Building new house

BDuChane
BDuChane Posts: 7
I'm in the process of building a new home. A/V room will be 20' x 20'. Plan on running all my audio cable in the walls. Anyone know a good source for wall plates for audio. Would love to have 1 wall plate with at least 8 audio ports. Also, any suggestions would be appreciated if you were in the planning stages of building a new home.

Thanks
Post edited by BDuChane on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited October 2002
    Mantis....oh Mantis where are you?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2002
    Where in SC are you at?

Depending on what you are looking for, when I wired my house I got the wall plates at Rat Shack, gold plated 5 way posts w/ 4 sets of posts.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited October 2002
    One word.

NILES.

Local A/V store should carry them.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    OK,
    out of sheer need or Adiction,I'm coming out of retirement.That post got me.

BDuChane,
    Yes Niles is the way to go.They make fantastic plates for audio hookups.Also I'd consider a double gang plate for easier wiring and upgrading down the road.

Yes I also got some tips for you to think about for the future.
    1)Do you want music all around the house?If yes then I'd wire it now.If you need some structured wiring tips on how to get that done.Post back and I can go as far as you would like to know.
    2)conduit pipe from the basement(if you have one)to the attic.Also good for future upgrades.2 inch min.3 inch would be beter.Also consider placing 2 maybe on at one side of the house and another on the other side.
    3)Run cat 5 to all volume control locations..again I can help you with structure.And maybe an extra 16-2 for power run for a keypad down the road or now.
    4)Everywhere your planning on a TV, place 2 cat 5 wires and 2 coax RG6.phone is needed for dss.And if you ever deside on networking, the wires will be in place.Same with Phone locations, use 2 cat 5 wires,you can drop coax there as well but....not really needed,cable network for cable modem still runs off of cat 5.

There's a couple of things to kick around.

O I forgot to suggest......you never said anything about video in your theater room.I'd drop 5 RG6 and at least one cat 5 to the middle of the ceiling for future projector location.....there is a tolerence in where a gun can be mounted due to screen size,If your going to go that route.......talk to me.

I'm also building a new house.....I'm wiring the house with so much wire you'd think it's put together with wire instead of wood(I perfer it that way)So good luck with your prewire, stay at least 12 inches at all possible from power wires, low voltage don't mix well with high voltage.DDon't bend your cat 5 wire in 90 degree turns, use soft bends.....did I miss anything?
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • F1nut
    edited October 2002
    The fish always rise to the bait!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited October 2002
    I'll give you that
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited October 2002
    I'll take it....:D

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    edited October 2002
    Have it you earned it
    Dan
  • F1nut
    edited October 2002
    THANK YOU....THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!

President of Club Polk

• BDuChane
    BDuChane Posts: 7
    edited October 2002
    Niles rocks!!!!. Just spent ~$1000.00 with them. Can wait to get the outlets.

Thanks for all you help. Mantis, are you the same Mantis from the Dss web sites
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    No can't take any credit for who you are talking about......but I'm the same mantis in here:p
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    What did you buy for 1 large? I hope more than some wall plates....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Niles makes a ton of different products.I bet he went crazy on plates,Ir and maybe a speaker selector box.You can spend a G real quick with them.
    They also make some killer inceiling stereo single speakers.I love em.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited October 2002
    I'll wait for the reply, I agree Niles has some good products, my father-in-law chose them for in-walls in his last house. I'm not a big fan of Mylar tweeters (at that price), but they sound pretty nice.

I just question the 'expense' on the wall plates. Now, something with some circuitry or a volume pot, sure, but the wall plates seemed outrageously priced last time I checked.

I can't remember what I paid for mine, but I want to say they were $6-8 for 1 pair (per plate) gold 5-way posts, and $8-10 for 2 pair (per plate) of the same. I think plates ran me around $120 for all 5 zones at the ranch....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    Yeah Niles in walls are very nice sounding.They have a high def series.I did a killer Install with 14 rooms and used a couple of B&K av1260's to power them all, man that house was awesome sounding from room to room.Great combo Niles and B&K amps made.
    Sounds like you got some good deals on some audio plates....cool.
    Dan