DQ-10's

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,031
edited September 2002 in Speakers
TroyD,
I'm juiced to hear them go.I have found a pair at Stereo Exchange where I know the owner mike.I called him on this speaker as you have me wondering how they sound.After He repairs the driver the Advent one,He said I can come down for a demo.

TroyD did you have your's rebuilt yeat?Mike said every single pair he has come across has needed work.I assume from old age.

I'm gonna hear them tomarrow or Friday with Liv4fam.I will post a honest review of them.He get's around 4 bills for a clean pair,but most are destroyed one way or another.75 bucks can have a ruff pair.:)
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
Post edited by mantis on

Comments

• liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited August 2002
    dude I can't wait to hear them go, I hope he has a good Carver amp that we can listen to them on. Last time we were there I think he had some Barstools in the back that we can use as speaker stands.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    Dan, yes, mine have been professionally rebuilt about 5 years ago to include the factory authorized mylar cap upgrade. One thing about the DQ's is that I've heard and seen two pair recently that have been tweaked and rebuilt to the point of not being true DQ's. So quality is definately an issue as the last pair made was I believe in 1987.

They are amp killers, to really shine, like your friend noted about the Carver Amazing's is that they need a lot of power, I'd suggest a minimum of 150wpc of GOOD power. Conventional wisdom (not me, but general concensus) is that the midrange is nearly flawless, bass shy and at high volumes can be a tad harsh in the upper frequencies (possibly due to the piezo supertweeter). Also, these were not made to be played at rock concert levels, suggested max. volume is around 90db.

I've also read in a couple of places that the DQ-10 was Bob Carver's speaker of choice before he created the Amazing Loudspeaker.

I'm really interested in your thoughts of them!

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Mike has alot of really good amps laying around his store.Carver's he has many from the last time we where there Pre amps to match as well.

TroyD,
    what exactly is your 2 channel rig?Wire pre amp and such?If you ever need parts for yours like crossovers or such, he keeps many parts around of them as they come in unfixable alot.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    My rig consists of:

AMC CD8b CD player
    Adcom SLC-505 passive preamp
    Carver m1.5t amp
    Signal Cable Interconnects
    14 awg cable, (2) 5' runs.

Appreciate the info about your buddy, there is a company, regnar, that specializes in Dahlquist repairs as well....

BDT
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    I see you found a passive pre amp..or was it Russ looking for one awhile back?Passive huh.No lights no remote no display???Clean I bet.Since I have had a 2 channel rig,With a preamp with no display or remote control,I feel so out of touch with it.It sounds really good but damn I want my remote,even the mighty Pronto can't control a pre amp that cannot be controlled.Funny how IR works.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Actually, I've had the passive for as long as I've had the DQ's......

It's completely passive, no electricity at all, component switching and volume attenuation. That's it.

BDT
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    thats cool......no power cord...i have a thing with power cords...I don't like them....on speakers anyway.
    Dan
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    I do have a remote control........a Wilson Staff 4-wood. 1.99 at the local pawn-o-matic.

Like I said, it's a passive preamp so a power cord would be rather unneccesary.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Troy,

You own a true classic, and I am very envious. The first demo I had of re-built DQ-10's on a Wadia rig is etched in my memory forever. A truely wonderful music experience. Good on ya.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Thanks Russ.....

Well, we shall see what Dan and liv4fam think, I'm on the edge of my seat....

BDT
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by TroyD
    I do have a remote control........a Wilson Staff 4-wood. 1.99 at the local pawn-o-matic.

:lol: omg.......and probably for a few more bills, you could get a shaft extention............funny........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited August 2002
    extension (ik sten'shen) Speak & spell brotha...
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited August 2002
    Mantis
    If your friend has a Krell KSA80 laying around drive them with this amp. I used to have my DQ10 driven with this amp and matching Krell preamp.

Troy I know it's only rated at 80 watts @ 8 ohms, but it has great head room and doubles in watts all the way down to 1 ohm.

Just for HAHA try a Denon POA 2400. This amp is surprising

If he has either one of theses amp let me know, I would not mine getting another one.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    mmmmmmm.....Krell..........

I'd agree with the headroom issue.....From the things that I have read and heard, the root cause of most issues with the DQ-10 is not enough amplification.

BDT
    BDT
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited August 2002
    You would be suprised with this amp. This amp has more reserve current than most amps with twice it rating.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Charlie,

C'mon man, get your build on then bring your amp over and hook it up to the DQ's......plus I got the RTA-12's to play with now too...

If a **** would get his ship on, I MIGHT have some B&W's as well

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Lesse if this works.....

Here is an old pic of the mancave when I first set it up. The DQ's now have stands and the CD player has been replaced by an AMC cd8b....there is also a heavy curtain on the window behind....anyway, that's the general jist of the mancave rig..

Yeah, yeah....I KNOW the rack sucks, I'm working on it.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    This is what a DQ-10 looks like, naked...
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    thats not a speaker...thats a Speaker(s)...thats alot of drivers and tweets for a SPEAKER...lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    the mancave...when i first heard that i thought of batman or something...lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited August 2002
    DQ-10'S SOUND OK ON CARVER....... if you want to do it right listen to them if you can on a Mac system.............150 watts don't cut it.......go at least 300watts to really warm them up. My dad has them on MAC and at 300 the meters dim heavily at peaks...........fun to watch.if you can get that configuration I gurantee with the right recording you will feel and hear **** move through and around the building.
    I recently saw a rebuilt pair online for about $700 ...very seriously thought of buying, but just don't have the room or watts at this time.
    Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited August 2002
    If you want Mac power try and get the MC-2600 which is a power plant. Negative is that you need a 30 amp circuit to run it. 600 watts a channel of pure Mac power.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Well, Carver is my only option really and I'm pretty happy with it.....350wpc and I've never had an issue with not enough power. As far as Mac goes, I've got zero experience other than a demo of the Maggie 3.6's with a Macintosh setup.

The pic of the nekkid DQ-10 isn't mine, I 'borrowed' it from Dean/klipschead over on the Klipsch forum...he is currently rebuilding a pair....

BDT
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited September 2002
    Hey Troy not doggin the Carvers......the older equipment is top shelf.........Just I do have experience with both.....20 years ago or so back in the day myself and several people tested them both side by side on the DQ-10 and Everybody agreed that the MAC had more of a soundstage.........that's all.
    Peace, StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center