getting interference from Receiver... how to stop?

nadams
nadams Posts: 5,877
edited August 2002 in Electronics
I have my JVC receiver sitting on a shelf above my computer monitor. When I turn it on, I get interference on the computer screen. I also think that the interference is causing my monitor to flash occasionally. What can I do (other than moving either the monitor or the receiver) to fix this? Is there anything other than lead that will shield the monitor??? Thanks,

DooD
Ludicrous gibs!
Post edited by nadams on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    raise the receiver atleast 5 inches above the monitor...
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • nadams
    edited August 2002
    from the bottom of the shelf to the top of the monitor is 8"

it's another 1 1/4" from the bottom of the shelf to the bottom of the receiver.

Thanks for the reply,

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    Get an LCD monitor. :D

Aaron
  • nadams
    edited August 2002
    Ha... nice suggestion, if I had the money. I just noticed you're from Hershey... I'm from Bloomsburg. Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but nice to know... Thanks,

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    Cool, another Pennsylvanian! I just thought of something. Do have both the monitor and receiver plugged into a surge protector? Does it have RFI filtering? I've noticed with cheap surge protectors you often get strange things happening. Anyway, that's something to check out.

Aaron
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    if your monitor is old...they start to flash, skip etc, loose color...etc when they get old..if thats not it...i'd sugest mov ehte receiver...lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    If you don't move the receiver, you're gonna end up killing your monitor over time. Although, then you COULD get the LCD that Aaron suggests........hell......just keep it where it is.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • nadams
    edited August 2002
    I'm going to try switching it over to a different surge protector. I hadn't even thought of that. Thanks, Aaron. Also, I don't want to kill this monitor! It is less than 3 weeks old.

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2002
    I've noticed the same thing when my cell phone rings and it is by my monitor. I think it is related to magnetic shielding....or maybe radiation heh.
  • nadams
    edited August 2002
    switched over to different protector... still the same.

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Move that **** man, you answered your own question.....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    If something is placed somewhere and it is causing problems?why leave it there?
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nadams
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by mantis
    If something is placed somewhere and it is causing problems?why leave it there?

Because if I move my computer, my audio cable won't reach, which means I'll have to use an extension. If I use an extension, I get interference, and interference is baaaad. I don't have the $$$ for a nice long Monster RCA cable, unfortunately. Is there a max length for RCA??? Thanks,

DooD
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Aaron
    edited August 2002
    I don't have the $$$ for a nice long Monster RCA cable, unfortunately. Is there a max length for RCA???
    I've seen RCA's as long as 8m (> 24 feet). I got an inexpensive RCA cable from a guy on the forum that's 15' long that I use with my computer. Works fine.

Aaron
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    If you don't shell out some money for a lil cable, you're gonna be hella pissed if you end up replacing a monitor..........

Good lord.......this should be as simple as just MOVE YOUR RECEIVER..............

nuff said!
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited August 2002
    Not really related.. but sort of related.. given that I've had about half a bottle of cheap whiskey... when I turn on the audio system, my TV reception goes to ****. We don't have cable, and the HT is in the basement, so I bought a set of powered rabbit ears, which work pretty well. But when I turn on the HT system, I lose a lot of the TV reception. No big deal except when I want to tape something on VHS and watch a DVD at the same time. The antenna is about 4 feet from the receiver/system.

ANyway... just wanted to be a part of the cool kids...

Just watched Taxi Driver on DVD (borrowed from the local library). Never saw the entire thing before.. not a bad flick. Wouldn't buy it.. but not too bad.