RTi150 Anyone seen this newbie?

RuSsMaN
RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
edited September 2002 in Speakers
http://www.polkaudio.com/home/specs.php?category=21&speaker=315

Down to 26Hz -3db, 3 passive 6.5 inch woofs with an 85Hz low pass....

Looks effin cool, need to hear this thing...

rti150.jpg
Cheers,
Russ

Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
Post edited by RuSsMaN on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Shoot, they have a new 404, and 303 sub too....I LOVE new stuff....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2002
    Jeeeze...this is like the 3rd post where some **** checks the out the home speaker section.

This should be a new event in the Polk Special Olympics: which tard recognizes the new product first.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Thats it, I'm leaving the forum.

At least I didn't pay $25 for a 14 year old Toshiba walkman for my office rig....

I got 2 things to say to you Troy:

Who's your DADDY?
    and
    Where's my MEATLOAF?

beeee-yotch

Cheers,
    SuperTard
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    don't let the door hit you in the ****............

G'head, leave for 3 or 4 days and see if we miss you.

BDT

P.S. You kicking my system??? That is a cool item and it was only 20 bucks.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited September 2002
    Just come out and say it you pu**y, you think my speakers suck...

Come get some, I had a bad day!!! I got caught riflin' through a lady's underwear drawer on an install today....
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Come get some, I had a bad day!!! I got caught riflin' through a lady's underwear drawer on an install today....

Find anything good?
  • Wesmo
    Wesmo Posts: 74
    edited September 2002
    Actually I just heard them today. I have a good friend who works at CC, and we played with them for a bit today since they just got them in. We ran it from an Onkyo 700, and even though it's not the best receiver, they sounded awesome....easily the best they've ever had. Very open and lifelike (considering CC's **** rooms), and I'm sure they would benifit tons if they had more power.
    Wes
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    They are sexy in a LS-90'ish sort of way......

C'mon, who wants some???

BDT
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited September 2002
    where is the Cherry?
  • jdelan
    jdelan Posts: 244
    edited September 2002
    also, why does that page refer to them as the RTi70??? They got little Brother envy??? Or they trying to pull a fast one on us...
    http://www.polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=21&speaker=315
  • tony27
    tony27 Posts: 49
    edited September 2002
    i gotta hear these. finally speakers with no powered subs in them. nice.
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited September 2002
    The RTi150 doesn't strike me as anything more than an RT600i with three PRs.

Would it be possible to retrofit an RT600i with these PRs?

Or better yet an RT800i with two of them?

I wonder if the internal cabinet design (i.e., venting/porting) is different, or can some holes be cut in an RT600i/800i and the PRs just placed in?

Anyone care to hazard a guess? I don't know that much about speaker mods.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited September 2002
    Russman the M*ther F*cker wannabe..
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Handyhaver
    Handyhaver Posts: 66
    edited September 2002
    From a rookies point of view, they sounded pretty sweet. I heard them today @ c/c....I got the itch

Mark
    You can check out any time you like..,
    but you can never leave...........
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    The RTi150 doesn't strike me as anything more than an RT600i with three PRs.

Huh.....3 PRs as in passive radiators? They are 3 active drivers.... ;) They can handle 500wpc.....RT600i is what....150? Hole different animal here:)
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2002
    I don't think they are active towers at all. If they're active their specs wouldn't state that they need at least a 50watt amplification each. If those subs are powered the, your amp would only need a minimum of 20watts per channel as stated for the RT600i because the amp would only be powering the mid/woofer and tweeter. The thing tat really surprises me is that they are 91db/m and 8ohms.

I seriously can't wait to get a pair of them. I already started saving up because I've got school now and working only part time. By next summer I should own a pair to replace my 800i's. It also looks like Polk is really going back to their roots. First we saw the LSi series and now they're starting to bring back the coffin-size monsters again. If I had to guess, the next line will be SDA's in both RTi and Lsi versions(droooooool).

Maurice
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited September 2002
    I used the wrong term I guess when I said active. I didn't mean they are self powered. They are passive drivers....not passive radiators....my bad:o
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Dr. Spec
    edited September 2002
    Sorry guys - my bad too. When I saw the word passive, I immediately thought PR, instead of active woofers.

They are indeed active drivers, they are simply not powered by an onboard amp.

In that case, disregard my above post - thanks Nascarmann.

Doc

SVS
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited September 2002
    Those look pretty cool. Glad to see they're NOT powered.

For about the same money you could have the LSi15's. Wonder how they compare?

Jason
  • Handyhaver
    Handyhaver Posts: 66
    edited September 2002
    That's a damn good question Jcaut. The C/C near me just got in the RTi150's @ 749.00 each, but when I asked the salesman about the lsi line, he looked at me like I had 3 heads.....................

That's alot of scratch..................................................

Mark
    You can check out any time you like..,
    but you can never leave...........
  • jcaut
    edited September 2002
    Yep, that's more $$ than I could spend on speakers anytime soon (I can wish, though :) ). I'm happy with my RT800i's, so I probably shouldn't even be listening to anything else right now.

Perhaps this is stating the obvious, but (from the specs) I would expect that the i150's would be louder and looser than the LSi's. The LSi's should get the nod on imaging and definition. Possibly a "movie vs. music" kinda deal.

Jason
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited September 2002
    jcaut, I doubt the bass of the RTi150 would be looser than that of the LSi(I'm guessting you're comparing them to the LSi15?) Anyways, three 6.5"subs should have better control and definition than a single 8" generally speaking. I'm pretty sure the RTi150 should have more slam. I think they're the kind of speakers that would force the listener back against their chairs with pure dynamics and slam which is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm willing to give up the clarity and smooth highs of the LSi for pure slam and force(I actually considered getting a pair of Klipsch but changed my mind). After I get a pair of them, I will start getting into seperates(most likely Rotel).

Maurice
  • Dr. Spec
    edited September 2002
    Organ:

The other thing to consider about this speaker and its impressive woofage is if you were going to use it for HT, and (I assume) not use a separate powered sub, you'd need a mighty powerful receiver. I can't see buying this speaker for HT and setting the speaker size to "small" - it would be a waste.

I'd use nothing less than 300WPC of clean high current power for these speaks if I was going to use them as full range HT units and pass on a separate powered sub.

Most HT receivers are in the 100 WPC range - not enough to reach the limits of this puppy, or provide the slam (which takes a lot of current) you are looking for.

You could also use a HT receiver with pre-outs so you could use a beefy external amp for the mains.

Doc

SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited September 2002
    Dr.spec,
    300watts???
    what limits are you refering to?
    The new speaker looks impressive and I'm so happy Polk left behind the powercord.But all that needed power,I'm not sure where your going with that.

I have no opnion on how much power would be enough, but if you go by spec's you won't need all that.Not my thing.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Dr. Spec
    edited September 2002
    Hi Mantis:

The limit I am referring to is the maximum recommended power amplifier for this speaker - 500 watts.

Subs suck a lot of power and current. The amp in your PSW450 is 150 watts alone, and many subs pack more (HSU VTF-3 is 250 watts, SVS PCi series is 320 watts, and SVS PC+ is 525 watts).

The RT3000p comes with a 300W onboard amp for each side, and that doesn't even include the top unpowered half. Add the typical 100WPC HT receiver to the mix and you are looking at 400 WPC. And the RTi150 has one more woofer (albeit slightly smaller) on each side than the RT3000p does.

If you were going to use these speaks as full range mains and subs (i.e., set speaker size to large and sub to no), a 300 WPC high current amp is a very sensible choice and not overkill at all.

Also remember SPL is a log function and doubling the power only gets you a 3 dB increase in volume. A 300 WPC amp will only play about 4-5 dB louder than a 100 WPC amp. A high current capability would be just as important to me as the power rating if I was shopping for an amp to power these speakers for a HT application where there was no intention of using a separate powered sub.

Doc

SVS
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    I see your point.Thats one way of looking at it.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited September 2002
    Doc makes a very salient point that I think is lost on a lot of people, that the difference in watts per channel when translated into appreciable performance is much less than most folks realize.

The theory that I subscribe to is that there is that you can't have too much power.

BDT
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2002
    These speakers would be ideal for a 2ch. rig with some strong ampage.
    (IMO)Using them for HT to eliminate a lfe subwoofer - I don't think so. Not even close to compensating for the bass in my HT. ;)
  • jcaut
    edited September 2002
    Really my point was that: in comparing the RTi150 and the LSi15 (since they're about the same price) the R(eference)T(heater)i150 would probably have characteristics more suited to high performance home theater, while the L(iketohave)S(ome o'these)i15 would be designed more for the serious music listener whose home theater comes second. Like I said: stating the obvious, but sometimes that's all I'm good for :p

Jason
  • mantis
    edited September 2002
    without hearing them first hand....I can't comment any further on this topic.
    Dan