First Post

Jimmie
Jimmie Posts: 103
edited September 2002 in Speakers
This is my first thread here. I have been on a three month search for new speakers. I narrowed my search down to ML's, Rocket's, Polk Lsi's, or energy connoisseur's. The ML's in the end were just to expensive for me. I could not pull the trigger on them even though I really liked their sound. Also my wife had her finger stuck in the end of the barrel after hearing what a 7.1 set up would cost for the ML's. Next came the Rocket's which were within my budget but I could not listen to them first and just could not bring myself to buy them before listening. They do have a trial period but shipping would be over 200.00 which I would be paying to return the speakers if I did not like them. That could have cost me 400.00 for nothing. It came down to the energy's or Polks. I do not like an overly laid back sound or a to forward sound. The energy's sounded a little to forward for my taste and the Polk's are a little more laid back but not excessively laid back. The Polk's are very clear, detailed and musical. I just liked the overall sound the best. The Polks are also very good looking speakers. They have the feel,look, and sound of quality at a reasonable price.
I bought the Lsic and turned all my other speakers down all the way and listened to the center only with a couple of my cd's. This confirmed that the polk's would be the way I would go. I will be picking up a pair of Lsi 9's next week and will set them up in front with the center. I want to listen to then a couple of weeks to determine if I want the 9's up front or if I should get the lsi 15's for the fronts and move the 9's to the back with the lsifx's as surrounds.
What Polk sub works best with the Lsi series? I will be replacing the sub also. Any feedback and suggestions would be welcomed and very much appreciated. Thanks.

Jimmie
Post edited by Jimmie on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited September 2002
    Welcome!
    I went with the 15's up front , Lsi Center, FX's for the surrounds and 7's for the rear channels. I thought the 9's would be a little too much (overkill) for rear speakers, the 7's worked out perfectly. As for a sub, I ended up going with a Sunfire and am extremely happy with the results.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2002
    Welcome to the forum. :)

I heard a rumor that there might be an LSi series of subs coming out soon. If you get the 15's - wait a little while and see what pops up.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited September 2002
    good choice jimmie, you cant go wrong with the polk lsi- line, for sound, looks, and price. they are going to sound better & better wend they break in, and welcome to the polk forum.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Hi Jimmie, welcome to the forum. Sounds like u have done your homework. I think the Energy's u mentioned are a top contender.
    They are great looking speakers from a company that has come a long way. Strange how they are never talked about on this forum. I think you have made a great chose with the LSi line. Polk speakers a very well built and the customer service is top notch.
    To be honest - I see you demand great sound for the price - there for I would not recommend Polk's line of sub's. No need to have the same brand sub with your system. I think u will find a better sub for the money out there.
    What is the rest of your setup - moniter - reciever? 7.1 is a great choose - I could not be happer with my 6.1. GOODLUCK
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2002
    Eff rocket and AV123, I've heard the B&W wannbees with Hi-Vi drivers. They look great, but the sound just isn't there, imho.....

ML's are tempermental placment wise, I really think the LSi is your best choice, onward and upward my friend.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Jimmie
    Jimmie Posts: 103
    edited September 2002
    Thanks for the responses. I hope those that own the Lsi's will let me know what sub they are using and how it is working out in their system.
    Scott,I will be driving the lsi's using the preouts of my Pioneer Elite VSX36TX into an Ati at1505 amp rated at 240 watts into 4 ohms. That is 5 channels. For the 2 back channels I have a Parasound HCA-1000 rated at 200 watts into 4 ohms. I have been using these with a set of speakers I built using all vifa drivers. The truth is I should say a set of speakers I put together. I built the cabinets but got the plans and crossover drawings off the internet. I just was not pleased with the sound. I am very pleased with the sound of the lsi's.

Jimmie
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    Need a musical sub?Think ReL..........
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Think SEALED, eg: Jm Lab, or DIY......

Rel is nice, but pricey for what you get, Mirage and Monitor Audio, imo, offer better musical 'values'......
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    REL=SEALED............priced right.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    About half of the REL product line is sealed....
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    which ones aren't???Do you know..I don't!!
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Jesus man, The Storm III, the Stadium III, Stentor III, Studio III.... all ported.....

Surely you have a brochure or manual laying around, ask liv4fam for the REL literature....

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    The Strom is ported ?????Where?
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    .Storm_driver_large.jpg
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    nice pic!!
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Ain't it though? Kinda wierd you've been recommending a sub, that you didn't even know if it was ported, sealed, or bandpass....

Sho' does sound good though boss....

Cheers,
    N2Rel
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    I haven't seen it in awhile.........my bad

I ve been doing so many Q201's and 150's.
    Dan
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Doing them? Somehow I believe that.

Yes, the entire Q series is sealed.

Cheers,
    Rooster
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    you know Doing them has been difficult since I can't find any holes!!!
    Dan
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    Russ, u are da man!;) That is an ulgy A$$ sub. though.:confused:
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    And he called mantis on it huh.............

Man......that is so cool......

What brand is that mantis....

Oh.....how much for the Yamaha RX-V1.......

WAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaa.......:lol:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2002
    That is an ulgy A$$ sub. though

Maybe .......but it sounds great!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson