Does anyone have this remote?

avelanchefan
avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
edited August 2002 in Electronics
I was just wondering if you do have it.....do you like it.

Any pros and cons to it. If you have audio equipment how does it do controling your A/V receivers?

http://shop.polkaudio.com/customer/product.php?productid=40&cat=6&page=1
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
Post edited by avelanchefan on

Comments

• jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited July 2002
    I have the Parasound version of this remote. The only problem I have with it is it's inability to run my Toshiba 65H80. It will only send power and channel commands. It will not do volume control or any other commands. Polk may have a better programed version, you may want to inquire to the head guru's @ Polk before you lay down your cash.

PS

It will not learn my Toshiba remote command either, go figure. Top selling sets in the country and it will not read the commands.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • begbie
    begbie Posts: 630
    edited July 2002
    I would suggest the MX-500 . It would run you a few dollars more if you shop around.
    I've owned the remote now for 4 months and I've got to say that it's probably one of the best out there !!!:D

PS. Works fabulous with my Toshiba 50hx81 as well ! Programmed
    discete on/off and theaterwide modes!!!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Polk fx500i -side surrounds
    Polk rc60i -rear surrounds
    Onkyo TX-NR 1009 (9.2) receiver
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited July 2002
    I agree with begbie, The MX-500 is a great remote.
    I've had mine for 8 months, easy to set up, very customizeable, a joy to use. You can check it out at www.BlueDo.com , $125 & p/h and worth every penny. Another site you might want to look at is www.remotecentral.com.
  • schumach
    schumach Posts: 199
    edited July 2002
    Have either of you had a problem of running out of memory for commands? How long is your battery life with this remote?
  • begbie
    edited July 2002
    Average battery replacement is 6 months. I'm going 5 months strong.
    Scumach, I have the avr300 and it works excellant with this new remote. However i know your avr500 remote is quite good.
    Based on the equipment you have there, you may be able to get by w/o a new remote. Unless you're really into macros-which can really make it easy for multiple commands for yourself and the family.
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • schumach
    edited July 2002
    begbie,

Thanks for your input. The AVR500 remote does most of the functions I need, but it is lacking a few that I use often. I cannot do a status on my DVD player, change picture mode on my TV and it will not control the recording features of my Dish 501 receiver. I am assuming that all the buttons on the top half of the remote can be programmed. If you don't mind letting me know your opinion, whether the remote is worth the money, I would appreciate it. It is hard to justify $130 for only 3-6 features, but it can be a pain locating the correct remote.
  • GZ
    edited July 2002
    schumach,
    I'm on my second set of batteries and no, I haven't maxed out the memory. IMHO it's worth the $ not having 4 or 5 remoted laying around.
  • begbie
    edited July 2002
    Schumach,
    Depends on how much of an inconvience it is for you.
    Personally I think it would be worth it. Sounds like it gets pretty frustrating for you when you want the right remote to do the right job. We've all been down that road. For just that reason it's worth it.
    Futhermore there are still other benefits the mx-500 can provide. Your a/v equipment all have discrete on and off. That means at one click of a button, the mx-500 will turn everything off or on. This feature is worth gold to remote junkies ! You can get other discretes(direct access) such as input selection, or favorite
    channel stored for each button on the satellite.
    I suggest to head over to www.remotecentral.com for a wealth of information!
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited July 2002
    I'ts not a bad remote for the money.It's alittle hard to use at first but after you use it for awhile you'll get used to it.
    If your looking for a universal remote to solve all your control problems,for the money Phillips Pronto tsu200 can't be beat.There isn't any equipment that I have ever programmed it can't control.You can do a vast amount of cool stuff with it as well.It will control anything you own thats Ir control.
    My vote is for the pronto.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    i have the tc 1000 by hk it is sweet you can get a used one cheap and it has lering capibility
  • schumach
    edited July 2002
    Just ordered the MX500. Thanks for your input. My final decision was made when my son broke an old remote lastnight. I realized that it would cost me more to replace my OEM remotes than a UR. Thanks again.
  • begbie
    edited July 2002
    Sweeet. You shan't regret it!:cool:
    Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • GZ
    edited July 2002
    schumach,
    Congrats of your decision. BTW, if you do have any questions about set up/programming it the remote central site has a board that is quite informative/helpful. One word of caution, take your time setting it up and be patient. You will want change things around after you use it for awhile to make it more to your liking. That's the great thing about the MX-500, you can program it to do whatever YOU want. Have fun with it!
  • avelanchefan
    avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
    edited July 2002
    Hey guys thanks for all your responses.

I have been to remote central before, I was just wondering about the Polk remote because I had never seen it before. But now you guys turned me on to the MX500 so it looks like I will be replaceing myu beloved RS remote with this one.
    Sean
    XboxLive--->avelanchefan
    PSN---->Floppa
    http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
  • begbie
    edited July 2002
    What's cool is unlocking new functions that your original remote never had. With my Toshiba pro-jo, I never had discrete on/off, aspect size or a button for closed caption on the fly.
    Macros are excellent too. I've got it set up to so that at a press of a button power to the tv and dvd turns on, the timer is in place for the tv to warm up, turn off internal tv speakers, select widescreen mode+input and the final touch
    dim the lights !!! :D

Polk Rt800i -Fronts
    Polk cs400i -Center
    Velodyne cht12
    Polk psw111
  • schumach
    edited July 2002
    Got my MX500 today and this is an easy remote to learn and program. I have all of my devices programmed, but I figure there are a few features I am missing. I would recommend this remote, thanks again for your input guys.
  • schumach
    edited July 2002
    I did run into something on the remote. For you that own the MX500 do you have problems with the "enter button" in the middle of the toggle. I have to press the button multiple times to get the function to work. Any input would be great.
  • jdavy
    jdavy Posts: 380
    edited August 2002
    The remote looks to be made by the same people who made my remote for my HK AVR7000. Looks fine to me.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,621
    edited August 2002
    Do any of y'all have, or have tried, the fully touchscreen remotes like the Pronto or any other brands along that same line? If so, how well did it perform for what you wanted?

B
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.