Show me your ****(embly), and let me get in your guts baby!

Comments

• speakergeek
    speakergeek Posts: 555
    edited August 2006
    THe old Sony ES stuff is very impressive. THey just don't make em that way any more. Great photos.
  • speakergeek
    edited August 2006
    Mhardy6647-That's some great vintage gear you have there.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited August 2006
    Thanks, but most of it's pretty low-end. I do have a few nicer pieces.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited September 2006
    Just got it today, 180,000 uF cap upgrade.Had to hear one for myself.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited September 2006
    That Stratos looks powerful as hell, George. You gotta do a review of it once you've had a listen.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited September 2006
    Not great pics... but it was 530am when I took the shots

I could not find the DAC
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    edited September 2006
    AN article in HT magazine was talking about an Arcam up-covnerting DVD player which sells for 2K it uses an Zoran Vaddis chip. So does my LG, not the exact chip but if it's good enough for a 2K player the chip type must but great for a 150$ player.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited September 2006
    Zero wrote:
    Henry Ho is the type of guy that refuses to skimp on a design. Most class D amp's enable manufactorers to take the cost-effective way out. Henry elects to give the transistors exactly what they need to perform optimally. This is one "liquid" and dynamic sounding amp. Unlike many high powered class D amps I come across, it keeps your foot tappin to the music and doesnt leave a hollow empty void where the emotion should be. Four total power supplies - achieving over a KW of potential output. 200,000 uf of capacitance *per channel*. Consumes about 10 watts in idle. The damping factor is around 1600 or so. Gotta love it.

Dammmmn! those are huge. how much does said unit weight? :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited September 2006
    billbillw wrote:
    DarqueKnight, how do you deal with the heat that your 808 makes? These things are so biased to class A, that they put out a ton of heat.

I have quite a few high-biased, hot running, MOSFET amps. As long as I don't put them in a totally enclosed cabinet and leave a few inches of space above them, they won't heat up the room.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,163
    edited September 2006
    I have quite a few high-biased, hot running, MOSFET amps. As long as I don't put them in a totally enclosed cabinet and leave a few inches of space above them, they won't heat up the room.

I've got mine in a Salamander Synergy (I see you have a couple of those too) with mesh front, closed sides, and open in the back. It definetly heats things up. The heat builds up and "soaks" up through the whole cabinet until my SACD player on top starts to get a little too warm for my taste (it gets somewhat warm on its own).

To prevent any problems, I mounted a 12cm low speed fan behind the cabinet, gently blowing air across the top of the amp and pushing the heat out the front of the cabinet. It seems to do the trick pretty well because with the fan on, the is no heat buildup in the upper shelves.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • Normanality
    Normanality Posts: 297
    edited September 2006
    Another view of the Modwright SWL 9.0SE only with the new Blue Anodized aluminum face plate and the modded power supply to include BlackGate capacitors and a Sowter transformer which is designed to work with both high gain SS or tube amplifiers.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2006
    billbillw wrote:
    I've got mine in a Salamander Synergy (I see you have a couple of those too) with mesh front, closed sides, and open in the back. It definetly heats things up. The heat builds up and "soaks" up through the whole cabinet until my SACD player on top starts to get a little too warm for my taste (it gets somewhat warm on its own).

In my two channel Salamander cabinet, I replaced the wood side panels with metal mesh panels and I have 13 inches of space above the amps. The back is open. My SACD player and turntable sit on top of the cabinet. Using a couple of $5 digital thermometers purchased from Walmart (shown below), I took some temperature measurements after all components had been turned on and music had been playing at a moderate level (85 dB) for one hour:

1. Temperature at left amp heat sink: 108 degrees.
    2. Temperature at shelf above left amp: 82 degrees.
    3. Temperature at center section top shelf: 87 degrees.
    4. Temperature at center section second shelf: 85 degrees.
    5. Temperature at center section third shelf: 81 degrees.
    6. Temperature at center section bottom: 83 degrees.
    7. Temperature at right amp heat sink: 109 degrees.
    8. Temperature at shelf above right amp: 82 degrees.
    9. Temperature at top of turntable cover: 71 degrees.
    10. Temperature at top of SACD player case: 81 degrees.
    11. Ambient room temperature: 71 degrees.

billbillw wrote:
    To prevent any problems, I mounted a 12cm low speed fan behind the cabinet, gently blowing air across the top of the amp and pushing the heat out the front of the cabinet. It seems to do the trick pretty well because with the fan on, the is no heat buildup in the upper shelves.

I thought about mounting a fan on the wall behind each amp, but after taking the temperature measurements I didn't think fans were needed.
  • Normanality
    edited September 2006
    Not for the feint of heart :D
    (Relegated to be sold thanks to Paul at Tube Audio Design ;)
  • Normanality
    edited September 2006
    Complete with separate power supply and MM phono section.
    (Relegated to be sold thanks to Mr Modwright) ;)
  • speakergeek
    edited September 2006
    This is one of the better threads out there right now!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    edited September 2006
    with a moniker like 'speakergeek', perhaps you're interested in speaker guts?

Teh innards of a 1974 Klipsch Cornwall. Stock 'cept for a bunch of "Moretite" rope caulk applied to damp the cast metal MR horn a bit:
    dampedcornyhornies.jpg

How about an under construction shot of one of my mass loaded, folded TQWT's, built by a friend of mine using Bob Brines' design:

http://www.geocities.com/rbrines1/Pages/Proposals.html#RS%2040-1354a
    markh2.jpg

Here's das Ding an sich, with R/S 40-1354 5-1/4" FR driver augmented with a R/S 40-1357 planar tweeter.
    TQWT.jpg
  • billbillw
    edited September 2006
    In my two channel Salamander cabinet, I replaced the wood side panels with metal mesh panels and I have 13 inches of space above the amps. The back is open. My SACD player and turntable sit on top of the cabinet. Using a couple of $5 digital thermometers purchased from Walmart (shown below), I took some temperature measurements after all components had been turned on and music had been playing at a moderate level (85 dB) for one hour:

1. Temperature at left amp heat sink: 108 degrees.
    2. Temperature at shelf above left amp: 82 degrees.
    3. Temperature at center section top shelf: 87 degrees.
    4. Temperature at center section second shelf: 85 degrees.
    5. Temperature at center section third shelf: 81 degrees.
    6. Temperature at center section bottom: 83 degrees.
    7. Temperature at right amp heat sink: 109 degrees.
    8. Temperature at shelf above right amp: 82 degrees.
    9. Temperature at top of turntable cover: 71 degrees.
    10. Temperature at top of SACD player case: 81 degrees.
    11. Ambient room temperature: 71 degrees.

I thought about mounting a fan on the wall behind each amp, but after taking the temperature measurements I didn't think fans were needed.

Man,
    You got sophisticated on my ****! Are those measurements with the setup shown in the photos? I'm assuming so. Nice to have the triple wide setup and the extra top space. Mine is a single, S40, and the top is used by the turntable, so the SACD is stuck inside. If it were on top, I probably wouldn't be concerned at all.

I can't get that much height above my amp. I'll have to run some temps to know for sure, but but I'd easily say that the Sony is running hotter at the heatsink than your Parasounds. I would guess that the F808ES runs just as hot as my F333ESL. Without the fan, the top of the Sony is borderline too hot to touch! Of course, in Georgia, my ambient room temp is a bit higher too. I probably won't see 71 ambient room temp until October.

You mentioned mesh sides on your cabinet. Was that a custom thing or did Salamander have something that fit? I might need to consider that. I'm sure it would help. I never really liked the look of the fake wood side panels anyway.
  • billbillw
    edited September 2006
    I took a few temps today.

Without the rear fan on, I was reading about 121 F just above the heatsink of the amp after about an hour of play. The shelf above (my tuner) was still only about 85 F. I think this would continue to rise with extended listening w/out the fan. The inside top shelf where the SACD is, was up to about 90 F. Ambient room temp was about 76 F.

With the fan on, above the heatsink of the amp is only about 89 F. The next shelf with the tuner stays close to room temp. The tuner really doesn't warm up on its own. (that explains why there are no vents!) Funny thing is the shelf around the SACD player still gets up close to about 85 F. I guess the SACD runs a little warm on its own.

So, the fan definetly helps remove the heat from the amp, which should help with longevity, but it has a minimal effect on the temp around the SACD player. Sometimes, the fan is slightly audible, which can be annoying in soft passages, but most of the time, its well below the average music level.
  • DarqueKnight
    edited September 2006
    billbillw wrote:
    Are those measurements with the setup shown in the photos?

Yes.
    billbillw wrote:
    Nice to have the triple wide setup and the extra top space. Mine is a single, S40, and the top is used by the turntable, so the SACD is stuck inside. If it were on top, I probably wouldn't be concerned at all.

I used to have the SACD player and turntable inside the cabinet, but I got tired of having to open the cabinet doors to access my source components.
    billbillw wrote:
    Of course, in Georgia, my ambient room temp is a bit higher too. I probably won't see 71 ambient room temp until October.

Neither would I, unless the AC is on.;)
    billbillw wrote:
    You mentioned mesh sides on your cabinet. Was that a custom thing or did Salamander have something that fit? I might need to consider that. I'm sure it would help. I never really liked the look of the fake wood side panels anyway.

Salamander makes black metal mesh side panels for the Synergy series cabinets. The top shelves above the amps were 10 degrees cooler with the mesh side panels.
  • billbillw
    edited September 2006
    Yes.
    Neither would I, unless the AC is on.;)
    Can't afford to cool things below 76 in Georiga. The power co. says keep it at78.
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited September 2006
    I can't afford to cool things below 76 in Florida. The power co. say keep it at 78f, but I'm doing 79f.

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2006
    PS Audio GCA-250, dual mono switching amp. Opened up to install the critical link fuses.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    Faceplate:
    272232051_5835b9f8a4.jpg?v=0
    Guts:
    272224967_10b20034b6.jpg?v=0
    Guts:
    272224954_6751241851.jpg?v=0
    Connections:
    272232048_45035f857a.jpg?v=0

EDIT - Hmmm...that's not exactly what I was hoping for...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • billbillw
    edited October 2006
    Nice guts on the Parasound
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2006
    ...I don't know if you're serious or not...but it doesn't make a difference. Just to be sure, I capitalized it for the first one, and it still doesn't work. I'm going to have to host the pictures elsewhere to link the here, or, more likely, I'll just end up resizing them to attach here. Sometime...
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • billbillw
    edited October 2006
    audiobliss wrote:
    Faceplate:
    272232051_5835b9f8a4.jpg
    Guts:
    272224967_10b20034b6.jpg
    Guts:
    272224954_6751241851.jpg
    Connections:
    272232048_45035f857a.jpg

EDIT - Hmmm...that's not exactly what I was hoping for...

Try removing everything after the .jpg
  • nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited October 2006
    Outlaw Audio ICBM-1
    Front
    Front.jpg

Guts
    Guts.jpg
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited October 2006
    nebborjk,

Why did you remove those pictures, they looked sweet?

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• nebborjk
    nebborjk Posts: 425
    edited November 2006
    disneyjoe7 wrote:
    nebborjk,

Why did you remove those pictures, they looked sweet?

Pics, should still be there. I see them anyway. I only reformated the post to include a thumbnail instead of just a link. Can you not see them?
    Proud SOPA Member since 2005!
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited November 2006