Has Sony lost the touch?

davew43
davew43 Posts: 25
edited July 2002 in Electronics
Ive Bought several Sony Recievers in my time, here lately it seems the prices are going up and the quality is going down. I understand that theres a 50/50 break from price and quality, but this latest one just isnt what I expected. Any comments? Thoughts? I'm not rich, but If Im gonna pay good money for a decent Reciever with @ leat 3 optic inputs, whats good and strong without spending an outrageous amount on "Blind date" equipment...
:confused:
Dont ask me why it sounds so good... Im just the Computer guy.
The Audio?
Polk RT800i's Front
Polt FX30's Rear
Polk Csi30 center
and some flimsy **** Sony Amp pushes it.
Post edited by davew43 on

Comments

• PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited July 2002
    what do you mean by lost the touch?, they didn't have one to start with...:D
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    Man, look at Peter policing the Sony fans like a mug....

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • davew43
    edited July 2002
    Alright, so they never had the touch. Shame on me.... So lets look at the post again.... whats good?!?!
    The Audio?
    Polk RT800i's Front
    Polt FX30's Rear
    Polk Csi30 center
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited July 2002
    Aaron thinks they are dandy. For example, to get the RT55 (Polk flagship speaker) setup properly, refresh my memory Aaron.

Do we bi-amp the tweets with the Sony, and mid-basses with a Yammie, or is it the other way around?

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • davew43
    edited July 2002
    Oh yeah. almost forgot... Im not looking for brutal force, I got a PSW450 for thumpage, I just need clean detailed DD5.1
    The Audio?
    Polk RT800i's Front
    Polt FX30's Rear
    Polk Csi30 center
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited July 2002
    I dunno about the optical inputs, but I would check into Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, NAD to name a few.......I find that the Sony's tend to have lots of bells and whistles but sound crappy, frankly.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • davew43
    edited July 2002
    I agree, your right on the Gadgets and Gizmos, I dont want all that. Actually this was a spontanious upgrade to Digital in at the time. The Fibre interested me more than anything. Considering the simplicity and sound quality of fibre over copper... I have a DVD Player to consider, a 300CD changer, A Fibre sound on the PC, and a Satelite reciever with optical. I just want them all to fit...;)
    The Audio?
    Polk RT800i's Front
    Polt FX30's Rear
    Polk Csi30 center
  • PETERNG
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by TroyD
    II find that the Sony's tend to have lots of bells and whistles but sound crappy, frankly.

BDT

I try to say the same thing like what you've said here but I guess it's was kinda early morning and I just lost my head, yes Sony looks handsome, has a lot of bells and whistles, it even has dot matrix display on the lowest price receiver, but it sound so stupid for music.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited July 2002
    Hey, I once had a Sony rcvr with a 2-channel sound mode called "V-Surround". No, the Sony owner didn't have to settle for a mere "loudness" button, it was "V-Surround"! How can you not love such innovation?!?!;)

However, I have a Sony DVD player, MD deck, & TV, & they work fine so far. The guy who bought the rcvr says it's still working fine (pro-logic w/5.1 inputs). But I have certainly heard of many problems with their stuff. Maybe I am just lucky (so far).
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited July 2002
    Onkyo or Denon - can't go wrong with either of there new lines.:)
    PS-not to mention that Sony's Customer Service is crap.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited July 2002
    Just Ripping on the young mans rig..........nothing wrong with those rt55 he owns.The whole bi amp thing he did is.....well I won't talk like that, but he was thinking and tried.
    Sony receiver in general and first hand.......SUCK.They can't even get 2nd zone right.You got to loose the center channel in order to power 2nd zone.That sucks bad.Can anyone but Pioneer Elite,Denon,B&K,Rotel do 2nd zone right???????Naaaaa!!!!
    They all try to get it to go but Sony fell on there face here.Sound Quality out of the ES line isn't bad,I wouldn't own it, but not the worst Iv'e heard at there price point.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited July 2002
    davew43:

Which Sony receiver did you have that you aren't satisfied with? (What price range are you shopping in?)

FWIW, I had a 333ES (basically the bottom of the ES line) and it looked pretty and had lots of bells & whistles, but sounded like junk-- especially in stereo. My '84 vintage Realistic sounded better.

Jason
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited July 2002
    Can you trust the rags? Home Theater just gave the Sony 333ES a great review.

There a many who like the ???9000ES pre amp and matching amp, my experience with Sony receivers was not good, they made a great hot plate for frying eggs.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited July 2002
    my yamaha haves 7 optical inputs 1 optical output, 3 rca digital inputs.
    its a yamaha rx-v1 gold

if you can find one there down to $1500 new they beat sony receivers all the hell. but sony makes good dvd players, & tvs.
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • jcaut
    edited July 2002
    Can you trust the rags? Home Theater just gave the Sony 333ES a great review

Who knows? Maybe all that listening to Radio Shack stuff in my younger days has destroyed my hearing..:p
    I never claimed to have "reviewer's ears" anyway.

No kidding, though: That V333ES I had really sounded bad driving the RT800i's. Even my wife commented on the tremendous improvement that switching to the Denon 3801 made. I had previously used the Sony with some old Advent Legacy speakers (which were 6 ohm, btw) and it sounded somewhat better with them. Besides the sound quality, it got VERY hot. Also, it's not a confidence-builder when you un-box a new component and find chunks of solder in the packaging :confused:

Jason
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited July 2002
    i have a 8 year old recever that olny has pro logic it was nice it had 100 rms for the mains and 25 for the center and surounds
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited July 2002
    In my opinion Sony sucks. Has for a long time. They are good for those who feel the bells and whistles are everything. I smile every time I hear the reason why someone new buys a sony.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    I hear the reason why someone new buys a sony.
    madmax
    But the Sony had 47 DSP modes!!!

Aaron
  • PETERNG
    edited July 2002
    Originally posted by Aaron

But the Sony had 47 DSP modes!!!

Aaron

Yeah, and I sounds worse than the normal stereo mode. Stay away from Sony receivers folks, It will do you no good, if you really want to own a Sony brand, try their video products such as DVD and TV.
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited July 2002
    I have a sony minisystem. It's pretty good for $400. Im using it now to power my Klipsch RF3's. Not to bad. Sounds better then the Sony DB line.

I just bought a Denon 5600 and should pick it up in a few days. THAT SHOULD BE GOOD!
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2002
    I just bought a Denon 5600 and should pick it up in a few days.
    Is that the model from about 6 years ago? I think that was one of their first DD receivers, if I remember correctly.

Aaron
  • jcaut
    edited July 2002
    I find it a little hard to believe that the Sony minisystem sounds better than the DB-series receivers. Just goes to show how screwed-up those Klipsch speakers are.:D
  • jmasterj
    jmasterj Posts: 327
    edited July 2002
    Hey davew43
    Welcome to the forum, I find it interesting that you've brought several Sony receivers in your time. That says something. I just brought my first Sony Receiver. I also own a Sony DVD, and SACD.
    I looked at Denon, Yahmaha ,HK, Sony ES,and Onkyo before I purchased. I ended up with the SONY STR-DB 1070. I would do it again. The question I asked myself is were the others worth the extra money, and for what. If you want a high-end receiver than go Denon, if you want a good receiver at a good price SONY has
    a well earned reputation. Let Your ears and pocket decide.
    JmasterJ Polk to the Death
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
    edited July 2002
    had it for 2 weeks and then sold it on ebay...lol
    Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
    I promised myself
    No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • goingganzo
    edited July 2002
    i dont like sony products but i do own some when i cant get what i want from another company i have a sony 400disk cd changer i hope there is a good 400 disk dvd changer non sony with p-scan cheap soon my dvd player is going down hill
  • matthew_2
    matthew_2 Posts: 52
    edited July 2002
    jcaut, It's funny you say that. Anyways, my minisystem has a lot of hiss and noise. However, it's warmer and the bass seems much more solid and controlled then the Sony DB.

-The show room did have a BIG GLASS WALL...**** heads
  • jcaut
    edited July 2002
    :lol: Just joking around with you! I'll take your word for it.

Jason
  • davew43
    edited July 2002
    OK Ill go buy a Onkyo.... I hope there as good as what Im reading and seeing....
    The Audio?
    Polk RT800i's Front
    Polt FX30's Rear
    Polk Csi30 center
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2002
    OK Ill go buy a Onkyo.... I hope there as good as what Im reading and seeing....

DO NOT buy anything based on just the recommendation of anyone on this forum or anywhere else without listening first. If you have spent any time browsing this forum you will notice that every one has an opinion (and they are almost all different)! These forums are good for getting an idea what is good and what is not and may help you narrow down your choices.

You need to find a store (or stores) that have Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, Pioneer, Marantz, Sherwood and even Sony and listen for yourself. Personally after listening I liked Denon much better than the rest. As evidenced by the posts above others feel different.

GO LISTEN ...then decide based on sound...then features...then price.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • goingganzo
    edited July 2002
    i seccond that buy what you like it is all what sounds good to you