Can I Use A Sub Cable To........

Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited September 2002 in Electronics
Can I use a spare Monster subwoofer cable to connect between the rear center pre-out on my HT receiver and the Harman/Kardon amp I will be using to power the rear center?

I guess I don't know enough about the sub cable design - is it designed to accept a full range signal or just bass signals?

If the general consensus is NAY on the sub cable, what type of interconnect would be a better choice?

Thanks for the help...........

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Cable is cable. I have never seen or heard of a cable(only) that has the ability to pass a limited freq. range. Any reason why you don't use a good quality analog rca cable?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited September 2002
    What Frank said. My guess, marketing ploy by Monster. Use it. Hey, if all you hear is bass, then.....:)

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited September 2002
    considering u can hook a sub to a receiv. with rca plugs...i dont see y
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    G'head, use it.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    Yes, use it. I'm using a AR video cable (you know, the yellow one) from the cable box digital audio out to the receivers digital in and it sound great. Tried a Monster digital coax and couldn't tell the difference :rolleyes: Also have my sub running of a video coax, the same yellow thingie and it pounds away.....

But hey....if it make you feel better, go drop 150 bucks on a Transparent cable....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2002
    Cool - thanks for the opinions. I figured I could use it, but I wanted to check first. I agree - never heard of a "low pass" RCA cable.

The only reason I am not using "a good quality analog RCA cable" is because I don't have any! After the PC+ arrives tomorrow, I'll have this extra sub cable lying around and I figured I could use it for the rear center.

Funny........my rear center (if I ever install it) will have by far the highest quality amplification of all my speakers.

If I had pre-outs for all my speaks, the h/k 870 would be powering my mains in a heartbeat, especially for 2 channel listening. Maybe some day I'll go separates.........

Thanks again!

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS