XBOX 360 - No Availability still?

2»

Comments

• Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2006
    I'll probably end up buying one of those in addition to my recent XBox 360 (LOVE IT) purchase. That way I don't have to get into the which is better arguments. :p
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited March 2006
    here is a blurb on the price guidance, not much help, unfortunately:

The PlayStation 3 console can be used as a Blu-ray DVD player, but will also read previously released PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games, Kutaragi said. It will also have a 60-gigabyte storage drive, broadband and wireless Internet connections and support for high-definition televisions.

The company is expecting monthly production of 1 million machines, and targeting production of 6 million units for the fiscal year ending March 2007, Kutaragi said.

The significance of the Blu-ray DVD technology in the console could not be ignored, analysts say. At stake are billions of dollars in royalties from movie or game providers that will use the format.

Blu-ray is competing against another high-definition disc format called HD DVD, backed primarily by Toshiba Corp. Both formats are making their product debuts this year.

As electronics makers, including Sony, plan new Blu-ray DVD machines, the PlayStation 3 is considered a way for Sony to sneak the Blu-ray format into households that may not necessarily be ready to buy a separate Blu-ray player.

So with the new PlayStation 3, consumers would get not only the latest game console, but also the latest DVD technology, for a price that Sony has said will not exceed $500.
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    So, $499.99, eh? :p
  • polkatese
    edited March 2006
    yep. with 60gb HD and Blue Ray, I think it's a good product pricing strategy. I am sure it will come with HDMI too, DTS-HD, DD-HD, component.

What is the chances HD-DVD strike first and make a significant progress before November? I think it's pretty slim. So, a $500 player to test drive a format? with a bonus of PS game console? not a bad proposition.

Btw, at this rate, I can see the market price would be closer to $600+
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2006
    If it is at 499$ I think I am in. I am waiting for Someone to put a pre-order out, then I am there.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    polkatese wrote:
    yep. with 60gb HD and Blue Ray, I think it's a good product pricing strategy. I am sure it will come with HDMI too, DTS-HD, DD-HD, component.

What is the chances HD-DVD strike first and make a significant progress before November? I think it's pretty slim. So, a $500 player to test drive a format? with a bonus of PS game console? not a bad proposition.

Btw, at this rate, I can see the market price would be closer to $600+

Blu-Ray is coming in May, no?
  • polkatese
    edited March 2006
    I think and hope so. But my point is, for average joe, given the format war, a $500 investment for a HD player should not cause them to lose sleep, if it went south.

Clearly, this assumption and logic DO NOT apply to us, Freaks! :)
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    Hey, speaking of XBox and such....how come I haven't seen you playing G.R.A.W?!?
  • polkatese
    edited March 2006
    online or single? I haven't been back to the artillery compound yet, I've been traumatized by the mexicans rebel. I wish I could call the La Migra to round them up, oh wait, I am in their country...

truth is, I've got too much **** and biz travel that I have to deal with. I'll be back shooting the mexicans again this weekend.

As far as online, I haven't had the drive to do it there, hell, I've been spanked badly in single mode, don't want to be the first fallen comrade in the team...
  • Hoop
    Hoop Posts: 28
    edited March 2006
    This article http://www.psxextreme.com/scripts/ps3-news/new.asp?newID=139 says that the price will be 'no less than $425'.

I think that price is still way up in the air on this one.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2006
    Interesting to see where the prices will be when they decide to drop them like they do with all the other units.
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited March 2006
    polkatese wrote:
    online or single? I haven't been back to the artillery compound yet, I've been traumatized by the mexicans rebel. I wish I could call the La Migra to round them up, oh wait, I am in their country...

truth is, I've got too much **** and biz travel that I have to deal with. I'll be back shooting the mexicans again this weekend.

As far as online, I haven't had the drive to do it there, hell, I've been spanked badly in single mode, don't want to be the first fallen comrade in the team...

Polkatese....you gotta get live and play with us. When you get all your stuff caught up you should buy a three month card a try it out, if you like it then that is all the better.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • polkatese
    edited March 2006
    Sean, I will. Thanks for the invitation. I had it for a month (free) and haven't decided to renew it, since I spend more time on the road.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2006
    It looks like Sony is betting the farm on the PS3. Sony has lost a lot of $ in the last few years and Playstation is the only profitable segment of their business right now. They better come correct and price it right or they are screwed. I do hope that Sony can pull it off. If they cant, MS will be the only game in town for a long time as no other company will want to enter the console market against MS. MS wants to run everything and integrate it all so that you must buy thier products.

Sony gets a bad rap as of late but if they are a demon company, MS is the Devil incarnate.

As for Xbox 360, one reason that they are not available is because of faulty units. MS rushed to market to beat Sony and released beta versions of the 360 in the market. A friend of mine is in the wholesale procurement business and ordered 10 360's from a large distributor he works with. They could not supply the 10 units because out of a million 360's shipped 800,000 were returned before they hit store shelves.
    Venom
  • polkatese
    edited March 2006
    venomclan wrote:
    A friend of mine is in the wholesale procurement business and ordered 10 360's from a large distributor he works with. They could not supply the 10 units because out of a million 360's shipped 800,000 were returned before they hit store shelves.
    Venom

Dang, no wonder! I read yesterday that MS is promising retailers that shipment will start pouring in by the boatloads starting this week. I suppose "we'll see"
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited March 2006
    venomclan wrote:
    As for Xbox 360, one reason that they are not available is because of faulty units. MS rushed to market to beat Sony and released beta versions of the 360 in the market. A friend of mine is in the wholesale procurement business and ordered 10 360's from a large distributor he works with. They could not supply the 10 units because out of a million 360's shipped 800,000 were returned before they hit store shelves.
    Venom

Although it has been well documented that MS has had issues with certain chips and certain suppliers, I find it REALLY hard to believe 80% of the 360s made had to be reworked after being shipped from China.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2006
    The 800,000 were from a shipment the distributor was working with. It could have been limited to that shipment, not 80% of the total units shipped worldwide. It would not be the first time that this has happened with MS or many other companies. Time was the most important for MS. Remember they took a loss on the first Xbox throughout its life and are taking a loss on this one too. The Xbox is a loss leader to gain market share and force Sony out of the game in the long run. They have $ to burn and can do this tactic while Sony does not.
    Venom
  • jhermance
    jhermance Posts: 214
    edited April 2006
    I just happened to catch mine sitting on a shelf at Best Buy.
    Samsung UN46C7000
    Cambridge Audio 640R
    Sony BDP-S570
    Magnepan MMG's
    Totem Dreamcatcher Center
    Eleganza™ Bella 1200 High Performance Subwoofer
    Polk R15 Surrounds
    Audioquest Cables
    Panamax 5510-PRO AC Regenerator
    Monster Cable HTS 2500 MKII power cleaner
    Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnects
  • drew spelts
    drew spelts Posts: 310
    edited April 2006
    "Sony gets a bad rap as of late but if they are a demon company, MS is the Devil incarnate."

I totally agree with you on this. I am a Macintosh fan, however I love My X-Box. I guess what I would like to say is that I like a system for simplicity of use and not only does my Mac computer and my X-Box provide me with that but My HK receiver DEFINATELY holds its own in this arena. The PS have always seemed to feel cheep and unsubstantial to me. I mean look at how small they can shrink the PS1 and the PS2 down to. Its absurd. I like something with some beef behind it. Not something that 2years down the road they shrink to fit neatly on your belt buckle! Even though MS is the DEVIL it still has a small place in my home near my TV, But the MAC will always be my corvette to cyberspace and music.
    Harman Kardon AVR635
    RTi10's Up Front
    CSi5 Center
    RTi6's Rear Surround
    Furman RA-1210:rolleyes:
  • lstimler94
    lstimler94 Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Using coupon codes is a great way to save money. I like to recommend KindCoupons.org for more coupon codes.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2011
    lstimler94 wrote: »
    Using coupon codes is a great way to save money. I like to recommend KindCoupons.org for more coupon codes.

You do realize this thread is from 2006 right?:eek:
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2011
    lstimler94 Reported.
  • gingy
    gingy Posts: 1
    edited March 2011
    Wow! battlefield 2!! one of the bests!