Carver C1000 HT receiver......

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited September 2002 in Electronics
We went over to a friends house last night and he purchased a Carver C1000 a couple months back. I helped him set it up and so forth but didn't really play with it until last night. Now THIS thing is cool. Built like a friggin' tank, 200 wpc, all channels driven (5 channels) with the standard bells and whistles.

I'm REALLY impressed with how that thing sounds (not that I'm biased about carver). While it wouldn't make me want to ditch separates, it's probably the closest in terms of power and sound quality that I've heard.

My only two **** about it are no A/B speakers and the remote is crappy, but that's small taters.

Anyway, you can find them used and on closeout for around a grand, I'm told. If you are in the market for a GOOD receiver, I'd give the Carver some serious thought.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    really
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    Yeah.....REALLY
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    what nascarmann said. Really.

BDT
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2002
    and there we have it! The reallys WIN.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Win what.......a carver........they can have that.
    Dan
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2002
    Mantis some of us out here do not have the cash for a system that meets your standards. A 2000.00 Carver receiver had for 1000.00 is a great deal for some (most). Your turning up your nose is rather snobbish, please show a little respect for us Joe six packers.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    What's your **** with the Carver, Dan?

BDT
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by TroyD
    What's your **** with the Carver, Dan?BDT

Bottom line is does it really matter? He doesn't like Carver, you don't like Rotel........I think that we've all heard it enough......ya?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • nascarmann
    edited September 2002
    We all should get our "used" 60wpc Rotel if we want to be in Dan's class......

I just can't run with "the big boys" I guess......:rolleyes:

KING "little boy" WANNABE
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Brett,

No disrespect to you, but I'm interested in what Dan finds lacking in Carver products. That ok by you?

Of course it doesn't matter in the grand scheme, but what does? It's just a hobby and what's the fun if you can't discuss and debate it.

Furthermore, where did I say I didn't like Rotel? I happen to like Rotel and have said so on more than one occaison.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    No need to get upset about this matter,Id personally like to debate it in peace.

The Carver products of yesteryear just sound to ....how can I put this....transistory.....like a quiet static all the time.Mussy if you will.They in my opnion have a receiver quality type sound,I feel my Denon avr3801 has a better music quality.I have heard many carver amps and receiver's,I don't like they way they sound, built quality seems on the cheap side,they spring clips need to be removed.......but all in all it's personal.

The carver's sound just don't get me going.There preamps I installed sounded flat....in a bad way like no life was present.The Sunfire products like the Tube pre amp and amp(transistor not tube)sound better then the older stuff.But still not for me.I'd rather have a B&K amp and pre over Sunfire/carver for sound reasons.

I know alot of you have limited experience with alot of different gear.I for one have heard more then I should have.I'm not knocking carver or Sunfire....just not my cup of tea.

Rotel on the other hand shocked/WOW'ed me many times over.I can't believe the headroom.Warm and sweat.I like them better then B&K,which I have heard millions of time on alot of different kinds of speakers.

Another amps pre I like very much is Classe.Damn there warm.And even more dynamic then Rotel.If I could afford a Classe Home theater rig,I might go that way over the Rotel gear.But the Rotel I can easily afford.Top of the line is not out of my reach.

All is good guys.

Nascarman.........easy big boy.
    Dan
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Here is a good read about Bob Carver should anyone be interested:

http://www.audio-ideas.com/interview/carver.html

BDT
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Troy ,
    have you listened to anything else but carver??Ever consider anything else?
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    Oh no, I'm gonna PUKE again....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited September 2002
    Mantis, you shock me...
    This may be out of place but for over 10 years I had the Carver CM1090, if memory serves, along with my RTA8T and WOW what a Pre Amp/ Amp combo.
    Before HT existed I had my cable pumped into that puppy hooked up my Blose to the ambient out. 2 Channel and TV were alot of fun for me then and I was not even into it like now.

Carver is some GOOD Stuff my friend. I would still be using it if it didn't go through the similar fate as Gonzo's Monitor.

Respectfully
    HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • nascarmann
    edited September 2002
    If it's not Krell, Rotel, Dynaudio or LSi15.....just use it as a boat anchor....:rolleyes:
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by TroyD
    Brett,

No disrespect to you, but I'm interested in what Dan finds lacking in Carver products. That ok by you?

Of course it doesn't matter in the grand scheme, but what does? It's just a hobby and what's the fun if you can't discuss and debate it.

Furthermore, where did I say I didn't like Rotel? I happen to like Rotel and have said so on more than one occaison.

BDT

Sorry Troy........It wasn't meant to come off as me saying your curiousity is invalid and I wasn't trying to disrespect your post...... I just have seen a TON of posts where arguements between these two lines get personal and tiring.

True about it being a hobby.......I'm trying to learn what I can here and there and have many of y'all to thank. I've just gotten a lil tired of what ends up being quips between people. I wasn't necessarily insinuating that would happen, but past has shown a pattern....

I should have said he prefers rotel and you prefer carver, not that you don't like. I mis-stated.......my bad.

Y'all have a good night.............
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Brett,

No worries man, I didn't mean to chew on ya.

Dan,

Yes, I have listened to quite a few amps, and even own a few, thanks. For me, and for quite a few others Carver gear works VERY well. I have a Denon receiver and have done a direct A/B with a Carver amp and can tell you unequivocally that there is no comparison.

I'm also interested in which Carver products you are talking about. The carver products that I have experience with are all 80's vintage. Bob left in 1994. As far as I know, Carver only made 3 or 4 receivers. The Receiver was a 2ch stereo receiver, I've heard that one. They made one or 2 Prologic receivers in the mid 90's but I haven't a clue about them and then the C1000. The C1000 is, as far as I know the only Carver receiver that was Digital/DTS capable.

Also, I'm asking as you've eluded twice to Sunfire tube amps. When did Sunfire make a tube amp?

BDT
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    The pre amp was tubes, you can see them threw a glass window on the front.I assumed the amp was tubes as well,it was transistor.It was Sunfire.2 channel.

The carver receiver was a stereo receiver not home theater.
    I don't recall the model number's of the carvers I have installed and listened to.The amps where small.Like 3 to 4 inches high.Flat black,with a slight shine of silver in them.
    They also has the rack handles on the faceplate.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    I was curious, as I had never heard of a Sunfire tube amp.

OK, if it was stereo only, than it was probably the Receiver (Carver only made one 2ch receiver that I recall). 150wpc, really big, heavy solid ****. George has one in his 'HT' rig. Sounds very good to me, and he has them pushing a pair of AR9's which are a pretty demanding speaker to drive.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    Troy,
    just remember I'm not ripping on your carver or anyone elses for that matter.I just never really cared for the demo's and Installs I have done with there gear.Now the Sunfire sub???Man they are nice.I would own one if I couldn't get my paws on a REL.There powerfull and small.

The new Sunfire stuff is also nice.Doesn't blow up my skirt but nice built quality and coll **** lookin.

Enjoy your rig dude.I like mine,It's going into a major rebuilt over the next couple of months.I so pumped about it.
    Dan