What do you use to power your LSi9's?

AllenLongcor
AllenLongcor Posts: 34
edited July 2002 in Electronics
I'm looking at the Sherwood AM9080 or the Parasound 855a. Which do you think would be better to power the LSi9's with? Or you can just tell me what you use and how you like it. :D
Post edited by AllenLongcor on

Comments

• MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited July 2002
    sherwood sucks...dont know about parasound...yamaha is good
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited July 2002
    Are you doing a surround setup? The Parasound is probably the better amp, but if your doing 2/ch audio you may want to consider something different. The Para is 85 X 5 and the LSi9's are rated to handle 200per side @ 4ohm. What are you useing for a pre-amp and other speakers for this setup?
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    ok,
    to power the Lsi9's would require a seperate system.A high end receiver will do as well.

If this setup is for 2 channel which is what It looks like,Id look into Rotel.They make some killer 2 channel **** for little money.They also have some of the best power reserves in the bussiness at there price point and alittle behond.

Go to your nearest Rotel dealer and listen, bring your lsi9's with you for a better demo.

Consider better wire as well.I don't know what you own but wire will complete the system.
    Demo your face off.The speakers you got are worth the extra effort to get the system sweat.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    Yes....you must spend $30-$40 dollars a foot for wire to make it sound good...:rolleyes:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2002
    System sweat- mine has never sweated, am I missing out?
    would bi-wiring make it sweat, **** somebody help me out here, what have I been missing.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • nascarmann
    nascarmann Posts: 1,464
    edited July 2002
    Hell hoosier.....put it in your sauna....:D That will make it sweat.:lol:
    Oh, the bottle has been to me, my closes friend, my worse enemy!
  • AllenLongcor
    AllenLongcor Posts: 34
    edited July 2002
    I don't have the money for everything right now so currently the 9's will be run off of an Onkyo 595. I emailed Polk and they said it should not be a problem, but obviously I will need something better to make them sing. I HAVE to upgrade one step at a time.

So my pre will probably be the new Rotel or the the Outlaw 950 unless something else in the price range comes out before this winter.

The price I'd like to pay right now is about $500 or less, but that may change when the time to pull the trigger comes. I have been looking at the Marantz MM9000, Parasound 855a, Parasound 1205a, Sherwood AM9080, and the Adcom GFA7400. These extend up to the $1000 range which would probably be my ceiling (poor college student).

I have the 9's and the LSiCenter up front to start, with my current rears staying where they are (Energy eXL15's). I will then probably get some 7's for the rears. I'm looking for an amp to power this eventual setup. When I possibly get the 15's or 25's as mains I can add a 3 channel amp and may move to a 7 speaker setup by that time. For now my room is small (~8'x10') and I don't need overkill.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    Nascarman,
    I think you need to get out of that chair,get off the post and go listen to some wire.
    Price is one thing..better then what you own wire is another.

I get the feeling you haven't listened to wire before or enough.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited July 2002
    I run my Lsi9/LsiC and soon LsiFX off a Arcam AVR-200. Sounds beautiful and the amp has enough juice to drive all of them without breaking a sweat.
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200