I scored at a yard sale

ron1691
ron1691 Posts: 5
edited August 2002 in Speakers
hey all,
im new to this forum, but ive been lurking around reading and learning about polk.
heres my deal, i bought a mint pair of rta 15tl with one fryed tweet, i put my order in with polk for a new sl 3000 tweet when they become available.
but i only ordered one, cuz the other is fine, my question is.. will the new tweet sound different than the old one?
the old one sounds really sweet. should i have just ordered a matching pair or will they mate with each other when the BREAK IN period ends?
maybe im just being paranoid.
the speaker with the good old tweet has a nice and smooth top end.
oh yea the price..90 bucks for the pair.
it was a good day
sorry my thread is so long
ron:)
Post edited by ron1691 on

Comments

• jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited August 2002
    I'm going to say you'd be better off replacing both, as a mismatch in the tweeters would be pretty noticable.

Ken Swauger could probably tell you if there's likely to be any difference in the "old" tweeter and the current replacement. 1-800-377-7655 ext. 891

Jason

And: Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you got a good deal.
  • ron1691
    edited August 2002
    thanx jcaut,
    ill give him a call nx week.
    ron
  • jcaut
    edited August 2002
    Some of the other guys on here might have experience with a situation like this. I personally don't. I just figure, especially if the tweeters aren't too expensive, that replacing both would be better than risking a mismatch. Of course, you could always replace the blown one then listen to see if you can tell any difference in the two--- If you can't, then you're all set!

Jason
  • ron1691
    edited August 2002
    jcaut,
    what i think ill do is just buy two, and replace em both, and just keep the good old one for a spare. the sl 3000 sure has a sweet sound to it.
    i just bought a pr of infinity kappa 6 with the emit tweeters. got a good deal on those as well, only 98.00 in exellent condition.
    it was a very good weekend at the garage sales.
    thanks for your replies
    ron
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2002
    Dang! I've gotta hit your yard sales. Mine are limited to mostly junk and no audio. And yet I'm hooked on the search and possibilities.

Good choice getting a pair. If you can make sure they have 'New Old Stock' getting one wouldn't be too bad, but it's better to get both. Burn-in on these tweets will probably be noticed around 20hrs. or so.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    I'm with you Mark....round here, yard sales, pawns and thrifts...big effin' NADA.

I certainly ain't finding no 25 dollar KEF's or 69 dollar Carver amps.....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    yard sales can be scary...fun but scary
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited August 2002
    i like going to yard sales and aksing how much for the yard...

other than that...theres not no really good yardsales around here in north carolina...blah...they all suck...considering i never go to any..LOL!
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • ron1691
    edited August 2002
    there are tons of sales here come summertime.
    whole towns have sales.
    its freaken crazy.
    but im hooked, you just never know what you can find at one.
    so far, ive found infinity, klipsch,
    maranz, pioneer, sony, blose, carver, nad, yamaha,mac (which i couldnt afford) and some off the wall brands.
    im going to a really big swap meet saturday.
    im looking for the alway evasive tubed stuff.
    or a turntable.
    i found an old rat shack phono pre amp #42-2101 for 1 buck!
    cant wait, only two more days!
    ron
    doh, i forgot to add my rta 15tl's
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited August 2002
    I was reading over at 'The Asylum' where a guy snagged a pair of Maggies at a thrift store. There was even a sign saying "These are actually speakers".
    Make it Funky! :)
  • jcaut
    edited August 2002
    There was even a sign saying "These are actually speakers".
    LOL:lol:

Me: "Are you SURE they're speakers? Look kinda weird--- I'll give you $25 for 'em....."

Man, the yard sales around here never have anything good. My grandmother LOVED going to yard sales. Every year she and her four sisters would get together and have a big sale. What they actually did is buy stuff from one another and then bring it back and sell it again the next year! She once bought me a clothes basket full of assorted colors of receptacle and light switch cover plates, some Vicks Vap-O-Rub bottles, and two chrome "F-100" emblems from an old Ford pickup.:lol:

Jason
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Momma and I went to the "largest yard sale in the world" last year and we hit at least 250 sites and nothing but junk as far as audio. I don't know if anyone has heard of this thing....it was on US 127 and runs from Alabama to Ohio and farmers were renting out there land and there would be as many as 75 sites setup in a huge field. Found some good NASCAR stuff.....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2002
    I've read about and saw something on PBS about, so how is it, any good antique furniture? I go to Brimfield, MA every spring to the biggest antique show in the world. Highly reccomended, if anybody is in to that stuff, but no Nascar stuff.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    F1nut

I'm not much on antiques....there was tons of furniture and lamps and glass and stuff like that. I'm sure there were plenty of deals if one new what to look for and value...

Sometimes I would swear that I had seen the exact same thing earlyier in the day and it would be 10X more or 10X less...:confused:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited August 2002
    YEAH, that happens alot with the antiques, but it's always 10X more! I may have to check out that multi-state sale one year.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk