One More Question Re: PSW450

tkaminski
tkaminski Posts: 11
OK,

First off, thanks to the guys that helped me with the last problem...

Here is my question:

I have the PSW450 Sub...It has both L/R RCA and LFE inputs on it...My Amp only has L/R sub out...There is no LFE out on the amp...Can I still use the LFE in on the sub connecting it to one of the L/R RCA on the Amp or what? I read the manuals on both but they are bit confusing...Any help would be great...Thanks...:confused:
Post edited by tkaminski on

Comments

• hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    read this
    http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5076

same answer use the lfe and a single cable
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • tkaminski
    edited August 2002
    So basically use the LFE in on the SUB and does it matter of I use the L or R on the Amp...I am guessing not but just want to make sure...Also I have my fronts set to large (RM6600) and the rest to small...So recom. setting them all to small??? as stated in the link...I have to be honest, the crossover thing really conf. me...I am not real good with the details of HT...The basics I get...Thanks for the help...
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    I would set all speakers to small, hook up the subwoofer (LFE) "out" of the receiver to LFE "in" at the subwoofer.

Dial the subwoofers variable crossover to the highest setting.

BINGO you are ready.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • tkaminski
    edited August 2002
    The thing is my Amp does not have an LFE Out, only Sub put L/R...Should I just use one of those? And if so does it matter which one...Thanks for the reply...Tom
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    hoosier.....I don't think his "amp" or receiver has an LFE out? I think he is saying there are 2 pre-outs for the sub L/R. tkaminski.....what "amp" or receiver do you have? There is one sure way for you to hook this up and know that it is right....

Run speaker wire from the "amp" or receivers (l/r front speaker terminals) to the sub and from the sub to the l/r front speakers. Run speaker wire to the center and rear speakers from the receiver and set all speakers to SMALL. Set the sub crossover at 150 and you are ready to go.......
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Wire the fronts through the sub, and set all speakers to small?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Wire the fronts through the sub, and set all speakers to small?

Yep.....Set the sub crossover at 150 and you are ready to go.......:D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    So, send nothing under 80Hz or so to ANY speaker, including the sub? Should the mains not be 'large'?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    Anything under 150 will go to sub with the crossover set there....Those little RM6600's will not play under 150. I think that would be right?
  • tkaminski
    edited August 2002
    The Amp is a Sony 444ES...At this point I have all of the speakers wired directly to the sub...This is how I would like to leave it if poss. and tweak the settings around that...But you are correct, I do not have a LFE out on the AMP...Thanks...Tom
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    With the mains set to small?
  • tkaminski
    edited August 2002
    At thipoint my mains are set to Large and the others are set to small...
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    OK.....I see what your saying now. Yeap.....fronts set to large is correct to get the sub the full signal. Hell....I drank 12 Millers and 1/2 bottle of 7 last night and my brain is running in "protection mode":D
  • tkaminski
    edited August 2002
    Good to see the brain is still running...

Thanks...Now should the Amp be connected via the L or R out on the Amp subout? Thanks...
  • freid
    freid Posts: 24
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by nascarmann
    Anything under 150 will go to sub with the crossover set there....Those little RM6600's will not play under 150. I think that would be right?

This is not the first time I have seen reference to the lower limit of the RM6600 satellite response that has me confused.

My setup is as follows:
    Denon 2802,
    RM6600, Center and Satellites
    Velodyne 12 Sub,
    All Satellites connected to speaker out on amp and set to small
    Sub connected to sub out on amp
    crossover on amp set to 100HZ.

Using a tone generator I am getting a tone from the Satellites as low as 100 Hz. Why is it said that the RM6600 satellites do not play under 150 HZ.

Please, can someone can clear up my confusion? The Velodyne sub only goes as high as 120Hz and I always wonder if I will have a "hole" in my system between 120hz and 150 hz.

freid
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    I could be wrong, but I think I have read where Kenneth Swauger has said there lower limit is 150Hz.....
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Maybe the 100Hz tone is 3-6db down or some such? ;)
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2002
    Welcome to the forum.

There's 2 ways to do it. I prefer the first for your system.
    Run speaker wire to the sub then to the mains. Set your mains to 'large' and you 'sub on/off' on your receiver to 'off'. Use the thickest cable possible between the amp and sub. If you don't have thick quality cable, double it up of equal lengths.
    Or:
    Hook the sub to both L&R out on your rcvr using a Y-cable if necessary. Set your mains to small.

Freid the same goes for you. Your sats may be able to make those sounds, but out of spec. Is it as loud @100hz as @150hz? The Velo probably plays higher than 120hz, but again out of spec. You might not get a hole, just a dip.

Good luck guys!
    Make it Funky! :)
  • trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited August 2002
    I had a sony 444es, and still have psw450 subs.
    Both sub outs on the Sony are mono.
    Connect the sub to either one, all the same.
    Use the lfe imput on the sub.
    You could even add a second psw450, (I did) front and rear, and the sound was better still.

-Luc