Rt7 Vs. RT800i comparison

scotta2z
scotta2z Posts: 10
edited August 2002 in Speakers
I am wondering what some of your takes are on a RT7 and RT800i matchup. I have no complaints for the 7's I own but cannot find any 800i's anywhere to test. So I hand my battle over to the forum for popular opinion. My receiver is an Onkyo 777 model and I also use a Cerwin Vega HT15 subwoofer along with my center and surrounds from Polk.

RT7 or RT800i, the good . . . and not so good of each?
Post edited by scotta2z on

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    IMO, I would stick with the RT7's. I feel they are a better overall speaker.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Roger that. If for almost 100% HT use, either would be a fine choice....

Musically, I'll take the 7.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    hmmmmm.....I wonder what Russ is going to be doing Friday night????

BDT
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    like most Fridays - cheeto's and ****
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Nope, I will be re-united with my long lost love, the one, the only, Polk RT7. Friday night, I will have music in my sole. Life is not suck.

Cheese PUFFS man, PUFFS. Big ole 12lb food-club bad of em...
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    Well, the BOX says RT7 anyway........

I mighta got all Forrest Gump on you 'you never know what your going to get'....

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    All I know is there better not be used ****-paper and furry hot dogs that smell like **** in the box like the last package you sent me.....
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    tell Brandy to quit asking for it then.....

BDT

Russ opens the box to find a QUALITY pair of Jensen bookshelves....the ones with the emblem with the eagle in the Linda pose.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Linda? Bowling ball bass, beaver hunt Linda?
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    'you took the words right outa my mouth.....'

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Hey, its all good with me as long as the carpet matches the curtains, if you folla' me there good buddy.....
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    yeah, two out of three ain't bad.....

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Seeing a lot of 800 votes, with no posts to reflect their thoughts....

I'd be curious to know how many people who voted for the 800, have ever heard, or even seen an RT7......
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    good point......I echo the sentiment for HT, it's a wash but musically, no contest.

BDT
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    Jensen bookshelves....the ones with the emblem with the eagle

Saw those at the CC, WTF was Jensen thinking?? that every red blooded American would buy these because they are patriotic?
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2002
    Scott,
    I don't think that this thread is going to provide you with the kind of responses that you are after. Unfortunetly there are a few people around here that consider every thread to be their own personal chat room. Maybe they do not understand the reason that you set up this poll may have been to decide where and how to upgrade your system and that you may be looking for valid opinions. But then again maybe they do and just don't care.
    You might want to post another poll at one of the other HT sites like AVSForum or Home Theater Forum.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    FrankZ, you got a problem you need to get off your chest? I think there a couple valid opinions posted up 'there', and the poll seems to reflect some votes....

Do you have anything to add on the RT7 vs 800, I didn't see your opinion stated, maybe I missed it.... You own the 800's don't you? No thoughts?

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    As Russ said, our opinions are there.....as far as the rest of it goes, consider it a bonus. If you don't like it, don't read it.

BDT
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited August 2002
    Russ,
    I do own Rt800i's but can't give an opinion regarding the comparison of the 800 vs Rt7 because I have not listened to the 7's.

As for wanting extra "stuff" being posted that has nothing at all to do with this thread....

wouldn't the Off Topic area be a better place for it?
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Yeah, I agree, OT would be a better place, but once the post starts to go wheels-off (even with a common theme 'rt7'), its pretty hard to get it to stop....

Cheers,
    Russ
  • TroyD
    edited August 2002
    well, you know, first ammendment and all that....

BDT
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2002
    No first ammendment here. Privately owned forum. Micah can lock us up whenever...
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    bawl.gif
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited August 2002
    FrankZ:

That's what's so damn GOOD about this forum - the segues and digressions. If we all stuck to the rigid format of just answering the question, the forum would be boring and have no spice. These guys MAKE this forum - it's the most fun to read of any of them, hands down.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • scotta2z
    scotta2z Posts: 10
    edited August 2002
    Hey now, I didn't mean to start any ill will, just want to know if people feel the 800's are a worthy replacement for the RT7's. Is there any difference other than the athstetics (spelling?).

AZ
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    No ill will man, I just see 2 posts above saying the RT7 is a better speaker, yet the poll is tied 6 to 6, with no rhyme or reason....
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Always a fight/arguement in here.

Well I for one have heard both speakers on countless occasions.
    The Rt7's have I will call it an older school sound.Warm and nice feeling.I like them alot.They actually where one of the speakers I looked at when I started my upgrade along time ago.They have a big driver at 7 1/2.I think they have a Trilamate tweeter but I can't remember.They don't have the bottom end like the rt800i's, but the rt800i's are sloopy in compare.The Rt7's bass as I recall was tight and clean.They are a pleasing speaker to listen to..........My vote is for the rt7's.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.