Don't make them like they used to?

jltrdavis
jltrdavis Posts: 78
I recently went out a purchase a PSW350i to match my RT12's etc.. I was less then impressed with this subwoofer so I returned it and now I bought a old PSW150 off ebay. By the specs it looks to me like the old PSW150 is superior to the PSW350 and PSW450 for that matter. I haven't got the sub yet but does anyone else out there had a chance to compare the new vs. the old? Also anyone know which is better, the PSW150 or the PSW300?

Jason

-Jason
Post edited by jltrdavis on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2002
    Jason,
    i'd be real interested to find out what you learn once you get your PSW150. I just got into HT three years ago.. and it took me about 1 year to save enough $$ to complete my system. I went with the PSW350, because that's all i could afford at the time. For 2 yrs i left the sub in one place and never moved it. less than a year ago. i decided to move it around the room and expirement with what may help it reach better levels. Wha laa! I found that if i moved it to the rear right corner of my room, about an inch from my couch it increased the bass response about 20%. Bingo! that's exactly what was needed to make the sub perform like it was built to do. I'm just curious if you expiremented with your PSW350 before you returned it? Just asking, and trying to learn as I go and I enter the next phase of my upgrade.

peace
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited July 2002
    Check it out dude,
    I listened to the psw150 and the psw300 countless times.The psw450 blows them boht away for smoothness and sheer force.The psw450 is also quicker then the other 2.
    The psw300 is slightly better then the psw150,still I never cared for those subs.They where around when I bought my rt1000p's.I didn't bring one of them home then,and wouldn't today.

But, if you can have one real cheap,then by all means.For the money you can get a psw450 today,its all the more worth it.

Just my opnion of course......
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    I've had a PSW150 for a couple of years and have been pretty happy with it. My only real complaint is that it doesn't go very low. However, it is pretty tight when used with quality interconnects like MIT. I picked mine up on a closeout sale, so I can't complain about the price. However, the $600 retail price is a bit steep. Does anybody really know the difference between the PSW150 and PSW300 besides the amplifier power ratings?

Aaron
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited July 2002
    It's funny I keep hearing people saying bad things on these threads about the psw350. I personnally love it. It is on concrete floor, shakes the floor,couch, walls, and the ventilation system in my house 3 floors up.without being boomy or muddy.
    I guess the real question is what size room are you using. I am in a 9"by15" room, in which the unit works fine. But 1- 10 in woofer can only move so much air. If I had a larger room I would expect to need a larger unit or 2 subs. It depends on how much air you are trying to move to get the desired effect.
    I am also with Danger boy. I placed mine in the corner just off the wall for the best results. I have seen a lot of very expensive subs out there, I paid only $350 for my 350, for an amplified unit, dollar for dollar I would put up against anything out there.
    Just my 2 cents. Peace, StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • jltrdavis
    edited July 2002
    I got my PSW150 today and it's not even fair to compare this sub to the PSW350 or the PSW450. The PSW150 is a real subwoofer. I have a large room about 22 X14 X 9 and this thing fills the entire room with quality bass. Just look at the -3db Frequency response the PSW150 is 30-150 hz and the PSW350 is 38-160 hz. The PSW350 just doesn't play as low.

But that's just my opinion.

Jason

Mains: RT12
    Center: CS250
    Rears: RT35
    Sub: PSW150
    Reciever: H/K AVR7000

-Jason
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    Glad to hear you like your "new" sub! Enjoy! Now, go buy some MIT Terminator 6 interconnects for it, and see how much tighter it gets. It made a huge difference on mine.

Aaron
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited July 2002
    That's correct it is not fair to compare it to the 350(100 watts) or the 450(150watts). That's exactly what I am saying. Your 150 is -200 watts peak. You have to go to the top of the line Polk sub to compare apples to apples. It is rated at somewhere around 165-175 watts, 250 watts peak. But it (psw650)also suggested retails for around $769.
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2002
    The PSW150 is a real subwoofer.
    Dam!!!!!! I knew I should have bought that sub. instead of my PSW1200.:lol:
  • jltrdavis
    edited July 2002
    Well, some of us don't have the money to spend $1000 on a subwoofer. ( Actually, my wife would kill me ) I'd love to own one though.

-Jason
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2002
    I could'nt resist.;)
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited August 2002
    Originally posted by STUFFMD
    It's funny I keep hearing people saying bad things on these threads about the psw350. I personnally love it. It is on concrete floor, shakes the floor,couch, walls, and the ventilation system in my house 3 floors up.without being boomy or muddy.
    I guess the real question is what size room are you using. I am in a 9"by15" room, in which the unit works fine. But 1- 10 in woofer can only move so much air. If I had a larger room I would expect to need a larger unit or 2 subs. It depends on how much air you are trying to move to get the desired effect.
    I am also with Danger boy. I placed mine in the corner just off the wall for the best results. I have seen a lot of very expensive subs out there, I paid only $350 for my 350, for an amplified unit, dollar for dollar I would put up against anything out there.
    Just my 2 cents. Peace, StuffMD
    I got the 350 and have been very unhappy with it..to much popping for me
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited August 2002
    well for the $ i think the PSW350 is okay too. If i had it over to do again.. i'll probably buy something a big more powerfull and deeper. next year i'll upgrade the sub. and run both..
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin: