Authorized dealers..Who cares!

Frank Z
Frank Z Posts: 5,860
edited July 2002 in Speakers
I've been surfing looking for the best price on a complete set of Lsi speakers to replace my current setup. After finding some good prices I called a local high end audio shop that sells Polks (not the Lsi line yet) and asked if they would be able to match the prices that I found online. I explained that I wanted to spend my money locally. Of course they said no and quoted me a price that was $1100 more than the internet shops that I found! They also had the nerve to tell me that the price they quoted was $500 below list price. I asked why they could not match the price that I found( I even offered to tell them where) but the sales weeney just mumbled some lame assed **** about Crutchfield and Circuit City being the only authorized internet sales agents (according to his Polk Rep.) Fine, "So what does that have to do with not matching a competitors price?' I asked. Again he starts with the authorized dealer crap and sensing that he is not going to get any of my hard earned cash he starts laying the blame on Polk for setting a price that all of the "Authorized dealers" must agree to. If this is the case then I fear for the future of this country as a free enterprise giant. SAY IT AIN'T SO.

POP QUIZ

Where will I buy my next set of speakers?

Hint: "Locally" is not even close!
9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
Post edited by Frank Z on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited July 2002
    whats wrong dude,
    I don't get how online shops sell things for what they cost.
    I'd talk to Polk before you buy online.I saw many people get burned on deals like that .Just becarefull who you buy from.

I don't buy things on line like that for my reasons above.
    Good luck anyway with your upgrade.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Frank Z
    edited July 2002
    Mantis,
    Your right, people can and do get burned buying online. But then again a litttle homework by the average consumer can go a long way toward making sure that you don't get ripped off. The online stores that I looked at came highly recommended, and I have even purchased from one of them before. Using a credit card with a purchase protection plan is a good way to go.

As for talking to Polk......HEY MICAH.....Care to comment?
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    Paul has commented before that regardless of where you bought it, if the speaker is defective, they will fix it.

However, if it is an issue, such as damage during shipping you could be out of luck.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Frank Z
    edited July 2002
    Good point...its always a good idea to inspect for shipping damage as soon as you get anything delivered to your door step!

Don't get me wrong folks, I'm not a penny pinching geezer but spending an additional $1100 on speakers from an authorized dealer just does not make any sense to me. Am missing something? I'm all for the dealers making a profit but I can't see how they can justify such a huge difference in price.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2002
    this is probably a simple question. but why are prices so much better for speakers online than in a brick and morter store? I thought I got the best deal on my RT800i's on Ebay. much better than I could even on an open box deal at CC.
    I to like to support my local hi end stereo shop.. but with prices some times as much at 400% markup.. it's tough to justify buying it locally.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited July 2002
    Most online stores are rated and reviewed on line...I have purchased a few things through Crutchfield and Amazon .com the last being a Onkyo DVD unit,and everything was very well packaged and arrived in great shape, double and sometimes triple packaged. I believe it's priceline.com that has several seller reviews on product condition and service, and there are others.
    I usually go listen to products in the expensive stores , then go purchase online, Maybe that's why stores cost so much more............LOL.
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • Frank Z
    edited July 2002
    The point is now moot! Got the "go ahead" from my wife and ordered the Lsi15's, 7's, FX's, and Center speaker!

Anyone interested in buying my current setup, it will be availabe as soon as my new gear arrives inabout 2 weeks.
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2002
    Congrats Frank, I have also recently bought certain equipment on the web. Authorized dealers mark up A/V equipment like jewlery.
    I was blown away by what dealers cost are and this is Newest production equipment. (paying the middle man big time)This is what I have always said - do as much research as possable from whom your buying from - if the price is right- and only reliable equipment. Last purchase for me was the Denon DVD2800. No one would sell it for under $800 - got mine on e-bay for $400 doubled boxed, factory sealed, and with latest and greatest model.
    This was not a DVD player that was going to just fall apart. If a do have a problem with it later on the repair cost will be worth the original savings. 2 cents;)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by STUFFMD

I usually go listen to products in the expensive stores , then go purchase online, Maybe that's why stores cost so much more............LOL.

Yeah, really! Do you think that could be it!?! I don't like parting with my hard earned money anymore than the next guy, but if everybody did that we will not have any "expensive stores" to go and listen to products at. When you buy local you're going to build a relationship with knowledgeable people, get equipment to take home and demo, trade in old stuff, get loaners if your stuff has to go in for repair...etc. Try getting any of that online. I'll pay a little extra for that. My 2 cents.

My next purchase will be local.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    edited July 2002
    F1nut,
    There is something to be said for buying locally, but would you pay an extra $1100 for the benifits alone? Be honest.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2002
    Frank Z,

If it meant getting a warranty...yes.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Frank Z
    edited July 2002
    I'm getting a warranty with the Lsi speakers that I ordered online and I did not have to pay extra for it.
  • F1nut
    edited July 2002
    Frank Z

Hey, that's great...go for it. I still stand by my yes answer for more than the warranty issue, as I stated a few posts ago. If that makes me a fool, I'm ok with that.

Enjoy your Polks.

President of Club Polk

• tony27
    tony27 Posts: 49
    edited July 2002
    they are sales people. you pay them for their time and sometimes knowledge. buy on the internet if you can and you will save lots.
  • STUFFMD
    STUFFMD Posts: 381
    edited July 2002
    Hello F1 nut, in the case of the Onkyo DV-555, I went to several stores, most did not either have the product, or or have it in stock......the one store (not to be named) told me it would take at least a week to get the unit in.
    I went online...got a price quote on all the major stores, ordered it from Crutchfield...had it in my hot little hands in 3 days.
    The issues are not only with the price savings, but time issues as well. I don't usually have all day to shop around....what took all day with no product...took me 10 minutes online.
    I feel you on the local issue, I really do, but lately, I have been walking into local stores with more knowledge than some of the salespeople, if you can get help from them at all............
    Peace StuffMD
    Your system is only as good as your weakest component...!

OnkyoTX-DS 797
    NAD C270/ Mains
    Mains: LSI9's
    Center: Cs400i /Biwired
    Rear: Fx300i
    Rear Center:CS 245i
    Dvd: Onkyo DVS 555
    Vision RCA 36" Premiere Series
    Bang & Olfsen RX Turntable
    Psw 350 Front/Psw 202 rear
    Kimber Cable 4TC Mains HF
    Monster Originals/Center
    Kimber Interconnects
    Monster XP Everywhere else
    PS2/Gamecube
  • dan t
    dan t Posts: 206
    edited July 2002
    I bought my Monitor 10 series 2 Speakers from an authorized dealer in March of '91. Paid more than mail order at the time. No Internet then to order from. At an authorized dealer, you are paying for the salespersons time and a place to bring your faulty speakers should they fail within the 5 year warranty period (no charge). I prefer to buy my audio Equipment on line to save $$$. I'll take my chances with the warranty 'guidelines'.

Dan
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2002
    Good luck with your warranty when your dot-com store folds in 6 months.
  • dan t
    edited July 2002
    Sure Fireshoes...the Manufacture will always honor the Warranty..

Dan
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited July 2002
    if you don't abuse the **** out of your speakers and other equipment.. you should have years of worry free listening enjoyment from them. you can get into trouble if you abuse them. that's when any speaker will fail. reguardless of how well made or expensive it is. I've only owned a four pairs of speakers in my home theater over the years.. and although not all of them were top notch.. none of them ever failed where i had to use the warranty on them. i take care of them and they take care of my ears. ha ha ha
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2002
    Not if it's from an unauthorized dealer, Dan. :(
  • dan t
    edited July 2002
    Like I said before, I'll take my chances. Buying on-line is way cheaper (when your talking high end audio equipment) than from a dealer. If I can save hundreds, I'll do it and I have. No problems here.

Dan