I have questions about 6.1 versus 7.1 ??

faster100
faster100 Posts: 6,124
Ok up until now i have had a 6.1 setup and enjoyed dts Es with the rear back speaker in place, Now i sold that speaker to upgrade to a matching polk as that was another brand, BUt now i'm thinking of going 7.1 (surround rear side and backs) instead of the sides and rear center only, Can i still get the 6.1 decoded through this setup or do you need that rear back(single speaker)?
and if so it seems more dvd's come with 6.1 es surround then THX ex for the 7.1 setup, so whats my best bet, I have surrounds now on the side walls RT 15's and planned to get RTI 28's and would use them for the 7.1 setup, Otherwise i will stick with the 6.1 if i would lose it going to 7.1 and so could i use the rt 15's for a rear back channel or does it have to be a actual center speaker like a csi 30?? i have questions and i hope you have answers, Thanks
MY HT RIG:
Sherwood p-965
Sherwood sd871 dvd
Rotel 1075 amp x5
LSI15 mains
LsiC center
LSIfx surround backs
Lsi7 side surrounds
SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
Rotel 1080 stereo amp
Polk sda 2B
kenwood grunt Tuner
realistic lab 450 TT
Signal cable IC
Post edited by faster100 on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    faster100,
    7.1 is 6.1........no thats not a type o(which I do alot)
    7.1 isn't a format, it's just using 2 surround back speakers instead of one.Using a center channel is ok if your room is from small to medium size.If it's more on the larger size, then yes I'd say go with 2 surround back speakers.The rt15's should be moved back to surround back and the rti28's can take there place at your side........damn.

Just so you know if you don't already surround back is mono, a single channel,but using 2 instead on one will give you better coverage.....if needed.Both ways are correct......your call.

Another helpfull tip for placement would be try to set all speakers for rears at the same exact height.......like 72 inches to each tweeter......this makes for full wrap around effect......have fun man.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2002
    7.1 isn't a format, it's just using 2 surround back speakers instead of one.Using a center channel is ok if your room is from small to medium size.
    yep, 7 rears really help if you have a large wide room. Inwhich to spread the sound out. ES and EX are 6.1 formates. Only the DTS is discret. Make sure your reciever can handle 7.1 also.
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    yes it has the 7.1, It needs an extra amp for that but does have it, Its a Integra 7.1 receiver, I made sure when i got it about 8 months ago that it had THX cert. and 7.1. Thanks guys that makes it very clear for me, I had no idea 7.1 was just 6.1 with 2 speakers for back instead of one. I just got my new Carver M400 but the guy conviently left out the fuse, he was kinda being crabby because it sold so cheap i think(online auction) and i think it was done on purpose so now its 10:35 and i just noticed this and can't try it out ugh!!! Thanks and hey what fuse go's in this amp?? It says agc 15 so thats a automotive 15 amp?? Let me know so i can get one.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Also my room is kinda small but could i still do the 2 rear backs and still sound good ??
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    sure I don't see why not.
    Dan
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    hey did anyone see my prior response? UPS just dropped off my new carver M400 and no fuse inside so i cant try it ugh!! It says use agc 15 thats a 15amp? automotive fuse?
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Ok i got the fuse and the amp hooked up, Thing is i don't notice it being any louder? and when the master volume is off 0db and at low levels i hear a hiss from the speakers thats very low and can only be heard with my ear up to the speaker but the right speaker seems to have a low buzz or wizz sound with the hiss, what could this be?? I got the amp so the surrounds would be louder and they are not, am i adding the amp for the wrong reasons?/ Let me know if im off track here
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp
    Polk sda 2B
    kenwood grunt Tuner
    realistic lab 450 TT
    Signal cable IC
  • mantis
    edited October 2002
    the Integra might not supply the right amount of voltage at the given level.I've seen this before.Adding a amp to a receiver is good if you gain sound quality.I'm not sure what the volume thing your looking for is but I'd use a SPL meter and balance the system with the amp in place.......now for Home Theater you might or will notice a difference in Dynamic range.The Carver might have more or less Dynamic range then the internal amps at a given level.The amp might need more output voltage to play as loud or louder then the rest of the system.It would be great if you can, get the same amp for all the channels.

As I understand your post I believe your looking for more in the rears, try the amp there and rebalance the system.......SPL.You can use the internal test tone generator to do this........report back after you balance.
    Dan
    Dan
  • faster100
    edited October 2002
    Actually funny as it seems i just got these 2 amps, I know a guy at a HI-FI shop and he offered me a great deal on a Sonance 5 channel amp for really good price and i might just sell these amps if any is interested?? I put in Jurrasic park 3 today and lowered the fronts and the backs were much louder of course and sounded much better. for the small room i have its very loud, seems this m400 pushes these cheap RT15's really hard they are much louder then i have heard them before.
    MY HT RIG:
    Sherwood p-965
    Sherwood sd871 dvd
    Rotel 1075 amp x5
    LSI15 mains
    LsiC center
    LSIfx surround backs
    Lsi7 side surrounds
    SVS pb12/plus2

2 Channel Rig:

nad 1020 Pre-amp
    Rotel 1080 stereo amp