Speaker Burn In Duration ?

paul schwartz
paul schwartz Posts: 9
edited August 2002 in Speakers
I got my newly aquired Denon 3802 and RTi100s, CSI40, FXi30s & PSW450 connected . . . My question is, is there a value of running the set up through a burn in process. I have a copy of Stereophile's Test CD #3 whose track #20 contains "Special Burn In Noise" . . . and if so, how loud and for how long?

I'd be interested in the experts' opinions and guidance on this . . .
Post edited by paul schwartz on

Comments

• joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited August 2002
    it is just another way to support stereophile mag, i think any good dyanamic cd or dvd you like to listen & watch would do.

welcome to the polk forum paul.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    I dissagree totally,
    Pink noise when recorded in full range is the very best way to break in speakers.You need to leave the room or the house for the day in order to run it, it sounds like hell, but the benifits are well worth it.Id run the volume up on the Denon to -30...and let it rip.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2002
    Paul,
    Just sent you a PM on this subject.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    I like to use Prodigy's 'Fat of the Land'.... and let it run at least 20hrs, at around 70-75db...

That's just my personal preference/opinion, I've noticed a difference on some speakers more than others....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2002
    LOL

Nice album Russ! I bet Breathe and Firestarter do a number on most speakers!
  • GuitarheadCA
    edited August 2002
    BTW

Congrats on your new system Paul!
  • Chief CW4
    Chief CW4 Posts: 8
    edited August 2002
    The Wagnerian Ring Cycle, or the Ride of the Valyries" played a few dozen times at 75-80 db will work nicely, while ridding your home of mice.
    Karl
    Jeff City, MO
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Carl, your sig says 73, is that your age?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • deq15
    deq15 Posts: 56
    edited August 2002
    NO NO - Go with the pink - BECAUSE it contains the full spectrum of frequencies 20 - 20kHz at the same db constantly. The noise on an empty TV channel or FM station should suffice.
  • deq15
    edited August 2002
    That is IF you cant get a pink noise generator
  • deq15
    edited August 2002
    It is the only way to ensure an "even" break-in across the full range of the speaker
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Even across the full range? Break in the voice-coil at all frequencies?

Is the point of break in not to just get the suspension and voice coil moving? Why would we need a 20-20 signal to do that?

Just curious....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    Hmm, that's a good point Russ. In all analness I think I'll agree with deq15, but to quote Linkin Park "in the end, it doesn't even matter." For example, if you're not running a 20Hz. signal to the woofers you wouldn't be getting max excursion, would you? Think of it like stretching. When you stretch, you use your entire range of motion so that everything is limbered up for whatever activity you're about to perform. And I say again, "In the end it doesn't even matter."

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    I don't see the point really, IF the point is to loosen/move the driver suspension, who cares if its a 20 hz tone, or a 62 hz tone...

The voice coil is active on either...
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    But if you're not getting max excursion from a woofer then you're not stretching it out the whole way. I guess the same argument could be made for only running the speakers at 85dB versus 100dB. Like I said, I really doubt this has any audible effect, but it does seem to make sense from a mechanical point of view.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    I agree to disagree then....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Geeezzzz....turn on a good local radio station, turn it up and go to work.....:rolleyes:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • deq15
    edited August 2002
    If you buy into this break in stuff - it is more about exercising the elements if the drivers than it is just the surround. I bet if paul played that burn in track on his CD it has highs, mids, lows all at the same time (probably pink noise really). you should manipulate all the frequencies you can - the tweeters benefit from this too. Like to see one that performs at 62 HZ. one way to do this is to put the speakers out of phase and direct them at each other so the noise is more tolerable.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    I never said that tweeters didn't benefit or apply to break in.

I heard the most difference after break in on the RT series Polks in the midrange clarity, less chesty, and my B&W's metal domes seemed to roll off smoother, not as bright.......

On my wife's AR's, I didn't notice much if any change....

This is all a moot point anyway, because if a user ever plans to listen to his speakers, they will eventually become 'broken in'....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Silly arguments are fun, don't ya think?

Aaron
  • paul schwartz
    edited August 2002
    I hadn't planned on so much discussion being generated with my post . . If it helps to wrap this up, I did complete 30 hrs of speaker burn in . .
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Burn in/break in discussions aren't as bad as a wire debate, but they rank up there on the *list*..... ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
  • deq15
    edited August 2002
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2002
    This isn't related to the burn-in part, but I just thought I'd suggest getting the RTi70's instead of the RTi100's. You're already getting plenty of bass from the PSW450 and the 70's have much more midrange.

My $.02
  • paul schwartz
    edited August 2002
    OK . . what about burning in speakers wires and interconnect? Just kidding . . please., no one go there :)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    OK I won't.

Break in on speakers .......Someone from Polk would be more believable then if I rolled it out.

For what it's worth without going into the Pink noise,or music option,The sound changes after a given amount of hours.I have heard it.Amazed by it as I never believed in the Burn in with wires or speakers untill I experienced it for myself.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • GuitarheadCA
    edited August 2002
    Now, how much of the difference is an actual difference, and how much of it is the listener just getting "used to" the sound of his new speakers?

I think my speakers sound better now then they did when I first hooked them up- but is it just because I've become accostomed to the sound?

Food for thought.