volume

gmg
gmg Posts: 22
edited August 2002 in Electronics
OK guys, I wasn't sure where to post this here goes. I just moved all my gear from a 15x25x8 room to a 14x17x6.5 room. When in the larger room, sound seemed to spread out and and not require as much volume as I'm having to use in the smaller room. For example: large room- movie volume about -24. small room--17. To my ear, it seems the small room is sucking sound out the speakers.

What I've done: Large room 10 ft speaker runs MonsterZ1
Small room 35 ft speaker runs Monster inwall 12
I've got the same equipment in both rooms except for the speaker run length/version. Will runs of this length require more out of my amps? My equipment is B&K Ref 30, B&K Ref 2220 for the front and a B&K 7250 for surrounds and center. AudioQuest Coral interconnects and Monster in wall 12 g. RT55i's front, CS1000i center, FX500 sides and RT35i's rear and PSW650. I'd like to upgrade the speaks but I'm concerned the room may have some sonic properties that would make upgrades a poor choice. Any comments or suggestions welcome. Gordo
Post edited by gmg on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2002
    probably not affected by minor speaker length changes.
    More important are room acoutics, does your new room have more windows?
    Big bass suckers.

-Luc
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    Definitely sounds like room acoustics, particularly the 6.5' ceiling height.

Aaron
  • gmg
    edited August 2002
    The room has only one window and one entry door as compared to six in the other room. I installed heavy drapes over the window and thick carpeting on the floor. A couple chairs and a futon for furniture. Maybe a half dozen movie posters on the walls and that is all that is in this room. I had thought by moving my stuff into this room it would be more enjoyable than the large room. It appears I was incorrect. Gordo
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    room acoustic's is what is sucking the life out of your system I believe.The low ceiling isn't a good thing,it's a bad thing.

Id move the system back in the larger room is possible.You got more then enough poswer to fill a large room.The B&K amps are strong.To fix the smaller room, you might have to livin it up a bit,if it's to dead, that will suck away alot of energy.The bigger rooom I bet had alot of reflection points untreated there increasing the overall volume.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    y not just get a big 10 pound sledge hammer and start tearing down ur walls
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • gmg
    edited August 2002
    Thanks guys, except for the 10 lb sledge hammer idea! Can't go back to the big room. The wife has her living room back and she ain't giving it up. The room that is. Any suggestions on how to "liven" up the room? What have some of you guys used? Thanks in advance. Gordo
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    Any suggestions on how to "liven" up the room? What have some of you guys used?
    A couple strippers and a keg should do it! :D

Aaron
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2002
    Women can be like that.
    Once had to resort to starting a dust bunny fire
    to drive her out.

Any chance of de-carpeting?
    And instead using a
    less than wall to wall rug?

-Luc