Sony's new ES Series DVD Player!!

yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
edited August 2002 in Electronics
Well, I just purchased a used DVP-S9000ES for less than half than what this will go for, but it looks like it will be a nice unit!

FYI for Sony Fans out there...

http://news.sel.sony.com/pressrelease/2596
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    Did you purchase the DVP-NS999ES or DVP-S9000ES? There is a 9000 that has been in our local paper for over a month now for $500.00.....since it's not selling he would come down some one would think......If anyone wan't to call about it the contact number is: 423-768-3356. There is as a pair of RT-55's listed for $150.00....Number is: 276-679-4308 It says to leave message....

Just FYI....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • yoeddy
    edited August 2002
    I bought the 9000ES...a price of $500 is a frickin steal! I would have called since I paid a little more for mine. They usually go on ebay for $700+...

I'm a happy camper!
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited August 2002
    Nice to see a new ES model. I wonder if it has the same build quality at the 9000? I would miss the blue cube.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2002
    That's all well and good, but for that kind of coin they had better have fixed the chroma bug problem otherwise, fagettaboutit.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited August 2002
    What is the croma bug problem?
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2002
    It is an MPEG up sampling error. You can read all about it HERE but, once you do, you may hate the fact that you know what it is.

I believe the only player of Sony's that does not have this error was the 7000, or 7700 model. I would not buy a player with this error, one reason I went JVC.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited August 2002
    in english it's the digital artafacts seen in the background of dvd movies....very annoying on big screen or front projector's.If you look into a blue sky or a grey backing..it's noticable.Pioneer Elite's dv47a doesn't show this like alot of other players....not to mention the new dv48a will not have the chroma bug at all.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mark k. anderson
    mark k. anderson Posts: 18
    edited August 2002
    I have a Sony 9000ES feeding a Panasonic 56" HiDef RPTV and used some of the test material described in the web site linked in Ron-P's post. I can barely see the lines that are described in the text, and that's with my nose nearly stuck to the screen. I'm not even sure if I'm seeing the "bug". Is this really a big issue? Or, perhaps the LSI decoder has less of a problem than other chips?

Sitting back 10ft, the image looks beautiful. I've been very happy with the Sony piece.

mka
  • yoeddy
    edited August 2002
    I'll jump on this bandwagon as well. I just purchased the 9000ES as well and have owned the 7000 (that supposedly does not have the chroma bug), and also the 7700. I have too tried to find the problem on my 9000ES and cannot see the same defects and cannot see them. Hands down the 9000ES is mucho better in image quality on my 65" Mits HDTV. Just thought I'd add to this topic. Anyone else?