Questions about Denon 2802

tryrrthg
tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
edited August 2002 in Electronics
I have a few questions about the Denon 2802.

How does the bass management work for 2 channel music play back? In other words, Can the sub be used during 2 channel play?

Is there a way to turn off all DSP when I want to listen to just 2 channel music (meaning I want no special digital effects)?

Does it sound good for 2 channel music?

any help and info about the receiver would be great! Thanks!
Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
Post edited by tryrrthg on

Comments

• brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    I've wondered that for my receiver as well. I don't know if you can get the sub to play in 2 channel listening.......(not that this helps you........i'm just curious too) :-)
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • seaslug
    seaslug Posts: 23
    edited August 2002
    Guys,

Unless I'm mistaken, most receivers will send a signal to the subwoofer in "Stereo" mode. "Direct" is another 2-channel listening mode that can supposedly provide a more accurate reproduction of the source material, but this mode does not utilize the sub. Neither of these modes relies on any sort of Digital Signal Processing, unless your receiver has the option of digital upsampling (the ability to "upconvert" the frequency of the source material). I don't believe this applies to the Denon 2802. I hope this is helpful, and someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Receiver -- Onkyo TX-DS797
    Mains -- RT800i's
    Center -- CS400i
    L/R Surrounds -- f/x300i's
    Rear Surround -- CS245i
    Sub -- PSW450
    "The unexamined life is not worth living." -- Socrates
  • izafar
    izafar Posts: 814
    edited August 2002
    I have 2802. It uses subwoofer in both "Stereo" and "Direct" modes. The direct mode shuts down all DSP, and Tone Defeat shut down all tone circuits. Subwoffer can be turned on/off using the speaker configuration settings.
    -izafar

Goldenear Technology Triton 1 - Benchmark AHB2 - Benchmark LA4 - Auralic Vega - Auralic Aries Mini - Marantz TT-15S1 - Clearaudio Nano
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2002
    I was thinking Direct would turn off the sub signal. Izafar, are you using a sub cable or speaker cable? I could see why it would play for both if you were using speaker level.
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited August 2002
    I have the Denon 5800. If I have the LF and RF set to small and the Sub is set to yes. The Sub will work for all two channel sound. Direct, Pure Direct, Stereo, and the 5/7 Stereo.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    Gents

I'm thinking that once you set the sub to 'on', it will operate in any mode you choose.....if you want to listen to your speaks in stereo with out the sub, you will have to go back to the menu and choose sub to 'off' or 'no'.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Janusch
    Janusch Posts: 132
    edited August 2002
    Troy,
    For the most part that is a true statment, but you also have the option to have your speakers turned to Large and your sub on. While listening to movies I will hear the sub kick in, but when listening to music it will seem to be off. I think that with the Large setting the cross over to the bass is much lower may 60 or 40 Hz, and with the Direct or Pure Direct it will shut off the sub all together.
  • RBreak
    RBreak Posts: 31
    edited August 2002
    Hello, I have a 2802. As long as you have the receiver set (in the speaker configuration section) to sub yes/on, the receiver will send a signal to the sub through the sub out rca jack, regardless of what mode you are in. It will give you the option of setting the crossover frequency to either 80 hz, 100 hz, or 120 hz. If you set your mains to large, it will give you the option if sending just the LFE signal to the sub, or the LFE+mains to the sub. Good luck.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited August 2002
    Thanks everyone for your responses!

It will really help in my decision!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    I own the Denon avr3801.Yes the sub is on in all modes.In the 3801 you can set each mode with different levels.

So when you pick direct,you can set the sub level to off,in stereo to -10db and such.Each time you switch sound modes the setting remain.

The remote is different between the 2 receivers but the 4 way arrow keys and the enter buttons will scroll threw the levels of all sound modes and there you can change the setting manually for each.

I think your receiver should beable to do this as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • JediCowboy
    JediCowboy Posts: 56
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by seaslug
    "Je pense, donc, je suis." -- Rene Descartes

Descartes was French, but he wrote in Latin.

Cogito ergo sum.
    The Force is with Me -- YEEHAW!!!

Denon 3802
    Mains -- RTi70s Biwired
    Center -- CSi40 Biwired
    Surrounds -- FXi50s
  • seaslug
    edited August 2002
    A thousand pardons, my dear friend. I am only familiar with the French and English translations of Descartes' metaphysical musings, and I must admit, I have never even read the text in its entirety. The concept of systematic doubt, however, has always been fascinating to me, and I quote the philosopher in his native tongue as a form of reverence for the wisdom which preceded the writing.;)
  • JediCowboy
    JediCowboy Posts: 56
    edited August 2002
    That's funny. I've never seen the words "French" and "Wisdom" that close together before.
    The Force is with Me -- YEEHAW!!!

Denon 3802
    Mains -- RTi70s Biwired
    Center -- CSi40 Biwired
    Surrounds -- FXi50s
  • seaslug
    edited August 2002
    Touche.:D