SUCK ;)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• F1nut
    edited October 2006
    Thanks guys!

I owe credit due to Mike for coining the "AA Top Fuel Dragster Mod" and thanks for the side by side, great idea.

President of Club Polk

• schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,328
    edited October 2006
    Congrats Jesse on a professional job and a tremendous upgrade! You've got the ultimate in high end components in there. I'd be interested to know about the background research that you did into mods and the selection of components, type, size, performance, etc.

I think we're all interested in your performance evaluation after you've got everything burned in.

Congrats again! I'll but the work was tedious, but as you mentioned a lot of fun. After all, this is why we do the crazy things we do.
    Carl

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited October 2006
    respect.gif

A1 top notch job Jesse!:cool:

We wouldn't have expected or accepted any less of you either.:D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited October 2006
    Very cool project, I am sure it sounds great. If Jesse is going to do something, it is going to be done right.

Now you have modified everything in the house, go get your **** a woman!
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Roy Munson
    Roy Munson Posts: 886
    edited October 2006
    Jesse, outstanding mod!!

Can't wait for your review after burn in.
    2 Channel:
    Amp/Parasound Halo A23
    Pre/Carver C-1
    Tuner/Carver TX-11a
    CDP/Jolida JD 100A
    Turntable/AR XB-Shure V15 III
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited October 2006
    The silkscreen on the back needs to read..............

Designed and engineered by Jolida.
    Perfected by Jesse.

Very well thought out and executed project Jesse, my hats off to you!
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • F1nut
    edited October 2006
    Carl, I studied the schematics and the Chris Johnson mods and figured I could turn it up a few notches beyond their level 3 mod. The reason I bought the original Jolida was that it had the Trichord Research clock installed, which I felt was an very important upgrade as the stock clock leaves a lot to be desired. CJ offers a different clock upgrade as an option, but I think the Trichord is better. Black Gates have long been recognized as excellent PS caps, so that was a no brainer. The Rel Caps are superior polystyrene and their small size was ideal for the tight quarters involved. The Mundorf's were chosen after consulting with Jeff at Sonic Craft. The parts I removed were not needed and helped to clean up the signal path. The Fairchild's were chosen because they are the best available. Values were kept to the originals as much as possible.

President of Club Polk

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited October 2006
    OMG that's Awesome Jesse!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited October 2006
    Cool mods, bet that sounds schweet.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited October 2006
    Awesome!

I'm very impressed. I can't even get the light to work on my pre and wouldn't know where to start. . . whereas you redesigned and greatly improved what already was a great piece of equipment.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited October 2006
    Very nice! That is a labor of love to be sure! Enjoy!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited October 2006
    You should see that BEEYOTCH in person. Thise four caps are friggin LARGE. And the copper plate is wicked shiny and nice...

Just a DAMN fine piece of work. I can't wait to hear it.