Which LSi combo should I get?

plem
plem Posts: 30
edited September 2002 in Speakers
It'll be a tough choice and I'm sure they'll have their pros and cons.
I'm thinking about a pair of LSi15's for fronts and LSi9's for the rear OR LSi9's for front and back. Each combo will have a sub and matching LSi center channel in an avg. size room.
I'll use either choice mainly for music and not so much for hometheater (no LSi fx). Just want to sit back and relax to some high resolution music in both 2 channel or 5.
Question is which setup to get? Any help is appreciated.
Thanks! :)
Post edited by plem on

Comments

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    I personally would prefer 4 LSi9s with the LSiC and a good sub. That would be a fantastic multchannel music system. I think that the 4 matching speakers would produce an even surround soundstage. Plus I happen to like the LSI9s with a sub very much for a 2 channel system. I sure there are others here that would go for the towers but I have always preferred a really good bookshelf paired with a really good sub.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2002
    I'd get the chicken with lettuce, tomato and mayo.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    I can't answer that for you.
    I'll just say this.......go out and listen to both the Lsi 15's and the Lsi9's side by side and see what one comes home with you.Don't forget you'll need some stands to go with the Lsi9's.And I don't feel the need to add a sub to the Lsi 15's..there nice all by them selves.

But a REL is up next and they blend with music better then any su I have ever heard.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • shack
    edited August 2002
    I did listen to the LSi9 and the LSi15 together for a good demo with all types of music and movies. I still came away preferring the LSi9. I think it does a better job on the mids than the 15. The bass that it produced down to to it's limit was so tight and defined. It may be a little more trouble to set up the LSi9s with a sub but when it is right it is very sweet! Just my .02.

I do not have a problem with the LSi15s. They too are a very good speaker. You probably can't go wrong either way. Like mantis said...do what I did...listen to them both and then YOU decide what YOU like!

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • plem
    plem Posts: 30
    edited August 2002
    Thanks so far with the replies.

Shack, I was wondering what kind of soundstage will you get with the LSi15 and LSi9 setup? Will they blend in especially with an additional sub? Sub overkill? Though it makes sense with what you mentioned on a better soundstage and an LSi9 setup all around.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited August 2002
    im with shack 4 lsi-9 and a good sub

if i get the lsi-9 i will put them with my 2 psw-650s on top, with pedalstals
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • shack
    edited August 2002
    The LSi15 and LSi9 should blend just fine. The top half of the two are identical as far as the actual drivers and tweeters are concerned with the crossover for the tweeter being the same and the crossovers for the mids just a little different. I think they would be a very good system especially for HT. In HT the difference in the two would not even be noticed.

As multichannel music becomes more available with DVD-A and SACD I think that matching the front and rear speakers will be of some benefit. There are some that don't like mc music preferring stereo only. I too will only listen to music as it was recorded in stereo and do not use any dsp for music but I have several SADC multichannel discs and they sound very good. In my system I have the RT55i in front and the RT15i for rears. For SACD I wish I had the room to put another set of 55s in the rear to blend a little better and create a more balanced surround-soundstage.

I have often heard that the ideal multi-speaker setup would be 5 (or more) identical full range speakers. I have never had the pleasure of listening to a setup like that (does anyone know of a true full range speaker). If you look at the specs for the LSiC and the LSi9 they are as close to identical as you can get. The box for the C is slightly smaller but they both have the same two 5 1/4" dtivers and the same tweeter and they are all crossed over the same points. At some point in the future I will consider the upgrade to the LSi9 with the LSiC and a sub(s) for a dedicated music and theater room.

• mantis
    edited August 2002
    alot of good points,
    I perferred the Lsi 15's over the Lsi9's ,they both sound almost exactly the same,except the height out of the lsi 15's over the lsi9's on slightly smaller stands made the soundstage abit shallow.The Lsi 15's dominated in the lower extention and overall height out of the soundstage.both speaker did Image like crazy.
    Man you can't go wrong, both speakers are great.I'm not sure about the psw650,Id wait and see if Polk will come out with a better sub,I hope they come out with a matching Lsi sub, that would be cool.Musical subs are hard to come buy.I only like 2 in my price range..REL and Sunfire.
    Dan
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2002
    Mantis, regarding your post about a better sub possibly coming out, a couple weeks ago I talked to the Polk rep for my store, and he said that there are no plans for a sub higher than the PSW650 level. There is a new line of subs coming out this fall though, so it will be interesting to see how they compare. The current batch of subs are being clearanced, which is why you're seeing them discounted in mainstream outlets like Crutchfield and CC.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    There's a new, upgraded version of the PSW650 coming out that's supposed to be the LSi grade subwoofer. We'll see.

Aaron
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited August 2002
    Better save my pennies for that subwoofer.

plem, I have a Lsi9/C/FX setup and couldn't be happier. The 9s are just very tight and detailed, and mesh perfectly with the C and the FX. I understand your reasoning with going with a traditional speaker for the rear, but the FX have quite the frequency response! I don't have a subwoofer currently for my system, but it rattles pretty good :) I know that I am missing some stuff, but right now I can't get a sub (apartment)
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited August 2002
    Sure would like to hear which combo you end up with, why you
    chose that one, and after you get it all home and set up. Past the
    break in period what you think. Keep us posted!
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    You know I hope that an Lsi sub comes out......Polk needs a round of better subs.

I 'm not going to wait around for that to happen......It would be nice though.

I found a couple of sub's that are nice.
    Dan
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    I found a couple of sub's that are nice.
    Oh really? Tell us all about it. Oh wait, nevermind. We've already heard you ramble on about Rel. :p

Aaron
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2002
    15's, center, fx's, 7's....The only way to fly!!
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited September 2002
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    15's, center, fx's, 7's....The only way to fly!!

yeah, that's what i'd go with.

joe :D