Mantis-Rotel rc 1070 vs rc 1090

SPEAKER7
SPEAKER7 Posts: 355
edited August 2002 in Electronics
Manitis,

Just wondering if you can tell me the big difference(details)between these two pre amps. Is there a HUGE difference in the sound quality if you hook them up to the rb 1080? The rc 1090 does look nice with the LCD display but it does cost quite a bit more........would you be satisfied with the rc 1070 for your own sytem or will have to upgrade and get the rc 1090. (my main concern is definitely sound quality and it will only be used for 2 channel cd listening)

I called a Rotel dealer yesterday for some general prices because I not planning to make the big purchase yet.

rb 1090 3000.00(lunder)

rb 1080 999.99 (under)

rb 1070 699.99 (lunder)

rc 1070 499.99 (under)

rc 1090 1199.99 (under)

all these prices are in $cdn...........and also if you purchase a combo pre/power amp at the same time there is a rebate from rotel/5yr warranty........sounds very nice and very tempting but no cash on had will have to sweat it out for a while.

thanks,

dc.

....if money wasn't the issue I would go out today and pick up the rb 1090 and the rc1090........too bad!
:D
Post edited by SPEAKER7 on

Comments

• SPEAKER7
    edited August 2002
    sorry, I spelt your name wrong!

dc.:p
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited August 2002
    All good Speaker7,
    I have heard both of these pre amps at different times.I never had them side my side for a shoot out.

From what I remember,they both sound amazing,you can't go wrong which ever way you deside.The RC1090 has more custom features and the Lcd read out,the rc 1070 is plainer looking and has less custom features.

Id ask where you go to listen if you can swap between the 2.I bet there real close if not exactly the same in sound quality.I think the price points are feature based.I could be wrong on that.If I get a chance,when I return to one of my new favorite Audio shops World Wide,I will make it a point to do the shoot out.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    If you are only going to run a CD player and just use it 2 channel.....could you not just run a CD player that has an output volume conrtol straight to the amp and not even spend the money on a pre? Just food for thought......
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • SPEAKER7
    edited August 2002
    M,

Thanks for your quick response for the Pre's.......this is getting too interesting and I wish I could have it all now amps/speakers but I'll wait because of the $ issue and also for your demo when you get the chance.

I'm just wondering if I should pay an extra 700.00 for rc 1090 to get the extra features and to be 100% content or save the money and use it towards higher end cd player.

Well, Mantis when get the chance to demo the amps/pre's you might as well pick up the rb 1090 at the same time instead of going back again to pick one up later.....hee! hee!...

thanks,

dc.
    :lol:
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Not speaking from experience with either of these models, but a wise man once told me as a general rule:

'The more lights and buzzers, the worse it will sound'

You can take that at face value, but in my opinion, for 7 bills more, the feature list better be long, impressive, and most importantly something you will actually use....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2002
    Nascarman,

I like your food for thought, But wouldnt a CD player with a volume knob mean a CD player with a pre amp built in? In this case wouldn't it be assumed like everything else in audio, that the more you seperate the tasks the better the fidelity? wouldn't a CD player with a volume knob now need to have a variable resistor in the chasis along with the optical drive, thus compromising the seperation? I really don't know, just throwing back some food for thought.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Yes it would GT, but it would also have one less 'jump' via interconns, one less power supply, one less remote control motor....etc etc etc.....

That is if one wants to nit-pick it....another alternative...Passive Pre-amp......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2002
    True, true

But with the same logic, couldn't one argue for a receiver over seperates?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    They just might..... except for the regulation/division of power inside said receiver....a 19inch circuit board is just that, how much can you cram on it, without sacrificing quality for features...

It does raise the question though, that begs to be answered, a good point GT.....

Not in my backyard though... ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Like I said.....it was food for thought. I did this for a while when we were in KY and had good results. I am the hillbilly rigger though...:D
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • SPEAKER7
    edited August 2002
    Thanks guy's for the all the opinions!

dc.
    :)