seperates?

MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
edited November 2002 in Electronics
i hear every1 talking about seperates, and im trying to figure out how u do this...lol

how do u hook them up?
heres what i think, u take rca plugs, and lead them to the input outputs on ur receiver/preamp, then u plug the speakers in on ur preamp? ---- but heres my question, how would u run all ur speakers, and they still sound right if u only have 1 amp driving two speakers, but the rest of the speakers are hooked up to a receiver...or is this even possible?
also
what is better? four 2 channel seperate amps, for 7 channel sound
or a 5 or 7 channel seperate amp?
im sorry for all these dumb question, but curiosity is killing me..lol
well newayz thanx for ne answers...
-MX-
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited November 2002
    If you want to add a seperate amp to your existing receiver you will need make sure that you have the "Pre-outs" on your receiver. You simply connect the Pre-outs via RCA connectors to the inputs on the Amp.
    Basically all that happens is your receiver sends the non-amplified signals to the seperate amp's inputs, your speakers are connected to the binding posts on the amp. Your receiver is then being used for processing duties only (ie:source selection, bass management, video switching, etc.). The amount of seperate amp channels is a matter of personal choice really. Some folks drive their mains (front) with a 2 channel amp and use the receivers amp to drive the remaining speakers. Others use a 5 or 7 channel amp and drive all of their speakers. There really is no better or worse with regards to the number of amps used, it all boils down to what you want to do and how much you are willing to spend. Right now I have a "loaner" Anthem PVA-7 amp hooked up to my receiver, but if I hit the Lotto I'll go with 7 Mono Blocks!
    As for using a receiver as a pre-amp, there's nothing wrong with it except you end up paying for amplification that is not being used, that seems like a waste. That's one of the reasons I'm saving all of my pennies and buying an Anthem AVM-20 pre-amp!

Receivers are a convenient way of getting everything in one package. For some that is a great way to get what they want without a rack full of gear, for others seperates allow them to mix and match components to achieve the sound quality that suits their needs.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    Nicely done Frank.....

For my personal preference,now this is based of the duties of my system.......Hometheater and 2 channel in one room.

I'm going to be using the Rotel rsp1066 preamp
    Then to drive my Lsi 15's a RB1075 2 channel amp.
    Now for the Lsi center Lsi fx and lsi7's,I'm going to use the rmb1075 5 channel amp.I feel this is the best way to do what I'm going to do with my new system.
    The hookup that Frank talked about is correct.You can enter seperates wih a receiver,by adding a multichannel amp or just a 2 channel amp.I'm personally not a fan of just adding a 2 channel amp for my own reasons.I think a Multichannel amp would be a better choice, then down the road maybe getting the matching preamp.Just my opnion.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited November 2002
    im a strange person..lol with weird ideas...newayz
    so technically...if u hooked a 5 channel amp up to ur receiver, with rca plugs, and hooked the speakers up to the amps, u then could hook 5 more speakers up to the amps in ur receiver...is this a correct thought or just something that my mind thought of and could never be done?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2002
    2 words
    KA
    BOOM
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited November 2002
    so everything would blow up? lol
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited November 2002
    it would be like having two systems in one place it mite sound good or bad, but most new multi-channel receivers wont play there internal amps or amp wend you use the pre outputs, all it dose is rederect the signal from the interal amp to the pre out there is a sensor that activates this process wend you plug the rca in the pre out for that convertion on that channel, so you loose the signal out of your speaker out put off that channel.
    some of the older receivers had a pre out and main in with u connectors with those receivers you can take out the u connectors and put y connectors and use a external amp and the receivers amp they where all 2 channel receivers. i dont know if they have multi-channel receivers that have all pre outs and all mains in , if they do then you can use both internal amps and external amp. but the new receivers are missing all the mains in .i think, i could be wrong because in dont know if all the multi channel-receivers and pre-pros.haves this convertion process or not. but i guess they do.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Frank Z
    edited November 2002
    No it won't blow up, I was kidding.....BOOM! There I go again.