Onkyo 595 and Polk LSi question

AllenLongcor
AllenLongcor Posts: 34
edited August 2002 in Electronics
Ok Polks rated at 4 ohms but an email to Polk revealed they average about 6 ohms. Now I just have the Polk LSiC right now and the rest of my setup are 8 ohm speakers (The previous center didn't match either and this is only the first step in my move to the LSi line). My Onkyo 595 has two settings: 6ohms and above and 4 ohms and above. Right now it is at 6 ohms and above and running with no problems. Should I switch it to 4 ohms and above just to be safe or would that adversely affect performance? Anyone with this setup?
Post edited by AllenLongcor on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    i AM,
    Get a better receiver if you plan on going Lsi's.
    You Onkyo is perfectly fine driving the rt lines...easy load.But Onkyo and 4 ohm loads isn't a good thing..it sucks the life out of them.Integra does the same exact thing ,which is the high end of the Onkyo line.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • GuitarheadCA
    GuitarheadCA Posts: 400
    edited August 2002
    I agree with Mantis, that the LSi's deserve a better reciever.

However,

Definately do switch the reciever to 4 ohms. You will notice no adverse affects whatsoever. I have the RTi Line (6 ohm) and I run them all at 4 on my Onkyo.
  • AllenLongcor
    edited August 2002
    I can only do one thing at a time. I HAVE to get better speakers first. Then I will upgrade the receiver section. I sent an email to Polk last week but no response yet.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited August 2002
    I would agree that separates would be more desireable, in the mean time, I would suggest to switch the Oink to 4 ohms and press on.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited August 2002
    The power ouput at clipping with all channels driven on your receiver is probably low enuff that you could easily overload them if you eventually use an all-LSi lineup. That way of measuring power is, in my opinion, more important than whatever the official specs are. Sound & Vision usually gives this figure when reviewing receivers, and even the the "upper echelon" models from the various companies come out lower than the official specs. However, some do better than others. I'm not saying it definitely won't work, but I strongly suspect that unless you are in a very small listening area, you will cause the circuit protection, or whatever they call it, to kick in if you ever try to crank the LSi's w/that receiver.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AllenLongcor
    edited August 2002
    I've heard of a few people who are running LSi's with an Onkyo 595 with no problems. My setup is in a bedroom so it is rather small to begin with. I did switch to 4 ohms last night with no problem. Not sure if it was any different than when I had it at 6 ohms, but better safe than sorry.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited August 2002
    Hey, if the ohm's option is there go for it. I WISH my Onkyo had such a setting. Must have started this with the "9" series.:supermad:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Don't get me wrong,
    the receiver will hold the load, but dynamic range suffers for it.Sound quality as well.
    Good luck with the Speaker upgrade..it's fun.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • AllenLongcor
    edited August 2002
    Yah. I just have to get rid of my Eosone speakers I've had for 3 years. In fact if anyone wants to by them lol. I will probably get the 9's and then start saving for seperates. I may just leave my Energy eXL15's as the rears for now.