B&K Amps?

dylan
dylan Posts: 453
edited July 2002 in Electronics
Has anyone had experience with B&K amps? I can get a decent deal on one, but wondered what everyone thought (this would be a 140w x3) for 800i's/ 400i. Thanks!
Post edited by dylan on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    It would be pretty effin sweet.....

Which model are you looking at?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2002
    grap it, B&K makes good stuff.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    Grap?

Man, I thought maybe you fat-fingered that one, but the P and B keys aren't even close, not even the same friggin neighborhood......

Time to get your Mavis Beacon on....
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

I like Rotel all day but in the end B&K was the clincher.

L. Harvey
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    Man, dont say **** THAT funny...

Cheers,
    Cryin' Russ
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    All in good fun, man, all in good fun.

BTW, I hope we are talking about canned beans, because I know nothing about gear.....

wait, scratch that, B&M makes beans, not B&K. Crap I don't know what you guys are talking about then.

Jack Ruby
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    B&K make real good amps.You amp is a st class.
    They made them for a number of years.I owned a st140 byself for years.If you can get a good deal or not its a good amp.

As posted from my fan club,
    Rotel is another great amp company.I perfer B&K over Rotel more for preamp reasons then amp reasons.Real close for amps.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    Hell, I wouldn't know, I thought we were talking about canned beans. Personally, I find that the Rotel cans are a little more sturdy, beans a have a little more flavor to them.

LH
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    Dude, Rotel is friggin Spicy Tomatoes.

I'll throw Ranch Style up against B&M anyday, B&M just lacks crystal clear highs, smooth mids, and solid low end.

-R
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2002
    grap?? even I am saying WTF was I thinking
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    Well, hell, just goes to show you how much I know. I must have some sales brochures around to peruse to get some more info....gimmie a minute.

LH
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2002
    You wouldn't be in this position if you had been Bean Certified, like me...Wanna try me???

TT
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002
    No, Obi Wan, I need to open 10 more cartons without injury before I am fully certified...

LH
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    When you compare 2 great mid line amps like B&K and Rotel,it's really down to a personal level.
    I have listened to both companies stuff many many times,they are both really Impressive for what they cost.I feel they are both a half step infront of compaines like Parasound,Carver,Adcom,and the rest of there well respected class.
    You can't go wrong with any of the above, they all have there good points and bad to a degree.
    I'm not gonna paraphrase with spicy and things like that...I think It confuses the youger poster's here and ruins there quest for knowledge.
    Dan
  • sgtgto
    sgtgto Posts: 310
    edited July 2002
    Hi:

I have had my B&K 200X3 for about a year now and really love it. I am running 4 mains, two RT2000s and two RT800s, and get 340W left and right on the 4ohm load. It doesn't run any hotter with 4ohm load then it did 8.

Gary:p
  • TroyD
    edited July 2002

Adcom has some pretty pricey and highly regarded gear, one of thier preamps (for preamp reasons) is a Stereophile Class A pick I believe.

Also, isn't this an exercise in overkill anyway? According to mantis, Polks don't merit the use of separates anyhow.

LH
  • mantis
    edited July 2002
    Yes,
    using seperates on the rt lines is overkill IN MY OPNION.You can do this all you want,its a free hobbie and you can mate anything you want with anythig you want.But I wouldn't.I have a matignrule I follow and it works for ME, if anyone alse can use that thinking, use it,I post it for a point of view.
    I feel that if your looking for better sound and are looking to go seperates,I feel the LSI line would be better suited for the amp upgrade, but again this is only my opnion.
    BUt if you love the speakers you own and feel that you want them to be the very best they can be,seperates are better in alot of ways over using a receiver.In general that is.Not hard facts.
    Dan
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    its the upgrade thing what do you upgrade first? if you buy the ls line and run them on a cheap amp or upgrade your amp and then upgrade your speakers when i was upgradeing my ht to what it is right now i started in the rear and then my center then mains then recever but i got my dvd and sub befor all of my polk stuff
  • dylan
    dylan Posts: 453
    edited July 2002
    Thanks everyone for the feedback... it stinks that with my new job I started a few weeks ago, I can't really browse the forum from work anymore (this is the first time I've been back since I saw Russ's post). It was great to get feedback right away since I was trying to move on this (thanks Russ!), especially when it was exactly what I wanted to hear :D. The ST3140 is on it's way.

The way I see it (semi educated newbie), I think the 800's are just waiting to bust loose with more power to them. They sound so clear with quality source material, like the Diana Krall in dts, that my theory is they'll benefit a lot from good power for the rest of my material. I guess my question about overkill is... How can they not sound better?

And since I can't get the amp and the lsi's at the same time, I'm thinking the 800's and b&k should be a nice combination for awhile. I agree with goingganzo... which first? For me, more power since I'm happy with the 800's.
  • weavercr
    weavercr Posts: 289
    edited July 2002
    IMO I consider ADCOM and ROTEL to be on the same level with B&K slightly ahead. Krell rules. I have never owned a carver or parasound so no comment on them.