All the CD's you want for $5.99 shipped

Options

Comments

• thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Pablo wrote:
    I couldn't figure out finding SACDs either. Thanks.

The hybirds play on both SACD & regular CD players, correct? Do you know if they have any other hi-res audio types?

Yes, hybrids have a hi res layer, as well as a standard red book layer that you can play on any CD player.

They don't have DVD-A.....

Scott
  • Pablo
    Pablo Posts: 723
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Thanks guys. I think I will sign up.
    Denon AVR-3803
    RTi-70 Fronts
    FXi-30 Surrounds
    RTi-38 Back Surrounds
    Csi-40 Center
    PSW350 Sub
    Panasonic PT-56WXF95 HDTVSamsung un60JS8000 SUHD
    Denon DVD-2910
    Xbox, Gamecube, PS2, PS3, PS4, xbox360, Wii, WiiU, n64
  • polksda
    polksda Posts: 716
    edited February 2006
    Options
    A post I made on another forum a year ago (the specific data is out of date since the club price has been raised from $4.99 to $5.99, but this should still help as far as finding boxed set bargains...). PDF link is at the bottom of the post:
    PolkSDA wrote:
    The general consensus seems to be that the best deals on YourMusic.Com are the boxed sets, since those normally cannot be purchased as enrollment selections in the normal BMG deals.

In the interest of finding out what the best deals are on yourmusic.com, I've compiled a matrix of the boxed sets, their prices and a comparison of the prices vs. the Amazon.Com CD Club pricing (the best online competitor I've found that isn't fly-by-night).

Here are the notes I put on page 1:
    These matrices display the savings on boxed sets from YourMusic.Com. I checked several online vendors for pricing, including BestBuy.Com, DeepDiscountCD.Com, and CDConnection.Com, and found that almost universally, the best online prices came from Amazon.Com, if you signed up for their CD Club, so rather than expend extra effort for higher-priced vendors, I opted to use Amazon as a "best case" comparison.

Even then, YourMusic.Com beat Amazon by a large margin on the vast majority of titles.

The pricing I've provided from Amazon for comparison is current as of February 5, 2005. I only used pricing from Amazon itself (or its CD Club where cheaper). I did not use pricing from the "used and new from $x.xx" affiliated sellers.

Yes, you may be able to get this merchandise cheaper by buying used merchandise on Ebay, Half.Com, or Amazon, but that's not really a fair comparison. I wanted to compare new merchandise from an established vendor only.

The number in parentheses behind the title is the number of discs in the boxed set (or at least the number that YourMusic.Com uses to calculate their price). The leftmost column of prices is from Amazon.Com; the second column is YourMusic.Com's price; the third column is the raw dollar savings;
    and the last column lists the YourMusic.Com price as a percentage of Amazon's price (lower means greater savings).

NOTE: The YourMusic.Com prices assume you got in at the special $4.99 rate, not the $5.99 rate. If you missed out on that deal, you will still
    see extensive savings, just not as much. Add $1 per disc to the YourMusic.Com total.

The YourMusic.Com prices include shipping, but not sales tax (where applicable). With Amazon, usually if your order is $50 or more, shipping is free,
    so the overall price comparison is valid.

The first listing lists all of the box sets in semi-alphabetical order.

The second listing is sorted by raw dollar savings, highest first.

The last listing is sorted by percentage, lowest first (greatest savings).

I hope you find this useful!

I don't really plan to update this on an ongoing basis; it was a onetime thing just for **** and giggles....

http://www.polksda.com/yourmusic.pdf
  • polksda
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Just a quick aside: rereading the original data I compiled, it seemed that the best deals in general were in the classical music genre. I bought my Mom a few of the 10-CD boxed sets (von Karajan et al.) that would have cost $100+ elsewhere...
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Any hidden costs/fees when signing up for this service? Minimum length of membership? etc... Of course, this would be beside the monthly 5.99 subscription fee which includes 1 free selection (assuming you have one in the queue).
  • polksda
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Nope. Can cancel at any time. No commitment. Only "hidden" fee would be if sales tax is charged in your state...
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited February 2006
    Options
    So what happens when you decide to quit.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Options
    ^^ Yeah, that. And, how long does it take for your 'service' to be cancelled? And, has anyone here cancelled?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2006
    Options
    OK, I'm broke now. Thanks! ;)
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited February 2006
    Options
    No, I guess nobody has canceled, each day I put .20 in a can, at the end of 30 days of have 6.00 so I can buy a CD and a penny gum ball, if, and its a big if the one machine I know that still takes a penny has any gumballs in it. I really like it when I get a purple gumball it makes it a very special month for me so I save my .20 cents a day again and try it. Last month I got a blue gumball, it was OK, but not near as good as the purple one.

So now you know why I cant quit Yourmusic.com there are a thousand stories in the Naked City, you have just heard one.

RT1
  • seo
    seo Posts: 305
    edited February 2006
    Options
    No, I guess nobody has canceled, each day I put .20 in a can, at the end of 30 days of have 6.00 so I can buy a CD and a penny gum ball, if, and its a big if the one machine I know that still takes a penny has any gumballs in it. RT1

RT1 - What happens in February? :confused::);)
    Signature goes here
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I am gonna try this for a bit. $5.99 is a great deal....I don't know if I can limit myself though to 1 a month.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited February 2006
    Options
    sheeesh, I did not want to get into February its that ODD BALL month, its quite confusing and depends on whether its leap year or not, but it has to do with the rotation of the sun and an adjustment, so I have to take some coinage on a rotational basis from the months with 31 days, its very very complicated and involves or sorts of interpolation is why SACD is better. The Leap Years are really bad, I have to travel to Stonehenge to figure them out, man I thought everyone new that.

RT1

Gee, I am the only one with a story about why they cant quit your music???
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I am gonna try this for a bit. $5.99 is a great deal....I don't know if I can limit myself though to 1 a month.

You don't have to....you can get as many as you want for $5.99

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • reeltrouble1
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I don't know if I can limit myself though to 1 a month.

Oh my Darla!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah..........well now in my best serious voice.

I have been very happy with them, some of the members are having trouble now getting the SACD as they are b/o.
  • wingnut4772
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Ha ...'Oh My darling Clementine'....... :D

Hmmm....Ok I'm going shopping. Are we sure the quality is the same?
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• reeltrouble1
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Wing,

I have had no issues with any disc I have received from them. A couple of the jewel cases had a cracked case, they replace those quickly if you ask them. But all the artwork etc. is the same as anywhere else.

RT1
  • wingnut4772
    edited February 2006
    Options
    OK ..Cool beans. Thanks
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• fireshoes
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I signed up on the 14th. I have 188 cd's in my queue, and only two of them are listed as low quantities. My first disc hasn't shipped yet (says it is usually with 72 hours, currently about 48), but my order for another 13 cd's shipped on the 15th. I wasn't expecting a one day turnaround for shipping with it being free. It really seems like it's too good to be true. Of the 13 cd's I ordered on the shipment, only two were regular cd's, one was a double album, and the other ten were either SACD, DualDisc, or had a seperate DVD. Just incredible for $84.
  • reeltrouble1
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Looks like you are in for some fun listening sessions FS!!!!

RT1
  • fireshoes
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Heck yes I am!

BTW, got an email from them today that said my first queue selection shipped yesterday, so it was within approximately 48 hours of signup. Anyone know where they ship from?
  • fireshoes
    edited February 2006
    Options
    I received all of my cd's today. It was 7 days total from ordering to receiving, with a holiday in there too, so I'm very pleased with the results so far, especially when factoring in the great prices. I did a few songs off several of the discs so far, but there's definitely a lot more listening ahead!

For those interested, here's what I got:
    Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
    Patricia Barber - Live: A Fortnight In France
    Stone Sour - Stone Sour (Special Edition w/DVD)
    Velvet Revolver - Contraband (DualDisc)
    Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral (DualDisc)
    Nine Inch Nails - With Teeth (DualDisc)
    Diana Krall - The Girl In The Other Room (DualDisc)
    Andreas Vollenweider - Vox (DualDisc)
    Bond - Explosive - The Best Of Bond (DualDisc)
    Fear Factory - Demanufacture/ Remanufacture (Deluxe Edition)
    Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard (SACD Hybrid)
    Albert King & Stevie Ray Vaughan - In Session (SACD Hybrid)
    Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (SACD Deluxe Edition - 2 CD/1 DVD)
    Paco de Luc
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Man, I'm so interested. Can't talk the parents into it, though.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • I-SIG
    I-SIG Posts: 2,238
    edited February 2006
    Options
    That ****' rocks!

Wes
    Link: http://polkarmy.com/forums

Panasonic TH-42PHD8UK 42" HDTV | Polk Audio SDA-SRS's (w/RDO's & Vampire Posts) + SVS PC+ 25-31 | AudioQuest Granite (mids) + BWA Silver (highs) | Cary Audio CAD-200 | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Wyred 4 Sound STP/SE Pre | Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR's | Cambridge Audio azur 840C--Wadia 170i + iPod jammed w/ lossless audio--Oppo 970 | Pure|AV PF31d
  • fireshoes
    edited February 2006
    Options
    For a further update on my experience at yourmusic, I placed a second order late last Tuesday night/Wednesday morning for another 16 discs. Ten of them shipped Wednesday (essentially same day shipping) and the other 6 shipped Thursday. I received the first 10 today for a five day turnaround, even better than my first order. I'll let you know if I get my other 6 tomorrow.
  • fireshoes
    edited February 2006
    Options
    Got the other six discs today!
  • wingnut4772
    edited March 2006
    Options
    I got all mine pretty quickly also.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• mldennison
    mldennison Posts: 307
    edited April 2006
    Options
    hi all,
    i am thinking about signing up for this and just wanted to see if everyone still likes this service, seems like it is too good to be true, has anyone found any catches??
  • thehaens@cox.net
    thehaens@cox.net Posts: 1,012
    edited April 2006
    Options
    Great Deal, been using it for about 6 months now. Every once in a while my items in my Q will get in short supply.......but if this is the case, they will let you know via email....

No Catch at all...I get what I order....for 5.99
  • wodom1
    wodom1 Posts: 1,054
    edited April 2006
    Options
    I've been using them for a year now, and have had nothing but good service. It's nice to come home from work and have a CD waiting for me once/month that I totally forgot about.
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
    Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre