Sony DVP-S9000ES...good deal or not?

yoeddy
yoeddy Posts: 140
edited August 2002 in Electronics
So, I may be able to pick this DVD Player up to replace my Sony DVP-S7700 for $650. Is this a steal or am I not going to see much of a difference? I am wanting Progressive Scan since I just bought a Mits 65" HDTV. Opinions and any comments would be appreciated.
Post edited by yoeddy on

Comments

• nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    If that's new sound good I think? There is one in our local paper used asking $500.00.....
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • todd c
    todd c Posts: 5
    edited August 2002
    I replaced my DVP-S7700 with the 9000ES last October and saw a noticable improvement using the progressive scan output on my Mits 65857 HDTV. Sounds like a good price if new since I paid $1200! Good Luck.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited August 2002
    To add to this....its a 100% better player,not to mention you can venture out in SACD 2 channel.
    The TV you own, you pretty much NEED a progressive scan player to show off what the TV is capable of.
    It's a STEAL at that price point...just buy it.I would in your shoes.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • yoeddy
    edited August 2002
    Hey mantis...great minds must think alike :) it is shipping Monday. Can't wait. I have owned the Sony 7000, the 7700 and now this one. Rave reviews were given all over the net about this one. I hope this player likes my TV. My 7700 already shows a wicked interlaced picture, but everyone says the 9000ES progressive picture will blow it away! I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks guys!
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    It does,
    all of your players where refernece in there day...the 9000 es is no different.I loved that player.Its heavy,built like a tank and the blue light on the front is damn cool.I even like the way it loads the disk.Performance is key, not looks..you got both my friend.
    Just a tid bit,use the analog outs for SACD...they don't pass down the digital out.It's also only a 2 channel SACD player...but how cares...there hardly no disks out in multichannel for SACD anyway......so enjoy the saving's ang I can't wait for your review of the new player.
    By the way I loved the 7700,I liked the way it loaded the disk in as well, very cool front panel.
    Dan
    Dan
  • yoeddy
    edited August 2002
    Mantis...btw I have the 7700 for sale for $250. No progressive, but a hell of a player as you know.
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    You'll get it,if someone has a scaler..it would be the perfect peice.
    and for what your asking ..its a steal
    Dan
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited August 2002
    The 9000ES is great. However you should hold on to this one. The 9000ES may be Sony's best for awhile. For example Sony made the MDP600 Laserdisc player. The came out with other models but not as good. In fact the MDP600 is still indemand on ebay.

Just a tip. I am not going to sell my 9000es like I would not part with my SDA-SRS. They are in the same league.
  • mantis
    edited August 2002
    I would agree with that 2 a degree,
    Built quality all day buy Sony already out classed the 9000es witht the 900v, it has 12 bit video and upgraded the SACD to multichannel.It doesn't have the killer built quality but it does have it where it counts.
    ES will have a new player out soon,they always do.
    Dan
  • yoeddy
    edited August 2002
    Well, I just received the 9000ES and am totally blown away from the night and day difference compared to the 7700. First of all, the Progressive picture to my HDTV is stunning. Second of all, sonically....It is insanely better than the 7700 in regards to warmth, impact, and fullness. Lord Of The Rings was the first movie watched on this player, and even my wifes jaw was on the floor! My RT16's, 12's, and CS350LS sound like new speakers! I didn't hear any difference from the 7000 to the 7700 but the 9000ES is night/day. For the price I paid, I feel l hella scored on this deal. It would take a lot for me to upgrade for awhile at this point. I say that now, but I have admitted to myself that I have the 'Upgraditis' disease. Step one is admitting it :)

Thanks everyone for the comments!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    "sonically....It is insanely better than the 7700 in regards to warmth, impact, and fullness"

boy that 7700 outta sell like crazy now
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited August 2002
    boy that 7700 outta sell like crazy now
    :lol: I here ya.......
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • yoeddy
    edited August 2002
    Already sold it Hoosier... :)
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited August 2002
    I am sure you did, it is a good player at a good price,

Didn't know you had sold it and I thought it was funny how you were dogging the 7700.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."