DVD player recommendation for under 100 beans?

rlightfoot
rlightfoot Posts: 87
edited August 2002 in Electronics
Can anyone recommend a decent lower end DVD player for under $100? I've seen mixed reviews of the Wallymart/CC Apex as well as the BB version - the "Mintek".

Toshiba is sporting a lower end sleek DVD for around $89.

Oh yea, it has to play CD-R.

:D
"I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
Post edited by rlightfoot on

Comments

• fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2002
    While you may see an occassional person in support of the Apex dvd player, I would probably shoot myself in the head before I bought one. If I got it as a gift I would return it. I would say they have about a 50% return rate at the store I work at. Most common complaints are: door won't open, door fell off, freezes, takes 5 seconds to change scenes, or won't turn on. ;)
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    Stay away from the Apex or Mintek like the plague. Very poor quality control, build quality and dependability. My daughters each got an Apex for their room and both had to go back for replacement out of the box. They were cheap and served their purpose for 19" bedroom tvs but I would not put one in a quality system.

This apears to be a very good bargain.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000659UN/qid=1030336913/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1_etk-electronics/104-7933539-4892737

It plays DVD-Video, DVD-R, Video CD, CD, CD-R/RW, MP3, and WMA formatted media. Toshiba makes a very good DVD player but I bet this one is much better than their entry level player. Plus free shipping and no tax.

HERE is a Sound and Vision review. They though highly of this player.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2002
    After a top-notch review in Consumer Reports, we bought a Panasonic VCR.. never again. It has **** tracking, especially when playing anything recorded on another machine. I had to replace the $40 remote after barely a year old.

I'll admit it... bought an Apex DVD playing in January off of Amazon.
    http://www.apexdigitalinc.com/html/AD_800.html

It has worked flawlessly since I took it out of the box. Remote is full-featured, on-screen displays are easy to understand and navigate.. scene change is a fast as I can press the button. Nary a glitch in operation, never a problem reading or playing any sort of disc, including MP3. On-board decoder, although I don't use it, has all the possible settings (bass management, etc). The build looks and feels much more solid than either the Panasonic or the new Toshiba VCR. It is progressive scan (if I ever need it), etc etc etc. In short, although it is the first and only DVD player I've owned, I can't imagine it working better for us.

Obviously I can't attest to anyone else's firsthand knowledge, but our Apex has and continues to do a wonderful job.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    I know a couple guys with Apex DVD players and haven't had a problem with them......

Personally, I've owned two Tosh's without any real problems.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • rlightfoot
    rlightfoot Posts: 87
    edited August 2002
    thanks for the advice. Guess I was right on with "mixed reviews".

The DVD is for my son's room. My old CD player won't play his CD-Rs.
    "I want to change my username to Gordo, but Club Polk won't let me"
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2002
    I own a different, but inexpensive Panasonic that works great. I got an Oritron for a gift that didn't make it throught the first disc.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • kanicker
    kanicker Posts: 86
    edited August 2002
    I too have an Apex 1500. The absolute cheapest component I own. It worked flawlessly, hasnt had a problem with a disc yet. Its quiet. Its ugly. It has a bright LCD (too bright).

It was $69. And I'd continue to use it, except that its begin retired and replaced by a Home Theater PC.
  • liv4fam
    liv4fam Posts: 311
    edited August 2002
    Dude you should check out last year or 2 year old dvd players. You can probably find a killer deal on a clearence rack or demo piece that is in real good shape. I know at tweeter we had a Panasonic DVD-A7 in almost every store that we were blowing out on clearance for 128.00 and that piece was 999.99 when it came out. It plays DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, VCD. Really investigate every place you can like specialty A/V stores and ask about demos and also look on Ebay. You can get a really good quality player for cheap instead of buying a really cheap DVD player new that is not of good quality.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    I will second that ,
    DVD player price points don't hold for long.When the new model comes out ,you can save a ton on the older model.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.