New Sub Ordered

Dr. Spec
Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
edited July 2002 in Speakers
SVS 20-39PC Plus.

TC Sounds dB12 driver, 525 watt RMS Indigo BASH amp, 3 position subsonic filter, continuously variable phase, tunable triple ports, flat to below 20 Hz, and more SPL than I'll probably ever need in my 2000 ft3 room.

Now the waiting game starts...........I probably won't see that sub realistically until around September.

I guess the HK/Advent combo will have to soldier on.............

Doc
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
Director - Technology and Customer Service
SVS
Post edited by Dr. Spec on

Comments

• mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited July 2002
    I wanted to wait around for the PC+ line but didn't feel like waiting a couple of months (I'm very impatient).

I did, however, order a 20-39PCi just over a month ago.. let me tell you, this thing is amazing. Within the first week, I had already knocked a picture frame off of the wall upstairs, thanks to the intro on Toy Story 2! :D

Man, I can't even imagine what another 200 or so watts would make one of these things do! :eek:

Be sure to keep us up to date on your bass endeavor!

joe :D
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2002
    Joe:

Roger that. Full review with digital pics to follow after arrival and break-in (of my house that is).

Glad you love your sub. The "ISD" in the 20-39PCi is no slouch, that's for damn sure. My buddy has the 25-31PCi, and that sucker belts out clean, powerful bass like nothing I've ever heard even close to it's price range. We played The Haunting in DTS, and in one scene my sweat pants were actually fluttering! Go SVS!

Doc

SVS
  • north51
    north51 Posts: 66
    edited July 2002
    I am considering the SVS 20-39 PCi as well. Does anyone have any recommendations for a relatively inexpensive amp to run this?
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2002
    Congrats on the new sub Doc.

A good sub really brings out the best in HT sound. The difference was amazing when I upgraded from a Velodyne to my 177L Sonosub.
    We played The Haunting in DTS, and in one scene my sweat pants were actually fluttering! Go SVS!
    I know the feeling. I've played some scenes that have made my pants and shirt sleves vibrate. It's funny to watch people shake their legs becasue the bass is vibrating their pants.

Looking forward to some pics.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited July 2002
    Although not as a result of subwoofers, I know what it's like to have your sweatpants fluttering.

Toupee
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2002
    Ron - I read about some of your exploits with that sub - vision blurring, teeth chattering, pants fluttering power! The CHT-120 is still in the Polk Showcase for the Green Room - UPDATE to show that 177 liter beast!

North51:

The 20-39PCi already has a built-in 320 watt RMS amp - all it needs is an LFE jack to run.

Perhaps you are thinking of the 20-39CS, which is the unpowered version requiring a separate outboard amp.

The Samson 700 amp sold by SVS is cheap, clean touring amp power, with the capability to drive 4 ohm loads without problems and a bunch of dynamic headroom. Plus, you have the capability of going with a second sub down the road, since this is a two channel rig.

There are also pretty inexpensive plate amps on the internet, that would require some type of mounting for aesthetics (see Ron-P's website for details), but are another source of clean gutsy power. The HSU website sells the 250 watt plate amp that powers the VTF-3 separately, and that would fit the bill nicely too, but it is only one channel and therefore cannot expand to twin subs like the Samson can.

From a value standpoint, the PCi series is very hard to beat - better than the CS series and a separate amp. The CS series only becomes comparable in value when you add a second sub and utilize the second amp channel (if you went with the 2 channel Samson). Until then, the PCi series remains the better value.

Also, don't discount HSU. The VTF-2 for $449 shipped from www.bluewhaleaudio.com is a very fine box sub if you like that style better than a cylinder sub. There are some satisfied owners of that sub in this forum - seek them out for their opinions.

Doc

SVS
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited July 2002
    Ron - I read about some of your exploits with that sub - vision blurring, teeth chattering, pants fluttering power! The CHT-120 is still in the Polk Showcase for the Green Room - UPDATE to show that 177 liter beast!

I sent Justin an email with all the updated pics and have yet to see any sign of change. I did this couple months back. Maybe he'll do it some day.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited July 2002
    I can vouch for the 20-39pci too... I am a very, very happy owner. This sub has raised the enjoyment level of the whole home theater for me, it just adds another dimension.

The only problem: it kept making my dvd skip during heavy lfe it pumped out so much bass. The DVD player is now sitting on top of the entertainment center sitting on two folded up towels until my Vibrapods get in... classy!!

Jurassic Park III was a new experience (with the towel mod, of course), you could feel it in your chest. The dino battle at the beginning and when they were trying to hide in the herd were jaw-dropping. Apocalypse Now was also a great breakin dvd. When I have some more time I'll try to elaborate on the wife approval factor, as well as the cat approval factor...
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2002
    Thought everyone might get a kick out of my "homemade" sub. Here is a pic.

It doesn't really do too bad, but the amp is a powerhouse and can easily overdrive the Advents if I push it too far. But the Advents are tight (acoustic suspension) and go pretty deep (about 35 Hz) and they move some air. They will pale compared to the SVS, though.

Doc

SVS
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    this is my make shift added some bass to my ht i was testing the spot where i am going to put my sono when i am dune aka when the driver comes in the mail
  • brianlewis
    brianlewis Posts: 12
    edited July 2002
    SVS Model 20-39PCi or Polk PSW650 ??
    That is the question.....

I have RT800i, CS245i, and RT35i, what would be best for my room, the SVS or the Polk for the sub?
    Brian Lewis
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited July 2002
    Brian... I have a similar setup (800s, 400 center), and I bought the SVS after the 650, so I'm pretty familiar with both. I think... musically they're pretty close (would still lean towards the SVS), but for home theater it's no contest, SVS hands down. The 650 doesn't come close for output (sorry Polk!)... it's not just volume, either, it's clean and tight bass.
    2 channel I might think twice about the 650, but if they're still having the summer sale at SVS, for the $$ it's too hard to beat. Although if you still like the 650, I have one for sale! :)
  • brianlewis
    edited July 2002
    Thanks Dylan, looks like its SVS time....
    btw, people are paying $400-$450 for the 650 on ebay if you need to sell yours
    Brian Lewis
  • tony27
    tony27 Posts: 49
    edited July 2002
    not many people here in club polk are buying polk subs it seems. hey polk, you going to bring out a decent subwoofer?
  • brianlewis
    edited July 2002
    Just ordered an SVS 20-39PC+ with 525 Watt Bash Amp inside!!
    Now the wait til late August (they are backordered)
    Brian Lewis
  • Dr. Spec
    edited July 2002
    Congrats Brian! You will not regret that sub purchase.

What is your order number? The lowest PC+ I've seen on other HT forums is order #4531.

I think the first run of Indigo BASH amps (due for late August delivery from Indigo in Canada to SVS in Ohio) will only be 500 in number, so I hope you got in line early enough - the demand for these subs will be high.

I think the SVS PC+ series will set new standards in features, power, extension, SPL, and quality of sound for the under $1,000 powered sub class. Only the HSU VTF-3 or a DIY sub will have similar value.

Doc

SVS
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited July 2002
    I assume personal taste in subs and price to value also factors in.

I do believe Polk need a new sub,something to go with the lsi line.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited July 2002
    There is a new sub line coming out in October. That's why the subs are being discounted now. All the current models are being replaced, but there won't be anything higher than the 650 level.