Component Cables...should I upgrade?

yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
edited November 2002 in Electronics
So, I have a Mits 65' HDTV and my Sony DVP-S9000ES is hooked up to it via Monster Video1 component cabling. My S-Video cabling is Video3. Should I upgrade the component cabling to Video3 as well or would I even notice?

Parasound AT2205 (220x5) connected to Parasound AVC2500u Pre/Pro is also connected with entry level Monster. Would an upgrade be worthwhile there as well?
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited November 2002
    Only if you want to. I recommend that you try out some other cables/wires, and see if you can tell a difference first. Circuit City has a good return policy, and I'm sure there may be some other places local to you that would let you try before you buy.

I'm curious, how do you like your parasound gear? What did you compare it to and what makde you get the parasound instead of something else? I'm considering a parasound 5ch amp so all the info/opinions you can provide would help a lot. :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    Any companies good quality video cable are good enough.This is the one place I haven't seen a big enough difference to buy the super top of the line video cables........unless your running long lengths, thenyou want to look into better cables.If your tv is close to your equipment,Monster video componet cables are fine.I'd go as high as M500 series.I demo'd 500 vs 1000 and unless you have a front projector with a screen size of 100+ inche's,it's real hard to tell them apart.I own Transparent Component cables,they are considered reference quality,compared to Monster's M1000,it's so close that like I said without using a front projector setup,you'll be real hard pressed to see a difference.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • yoeddy
    edited November 2002
    But Mantis, these are the Video1 series that I have. Jumping to a Video3 or an M Series should do something I would think. I have the bottom of the barrell component cable. I use a 4 meter cable...is that a 'long' cable that would require an upgrade?
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited November 2002
    Yea, going to the Video3 or the M series (might as well, IMO) would make a difference in higher end sources like DVD players.

4 meter, that's still short in the long term of things.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • yoeddy
    edited November 2002
    So I think I'm going to overhaul the system with Monster M Series cables...granted the demo is good. What would you guys recommend for interconnects for the 5 channels from the preamp to the amp?
  • yoeddy
    edited November 2002
    Hey mantis...

So I have a Transparent dealer in my city. From what I have read, their prices can get pretty wicked. What would be comparable to M Series Monster stuff. What setup do you have...ballpark prices as well?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited November 2002
    Dude,
    Monster doesn't have prices like Transparent does.....Monstercaable's best video is M1000......they are one hell of a cable.....Transparent video are equally as good if not slighty better...but like I said you'll be hard pressed to see it unless your running a Projector.....If they carry both Transparent and Monster......see if they will let you do a side by side test in the store....it's fun......now audio cables and speakers wires????Transparent wins hands down........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited November 2002
    Hey dude, up grade to Monster M cable is a good investment to your existing A/V eguipment, I replaced all of my cables with the Monster M series, since then, I never look back. So if you decide to do it, up-grade for the best and don't settle for the middle...
  • yoeddy
    edited November 2002
    PETERNG (or anyone who wishes to respond)...If I were to upgrade to the M500 series, would that be close to the 1000 regarding performance. It's another $50 to go to the 1k, but only an extra 15 bucks up from the Video3 series component.
  • PETERNG
    edited November 2002
    If your budget allows, I would go for the M1000( cab fare for a decent trip to downtown NY city cost more than 35 bucks), I do not know that you can see the difference between the two, but I know for sure the M1000's performance is absolutely worth every penny that you're paying for and your equipment does deserve it. Also I'm one of a lucky guy that can buy any Monster product at 60% of retail, so when I did the major overhaul on all of my inter-connect and speaker cables, it didn't cost me as much as I have to pay based on the retailed price...
  • yoeddy
    edited November 2002
    PETERNG...thanks man for the info. I don't suppose you could share the "60% off of retail" love?
  • PETERNG
    edited November 2002
    Sorry, no can do man, too much paper work involve...