Hooking up the LSI15's

Options
jdcurry
jdcurry Posts: 13
Hello,
I'm about to purchase the LSI15's along with the Pioneer VSX-43TX receiver. I will probably be purchasing Monster's Z2 bi-wire cable for them. Although, I still can't figure out exactly how to wire the subs on each speaker. Also, according to the FAQs section, since my receiver is THX certified, it recommends SHUTTING IT OFF since THX doesn't run below 80 some hz. Why would I want to do this since I obviously paid extra for the THX compliance????
So basically, two questions:
1.) How do I hookup the subs built into the LSI15's from the receiver? I'm looking at the Y cables from Monster and hooking it up to my sub pre-outs on my receiver, but that's only for one speaker - what about the other?
2.) Regarding the THX settings, what should i do???
Post edited by jdcurry on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Options
    The Lsi15's have a passive sub so you do not have to connect to the sub out from your receiver. make sure that you have the front speakers set to large. Regarding the Thx settings, do not turn it on untill you have a sub to connect to the receiver or you won't get very much bass from your Lsi speakers. The Thx settings assume that you are using a sub in addition to the mains, center and surround/rear channels.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    edited September 2002
    Options
    jdcurry ,
    any reason your mating these 2 together?Are you referring to the Lsi25's?They are powered.
    No the Lsi 15's are not a powered tower(thank god for that)
    At any rate,you might want to consider the Pioneer Elite vsx47tx if your into Pioneer Elite.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jdcurry
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Wow, I guess I missed that fact that the LSI15's aren't powered. So, I assume I'd just use the Left and Right channel to power them? Are there seperate plugs for the sub like others (rti1000s)?
    Also, regarding the pioneer receiver, if I could afford it, I would get the 47 but my budget only allows the 43.
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Just hook them up the same as any other speaker. They can be bi-amped or bi wired, but you do not have to do anything special to get these to work. Click on the link below for more info from the Lsi15 manual.

http://www.polkaudio.com/home/library/downloads/manuals2001/LSi7_9_15Manual.pdf
  • jdcurry
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Ok, so, being that they're not wired separately and not self-powered, does this mean you cannot shut them off? I would think I'd want to do this eventually.
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Originally posted by jdcurry
    Ok, so, being that they're not wired separately and not self-powered, does this mean you cannot shut them off? I would think I'd want to do this eventually.

Shut off the subs in the LSi15's??? Why not just get the LSi9's then?
  • jdcurry
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Yes, I would. If I were to get a powered sub, what's the use of spending more power on a front channel that is being powered by one, 100 watt channel for both the normal highs/lows AND the sub? Especially when they're 4 ohm impedance!
  • jdcurry
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Now that I think of it, should I NOT be considering the LSI line of speakers if I only intend on using a high powered receiver like the Pioneer Elite VSX-43TX (100Wx7), and, instead, be only looking at like the RTI70 with a sub or the RTI150's?
  • Wesmo
    Wesmo Posts: 74
    edited September 2002
    Options
    The way you've been talking, I think you might be just fine with the RTi's. The LSi's are better suited to separates anyway, and what's the point of getting a full range tower if you want to disable the sub?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    Options
    Ok, jdcurry, here is what you do. Get the LSi15's. Run speaker wire from the L and R speaker terminals to the binding posts on the 15's (if you have biwires great, if not hook 'em to one set of posts and leave the jumpers in place). If you do not have a sub, on your reciever set your mains/fronts to Large and sub to no/off. If you DO have a sub, I would leave the mains as large and then set the sub to on/yes. Don't worry about THX.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Frank Z
    edited September 2002
    Options

I think you are talking about sending the low Freq. to a sub instead of to the passive sub in the Lsi15. This is easily done with the Vsx receivers by setting the speakers to Small and setting the crossover properly. It's really easy to do once you get the on-screen menu on your TV from the receiver.

I just sold my complete 7.1 channel Polk rt speaker setup when I upgraded to the Lsi's. I would never go back! Get the 15's and try them out with your favorite music, I bet you'll feel the same!!
    They sound just as good with movies too!