sony 4es

nico
nico Posts: 104
edited October 2002 in Electronics
Hi guys I just got my new SONY 4ES 2 days ago and so far I like it. My question is when I switch to a different soundfields my right speaker makes a popping sound right after it changes. Does anyone have any idea what's causing it? I had the older str945 hooked up to it before and it didn't make any popping sound at all. Please help. NICO
SONY 4ES RECEIVER
EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
DENON DVD 2200
SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
RTI50, CS400I, RTI38, RT55I, INFINITY IL SUB
MONSTER CABLES
SONY LCD 50" VEGA
Post edited by nico on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    First, is this 'pop' just when you change soundfields (I assume DPSs), then afterwards, everything is fine?

Switch your left and right speakers (or speaker cables) and see if the problem follows the switch.

Switch (reverse) interconnects (if you are using RCA stereo interconns).

Does it happen with multiple sources, ie: DVD, CD, Tuner, Tape, Phono, VCR, Cable/Dish/Master Ant?

Double check all your connections, I say this, not because it most likely is NOT the problem, but is one of the easiest things to troubleshoot, and rule out cables/inputs.

Try to narrow it down, and let us know what develops....

Cheers,
    Rooster
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    I got alittle experience with that receiver and I never noticed it popping.There are however seperates and receivers on the market that do this and it's normal........some companies deside not to use a soft muting circuit.Reason???they feel it alters the sound quality.Sony uses one......like most everyone else.I will listen for it the next time I install it.Id call Sony about ti or your dealer you purchased it from....try Russ's tips in the meantime.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nico
    edited October 2002
    Thanks for the quick response guys. I tried your suggestions russman and the pop didn't follow the switch. The popping was not as loud any more though. I can still hear a little bit of it. Should I take it back to the good guys and get another one? I feel like it might damage the speakes after a while if the popping persist. Please let me know what you guys think. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited October 2002
    My Sony doesn't pop when I change soundfields. I go from Jazz
    Club, to Normal Surround, to multi-channel 1, to multi-channel 2
    all the time when I listen, and I never hear a sound. Something is
    wrong with your unit. It doesn't pop when I turn it on. Only a click
    response. I have a seperate Carver amp connected to the front 2 channels it would make the speakers pop if I turned it on first and
    then turned on the receiver. So I turn the receiver and all the other powered equipment first then I fire up the Carver no pop.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • nico
    edited October 2002
    Thanks jmasterj I did get a bad unit so I took it back to the good guys and they replaced it for me. They really are the good guys! I got another question for you since you have the same unit. Where do you have your LFE MIX LEVEL set up? and the LFE HIGH CUT? I don't think I have mine set up correctly because my sub seems like it's not there. I don't feel it like I use to with my other receiver (STR945). How do you like using DPL II with music? I kinda like it although I like listening to the AFD with music. Let me know your comments. Thank you NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • jmasterj
    edited October 2002
    nico,

I'm sorry it took so long to get back to you. Iv'e been a little busy.
    I have the STR DB 1070. Sony changed it to the 2ES for this
    model year. Same receiver same price. My LFE MIX LEVEL is set to
    0 db, and my LFE HIGH CUT is set at 99 Hz which is the lowest it will go. I have RT 1000's powered towers in front CS245i center and FX 300i in the rear. The center, and surrounds bass signal is
    routed to my YAMAHA YST-SW320 subwoofer with the HIGH CUT
    set to 100 Hz. Basically the sub only works when I listen to multi-channel sources ie. DVD's SACD,s DVD-AUDIO disc. For two channel music the subs in the speakers are more than enough. I don't use the DPL with music. My receiver is not equiped with DPL-II. As far as the AFD is concerned Auto Format Decoding detects the type of audio signal being input and performs the proper decoding if necessary. It presents the sound as it was recorded/encoded with out adding any effects.I keep it on. By the
    way if you don't have speakers with power subs built in you might
    want to connect the sub to the speaker outputs for the main speakers on the receiver, then connect the speakers to the sub.
    that way you will be using the sub all the time not just for LFE.
    Hope this was helpful, if not I know there is someone on this forum who can help you. Keep asking questions. Good Luck.
  • nico
    edited October 2002
    Thanks for getting back with me. I will try these settings tonight. As far as hooking up the speakers to the sub, do you mean hooking them up with the speaker lines or the the direct LFE lines? Because I have mine hooked up to the LFE line directly to the sub output of the receiver. I've always had it this way with my previous unit and the sub works. Is there a big advantage in hooking it up with the speaker lines as oppose to LFE line? Please let me know cause I want to take full advantage of the subs capability. Thanks NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA
  • jmasterj
    edited October 2002
    Yes I mean hooking them using the speaker wire from the receiver
    to the subwoofer, from the subwoofer to the speakers. I use the
    sub output from the receiver like you do, haven't had any problems with the sub putting out LFE if they are present from the
    source. I can't see any advantage works either way. Just requires
    a little more speaker wire.
  • nico
    edited October 2002
    Thanks I think I'll keep it the way they are cause I don't really want to spend more money on speaker wires. NICO
    SONY 4ES RECEIVER
    EARTHQUAKE 5CH AMP.
    DENON DVD 2200
    SONY 400 DISC CHANGER
    MONSTER CABLES
    SONY LCD 50" VEGA