LSI 9 or Studio 40?

mrgh
mrgh Posts: 3
edited August 2002 in Speakers
From what I've read, it sounds like the LSI is probably a better speaker, but what I'm trying to determine is which would be a better match for my equipment and listening preferences. I would be using a 65 wpc H/k 320 to push them and a SVS 25-31 to handle the low end. My room is 17x14. I'm thinking about adding a Parasound 855 if current amplification isn't adequate. I mostly listen to heavy rock, classic rock and some blues. I want a speaker with some punch, snap and good dynamics that won't make less than ideal recordings sound like crap. I've listened to the LSI 15s and they sounded really nice but are over my budget. I've also listened to the 7s, but even when mated with a subwoofer didn't seem to have the punch I'm looking for. I've have not been able to find a dealer in my area that carries the 9s.
Right now I'm leaning towards the Studio 40, but am wondering if the 9's would be a better match for me?
Post edited by mrgh on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited August 2002
    When I demoed the LSi9's they seemed to have pretty good punch for a bookshelf speaker with 5.25" mid/woofers. I can't speak for the Studio 40, but I haven't been impressed with the Studio 100 (which I've demoed several times). I think the LSi's will handily outperform the Studio line. Whether or not you like their sound, well, that's up to you. Good luck, and let us know what you decide.

Aaron
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Your gonna need good quality amps to run the lsi's....they seem to like power amps......So far I heard the Lsi's with Rotel seperates and it was really nice.All the receivers that I have heard the Lsi's with, just came up short in comparison.The closest thing to clean sound was the Pioneer Elite vsx47tx..which I ran almost the entire line of Lsi's except the 25's.
    Dan
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrgh
    edited August 2002
    So do they only sound average when driven from a receiver and would a Parasound 855 rated at 125 wpc into 4ohms do them justice? And when mated with a sub, how do they compare with the 15s?
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    Whats the pre amp???the receiver?...no coment.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrgh
    edited August 2002
    I would be using my H/K 320 with the Parasound 855 or maybe a Rotel rb985.