So, is shorter sometimes actually better?

stevew14
stevew14 Posts: 130
Years ago I purchased some Kimber Cable 4 pr speaker wire and have been using it ever since. The length was 25 ft. per side because of room layout and positioning. I now have some new RTi 150s and despite differing opinions on the subject, I am going to bi-wire these speakers. My current setup (probably for years to come) requires only 15 ft max length, so I could lop off 10 feet per side. I have some Sound King 12 gauge (from Parts Express) I plan to use for the lows and the Kimber for the highs. I was just wondering if the reduction in length from 25 to 15 is likely to make any difference or not. I am using a 250 watt per side Carver amp for power.

Thanks for any comments.
Post edited by stevew14 on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    With wire, the theory goes that the shorter the run, the better.

If you are trimming the kimber, I don't suppose the trimmings would be long enough to use as the other pair of wires?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited October 2002
    Of course, theoretically speaking shorter would be better.
    But realistically speaking, a difference of 10 feet would be negligible.

-Luc
  • stevew14
    edited October 2002
    If I cut 10 ft from each side then I could use all Kimber, but that would mean one side would be 10 ft and the other, 15. Wouldn't it be better to go with equal lengths on each side, even if it means using the Sound King 12 ga for the bottom?
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    IMO, I would rather go with using the Kimber all the way around. If 10" will suffice, why not cut each length in half?

BDT
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    If you still want to mix/match the kimber/sound king you can mail me the left over wire for nothing of course.
  • stevew14
    edited October 2002
    Unfortunately one side has to be 15'
  • TroyD
    edited October 2002
    I still would go with the Kimber all the way around. Just MHO.

BDT
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    I agree....Kimber all the way.If you want to bi wire them and one side needs 15 and the other side only needs 10.........well without spending any money,do it.Us and make your bi wires that way.......5 feet???well I wouldn't sweat it.It's timing correct to have them exactly the same length,but in those short lengths......no worries......do it up man....
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    The other idea is to sell them on audiogon and buy Kimber bi wires in the length you need which would be 15 feet........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.