Plus Piano DLP Projector

mark g. nelson
mark g. nelson Posts: 134
edited October 2002 in Electronics
I was wondering if anyone has seen one of these projectors. For $3300 it might be worth looking at. My theater room is about 1 year off. But the homework has already been started for it.
Post edited by mark g. nelson on

Comments

• scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited October 2002
    Mark - nice to know someone on this forum is considering FP for there HT. Sounds like your HT endeavers are leading you to great world of FP. The Plus Piano DLP is a great projector and awesome value. Just watch an episod of Fresh Gear on tech tv and they had the Sharp9000 next to the Plus Piano and it held its own. As for the $6000 dollar price difference - it just was'nt worth it. The Piano has been given good reviews on sites and HT mag's. It really comes down to research and how much money you want to spend. If you are going to take the plunge into FT try to get a projecter with HD. The FP market is the hottest ticket in HT. Once you take the leap you will never want a "small" tv again. Most HT mag's 2 years ago did not even talk about them and now the are featured, reviewed and on the covers of every HT mag. My starter projecter was an Infocus and I would recommend "for the money" checking into what they have to offer. Now I have the Sanyo PLV60HT LCD and I love it. The FP market is very fast moving and my FP has already been remodeled to the PLV70. Got mine from ProjecterPeople - hands down best sevice, expertise and best prices going. The new DLP chips in development are already going to double constast and picture quality to what is on the market now. WOW.
    GOOD LUCK!!!!! :D
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited October 2002
    i looked in to fp last year i went to a good high end shop and they told me that i would have to spend 10k to get the same quality as i got for my 3 k
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    When I first started planning on my new Home Theater room is involved a 64 inch Pioneer Elite rear projection TV.....untill I carried one up a flight of steps.then Down a flight......Ummmm NO.

Iv'e Installed alot of front projectors.My personal favorite is the Sharp 9000u.Killer video.And control is awesome.Matd with a Firehawk screen from Stewart..I was sold on the second job I did.Man what a picture.The correct screen is key to making your projector look it's best.Gain played a big role yers ago, now it's the grey and firehawks with DLP and LCD guns that make all the difference in the world.I can't think of a better way to fit my theater.....70mm......maybe but not in my relm.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mark g. nelson
    edited October 2002
    Even if I have to save up I will probably go front FP.Hey Mantis I'm glad you brought up screens the FireHawk is the screen I've been looking at. Do you know the cost on that.
    My current system is very nice in the family room and I will keep it there for the wife. She loves to cook and watch movies. (our kitchen and family room are one large room). It has been great having the 2 rooms together my wife is now hooked. She says the current setup is hers when I finish the basement. No problem. (well maybe not thePSW 1200)as long as I get my way on the equpment list I've started. What a sickness we have!!
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2002
    The greyhawk and firehawk from Stewart make all the difference for LCD and DLP'S and are very pricey - expect to spend close to a grand. Da-lite also makes grey screens for much cheaper.
    Did not have the cash in the budget when I wanted to change my white screen - so I did much research on a DIY screen and put together the "perfect" grey color. Used top of the line flat acrylic paint. Achieved about a 20% improvement in the contrast and black levels. Needed the practice so when I get a larger house I can DIY a 15 to 20 footer. Just not an option with an actual screen.;)
  • mark g. nelson
    edited October 2002
    Thanks for the info scott. I think I'm all the right track for the basement. I can't wait to get started on it. But I will take my time.Demo's will be numerous. But thats half the fun. Right. I will post my general plans before I do them to get some feedback. Measure twice cut once!!!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited October 2002
    A grand will well might get you into a 92 or 84 inch fixed screen....maybe.No deluxe.

Stewart is the leader in screens.I can't think of any other company to use.If I'm going to drop all this money on the theater, I'm not going to cheap out on the screen......damn there alot.Well better save for the stewart there more like 15 to 2 g's for a fixed screen....size and type change the price alot.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • scottvamp
    edited October 2002
    Da-Lite sells are way higher than Stewart. Stewart are very good screens - but you pay. My DYI $40 compared to a $1000 was a no brainer. Would be very interesting to see my projector on a Firehawk and see the diff. with my DYI. Which is a painted White Matte that I got on ebay direct for Da-Lite for $90. Would have liked to have the cash for the firehawk but I am more than happy with the out come.