CD player shopping

caseymou
caseymou Posts: 327
edited October 2002 in Electronics
I am beginning to look around at a new-used cd player to go with my new seperates. Anyone want to discuss the A to D converter specs, what to look for, technicial info, brand suggestions?

Interconnect brand suggestions would be welcomed also. Affordable, that is.
Post edited by caseymou on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2002
    I don't have any particular recommendations, but maybe more specificity will help people. For example, do you want it to be able to play only CD/R/W? Or SACD? HDCD? MP3? If SACD, do you want 2 or 5.1 ch? Note--if you get a 5.1 SACD, aim for one w/built-in bass mgmt.

Do you want it to be able to "communicate" w/computer or processor via an RS232 (?) cable or some other kind of special interconnect?

Single disc or changer? Do you know for sure that you only need one particular type of digital out, or do you need both? Do you plan on frequently, rarely, or never using it as a recording source?

Does your pre/pro, or whatever you use, have a good DAC? If so, maybe you can save money by not getting too hung up on the player's DAC. What gear do you have? That may also help someone make some recommendations. I'm just throwing some things out here, I may not have the terminology right.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    Interconnect brands affordable would be Monster M550I series.Good sound and on the cheap.Great sounding product for the money.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • caseymou
    edited October 2002
    Simple use for me. Two channel rig for 2 ch CD's. I already have a large collection, but anymore I buy sparengly. I will probably look for a mid-end used player with good a to d converter. I wondered what defined an a to d as good. 1 bit 2 bit etc... Dig out is not important, as I don't think my pre (adcom GTP-400) has an a to d built in. Remember this is a second system so price is very important. I hated to pass up the amc cd for sale here not too long ago but the timing was off.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2002
    I'll be of no help for technical, brand suggestions. I say keep an eye on all the local pawnshops, resale stores, etc.

For interconnects, there's been some great (and some not-so-great) things said around here about Signal Cables. I don't have any experience with them, but I have been doing some research on construction and can spot a deal through a mile of fog.
    http://signalcable.com/analog_interconnects.html
    Tell him you're a Polk member and you will probably get a discount. Thanks to Russman.
    There are also a bunch of DIY designs out there. This is the only reason I haven't already bought the Signals.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2002
    Before I bought a Sony CD player to get SACD I listened to several brands (Denon, Yamaha, NAD) and the basic NAD models were very nice for a reasonable price. NAD entry level players over the last few years have been the C520, C521 and C521i (current model) using the 20-bit, Burr-Brown Delta-Sigma DAC. The Burr-Brown DACs have a good reputation. My Sony has the Burr-Brown PCM1702 which is a 20-bit DAC and I have started using the analog outs on the CD player because I think this DAC sounds better than the DAC on my Denon receiver. I liked the sound of the NAD and thought the build quality was good. Some say they are a little plain looking but I tend to like them. The current model lists for $299 and I've seen it on the net for around $229. I have seen the C520 and C521 used for around $150 (Audiogon, Ebay).

I like Audioquest interconnects and their entry level G-strings and Sidewinders are reasonably priced. IMO they are better than the Monster Cable and AR that I had been using.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • tonyv1
    tonyv1 Posts: 365
    edited October 2002
    Check out the Sony DVPNS500V DVD/CD/SACD player for $179.95 at Circuit City. It'll play 2 channel or multi-channel SACDs.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    Try to go 24bit on the Dac's. Having a digital output for future Dac upgrades might be a plus also.

Whats your pricepoint? Off hand budget players, AMC, Cambridge Audio, and NAD would be a good place to start (in the 2-5 Franklin range). If you really want to get your cheap on, look for older ADC, Carver, and Magnavox players. They will usually be 16-20 bit dacs, which is certainly better than the 1bit MASH jobs that are so common today.

There was one Magnavox single disc model that was highly regarded with dual 16-bit dacs, I forget the model number. A hell of a player for the $20-$40 used price tag it usually sports. It's ugly as sin, but sounds simply amazing.

Signal Cables, Audioquest, MIT, AR, IXOS, and Monster all make good, affordable interconn's... Browse through Audioadvisor.com for visuals/info on most.

(yes, I said Monster Dan) ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • caseymou
    edited October 2002
    besides making them yourself, can shorter than .5m cables be bought? I like nad, might try to find some prices on ebay.
  • caseymou
    edited October 2002
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1386315703
    Probably a good deal but I am only looking...at least this week. Not going to hurry too much.
    Russman - for a used unit my range would be to try and stay under $200.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    I'll be watching that one, thanks.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    IMO, the AMC, new, is a tough one to beat for 175. I'm leary used cd players due to the shipping.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    Russ,
    I read that......:p
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited October 2002
    The older Magnavox's are regarded for the Phillips CDM-4 TRANSPORT system, not for their sound quality. I had a CDB-473, and it was okay. I spoke to Frank Van Alstine about modding it (ABOUT 12-14 yrs ago), and due to the fact that it incorporated remote volume, he wouldn't touch it. His exact statement? "You have a Ferrari there, with Sears tires on it." When I called him, it was a scream. His wife answered the phone. She was delighted that I called. Seems she has a lot of trouble getting him out of the basement (laBORatory no doubt) for incidentals....like food and sleep.

The Magnavox that WAS modded to the max by a lot of different people, was the CDB-650. I found one modded by Euphonic Technology, it is the ET-650, and is one of two cd sources I have in my He-Man rig. Sucker cost me all of $5. You read that right, FIVE dollars. The other cd player in that rig is a Radio Shack CD-3400 portable, feeding raw digital data to an Audio Alchemy dde V1.0 DAC. Giant killer of a combo. OF COURSE you don't believe me! I don't care.

The early Carver's sucked, and were NOT manufactured by Carver (DTL-50, DTL-200). I bought a Carver TL-3300 in 1992, and while it didn't suck as bad as the early ones, I preferred the Rat Shack/Audio Alchemy combo all day long. I still have the Carver around here somewhere. The Euph Tech WIPES it soundwise.

My first machine was an ADC 16/1 with no remote, and analog brick wall filters. It was VERY musical. I wish I still had it. I have no idea where it is, or what I did with it.

I have a Toshiba X-750 or some **** on my desk at work. It's also about a million yrs old, but I like the way it sounds. It is also about 30 pounds of cd player. Somebody (not Troy or Russ) told me Toshiba uses nothing but optical grade glass lenses (no plastic), even in the cheapest of machines. Maybe that counts. Maybe it doesn't. Maybe my ears are ****. I don't care.

Anthony Roma
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2002
    The 650 was what I was referring to, BINGO. I've been meaning to re-vist one of the local pawn-o-matics, they had it for Ninteen-Ninety-Nine, I shoulda' bagged it then.

I've got an ADC 16/2 and you've already got dibs on it, when and if. Hell of player, ran me $26 delivered to my door.

Nice read, much-**** grassy-****.

Cheers,
    Rooster (of the Canadian Whiskey drinking Roosters)