QUICK! Money not an object...LSi25 or LSi15

DAlba
DAlba Posts: 124
edited August 2002 in Speakers
Ok, anyone here actually listened to both models. What are the differences?

I will be ordering a set tonight but need some input. BTW, I have an Onkyo 989 and am also ordering a Paradigm Servo-15.
Post edited by DAlba on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2002
    Yeah, what he said.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hlalanne
    hlalanne Posts: 183
    edited August 2002
    I just head them the other day, don’t waste your money.
    They’re a place here in Las Vegas that sells these Polk speakers {the great indoors}.
    I went in expecting the new line of Polk’s to make my RT2000i sound like crap. However, it didn’t happen. At first, I assumed it was bad equipment that they were using, but that was not the case. Then I listened to some Jamo speakers and they sounded great.

So all I can say is buyer beware.
    :(
    Wooden Delight Theater

9/11
    NEVER Forget !!!
  • DAlba
    edited August 2002
    Well I'm impatient and went ahead and ordered a LSi15, LSiFX, and LSiC package.

Now to order the Servo-15. I found a guy on Ebay selling them new for $1000 + $45 shipping. He accepts AMEX which makes me feel better.

Is that a good price or can I find a better deal?
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    hlalanne

You are the first person or publication that has had anything to say negative about the LSi line? Just makes me wonder:confused:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Can't we get a dual svs package for that kind of coin?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited August 2002
    i went over to the great in doors in vegas about two mos. ago and took a listen to the lsi-15 there sound room sucks there where running a psw-650 with the lsi-15 they had the sub inside a cabinet you talk about sounding like ****, i pulled the sub out on the floor the guy gave me a drity look but what the hell it sounded a lot better but still was not set up right. i told the sales guy that they should try to set up right if they want to sale them, but he didnt understand what i was talking about. it was one of those guys that know vary little about audio. but i could tell that the lsi-15 would be great speaker set up right. i tried to set them up but that guy got very nervous, so as i was leving he put the speakers back to the original spots. thats that.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2002
    Like Russ said, go SVS, ditch the Servo-15.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    sTORE DEMO'S ARE STORE DEMO'S,
    its hard to buy in a piss poor enviroment.I know do you(haha).
    Anyway not everyones going to like the Lsi 15's but as stated you are the very first except me who had anything negitive to say about them.
    I'm gonna leave a real good honest review in Speakers soon,about the Lsi 15s.Keep your read on.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited August 2002
    The thing with the Lsi's is you just really really need a top notch receiver matched up with them to get the best sound.
  • DAlba
    edited August 2002
    Yes, I can't wait to get them. I actually have a RT5000p system now so I wonder if I will even like the new set-up instead of what I have. I was extreamly happy with the RT5000p for movies but it was lacking for music.
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    Powered towers man,
    there hard to get to go.The Lsi's are smooth and clean,you will loose some ooomph but with a great sub mated,you'll be right back in the drivers seat,this time with better clarity.
    Dan
  • joe logston
    edited August 2002
    im going back to the great in doors to day and see if they have the lsi-9, they didnt have them last time, and im taking some cds,i got a lot of time so i will try to set up the speakers right and give them a good listen. i should take my amp & pre amp, but to much work to do that.
    i think that the great in doors is the only place in las vegas to hear the lsi line of polks.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2002
    So the guy thought it would be "overkill" to use seperates to drive 4 ohm spkrs with the power handling & sensitivity ratings that the LSi9 has? Oh boy, I would certainly feel like I was in good hands talking to that particular "professional" :supermad: However, you have enuff knowledge of your own to make an informed decision. But I feel sorry for the bright-eyed novice who depends on such a person for all their AV advice. Good listening w/whatever your final choice is!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • joe logston
    edited August 2002
    just got back from the great in doors, they still dont have the lsi-9 but the sales guy said they have them on order they will be in a couple of weeks i took a another listen from the lsi-15 and the lsi-7, with the new norah jones cd. i like the lsi-7 for a small book self they sounded dam good in 2 channel stereo i like them better than the lsi-15 powered towers. i sill have not heard the lsi-9, i will be going back for that, i compaired the c-lsi with the cs-40i and the 40 was kind of in you face a little& louder, the c-lsi was more laid backand cleaner. went to the next room and gave a listen to the mks they had louder bass only no air at all to me they sounded like crap. the jamo they had a lose connection somwhere in the wires the speakers kept going off & on what i heard i didnt like i will give them another listen wend i go back.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• hlalanne
    hlalanne Posts: 183
    edited August 2002
    I’m sorry for putting down the new Polk line, but I just didn’t like what I heard .I do understand that most demo rooms suck and most sales people suck even more. However, I just expected more from the new line. Maybe I just expected too much. Now I will agree that the M&K speakers do sound like crap. The Jamo speakers I heard were the light colored ones with the $695 Price tag. The more expensive ones just weren’t that great. When I listened to the Jamo and the new Polks I had them pulled out two feet from the wall and in two-channel mode with no subs. Moreover, I really hate to say this, sense I have owned Polk speakers sense 1986 butt; I still liked the Jamo speakers more. Now this does not mean I going to sell my Polks and go buy Jamo. Since I believe when you join the Polk family, you join for life.

P.s. if you do find someone who carries the new line besides the great indoors please let me know.

P.S.S. this is the equipment I have now.

RT 2000i fronts
    CS 350LS for center
    LS/FX for the rears
    2 PSW 150 subs
    Sun fire’s signature two-piece system
    Sony’s S360 DVD player
    Sony vhs player
    Proscan 36 TV
    Sony CDP-CX400 400 disk changer
    Whole system is wired with Ixos cable
    Wooden Delight Theater

9/11
    NEVER Forget !!!
  • joe logston
    edited August 2002
    hi hlalanne,
    good to see some one in vegas that is in the forum, i thought that i was the only one here.
    heres my list of stuff
    speakers;
    mains- 2 rt-7 polks on top of 2 psw-650 polk subs with pedestals
    surounds- 2 rt-20p
    front center- cs-400i
    rear center- cs- 350ls
    effects- 2 take 5 energy
    placement sub- powered 15" audio source

tv- pro scan 36"
    receiver- yamaha gold rx-v1
    dvd players- pioneer dv-f07, sony s7000
    da-converter- aragon d2a with ips
    pre amp- aragon 24k sp with ips
    amp- aragon 4004 mark 2
    amp denon- poa-2400
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Joe, where the hell are you in Vegas? Email me man, I'm headed your way on Dec 16th......

Cheers,
    Russ
  • joe logston
    edited August 2002
    yes russ, you should stop by if you come to vegas, your more than wecome to come over, are you going to the comdex convention.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• RuSsMaN
    edited August 2002
    Comdex, Schmomdex, I'm throwin dice brotha.....
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    [Comdex, Schmomdex, I'm throwin dice brotha.....
    Oh sure, keep trying to play it down like you're not some kind of dork!

Aaron
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    i like them better than the lsi-15 powered towers.
    The LSi15's are passive; the LSi25's are the powered towers.

Aaron
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    I'm embarassed to ask.......but can someone explain passive vs. powered to me?
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    can someone explain passive vs. powered to me?

"Passive" in this term means needing an external power amp to drive the subwoofer. Also you have what is called a passive radiator.....this is a subwoofer that work by air movement inside a sealed speaker. The "powered" in this case means a speaker that has its own power amp built into the speaker to drive the subwoofer. You also have "powered speakers" that has an internal amp that drives all the speakers (subwoofer, mid-driver and tweeter or just a combination of these) When people refer to "powered towers" usual they are saying the subwoofer has it's own internal amplifier.

Hell....your probably more confused now than before.....
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    O boy
    Dan
  • nascarmann
    edited August 2002
    O boy
    If I'm wrong clear it up.....
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................ I get it. :D

B
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • joe logston
    edited August 2002
    nascarmann, you are right there passive, not powerd
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• joe logston
    edited August 2002
    russ, my e-mail is joevicki2000@yahoo.com
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2002
    Hey, this is an interesting thread.

I'm not surprised, but I am saddened that you had a crappy demo in Vegas. That sucks. I wish there were a way to make every demo room as ideal as possible, but of course that's just not realistic. This is the first bad stuff I've heard about the LSi line, and I hope it's a fluke; I honestly think that for the money you probably can't get a better speaker. I hope people like Troy and madmax pop in here and talk about what they heard here. (And how I should have been able to do a powered/passive A/B and didn't know how.)

Powered speaker: includes built in powered subwoofer. Passive speaker: no powered subwoofer. Simple.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited August 2002
    I listened to the LSi 25 powered towers, LSi center and surrounds driven with a Conrad Johnson 5 channel amplifier and a PSW650 sub at polk. Absolutely awesome! Could it be that using cheaper receivers cause problems with the sound? From what I heard, the powered towers called no attention to themselves because they were powered. I don't think that being powered is causing any problems with them.
    I heard the LSi25's in comparison with the LSi7's at the great indoors in MD and thought that given their demo room the LSi7's sounded better. I don't think they know how to set up the LSi25's properly. The LSi7's were set up properly though.

The demo at polk really opened my eyes! Given the proper setup of these speakers they cannot be beat for twice the price, powered or not.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D