Hdtv

criverajr
criverajr Posts: 1,675
edited July 2002 in Electronics
Guys,

I have a question, I want to upgrade my current Sony KV36Fs17 TV for a HDTV set. My question is I am leary of a Projection TV but really like the 43" Projection models from Hitachi, Sony, and Toshiba, should I upgrade to one of these models or upgrade to a 36"HDTV from the same manufacturers and include Panasonic? Your advise will help out alot, if anyone has had any experience with these sets tube or projections your opinion will be greatly appreciated.

Crivera:confused:
Post edited by criverajr on

Comments

• criverajr
    edited June 2002
    Picture of Current Sony TV
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited June 2002
    Why are you leary of a Projection TV? To me this has got to be one a the biggest misconceptions in the Home Theater world. I have seen a nice Mit. 65" next to a 36" tube and I thought the picture quality on the 65" was much better. Mt parents have owned a 50" RCA tv for 13years now and the picture quality is like day one. This tv runs 15 hours aday. I clean it once a year for them. :)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    I don't have a "trained eye" and could care less about HDTV but IMO projection TV's are generally the way to go, all things being equal.

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • criverajr
    edited June 2002
    I guess the technology has come along way, have you had any experience with the 43' projection stes, has anybody? If picture quality is same or close to tube which model would you guys recommend?

Crivera
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    my in-laws have a 46" RCA projection, about 5-6 years old, looks good. My brother in law has a 50" Toshiba that is pretty swell. Mind you these are the cheapies, no HDTV.

I dunno, there are a lot of cool TV's out there, not to be a wiseass, but go on out and get your view on.....

Troy
  • criverajr
    edited June 2002
    I hear ya! I just can't really tell the difference and most stores don't have them side by side to get a true viewing experience. I guess I'll will have to try to get as much info as possible and make the choice that way.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,031
    edited June 2002
    TroyD,
    I don't think that was a wiseass reply, but a good solid reply if you can take a complament from me.

criverajr,
    I have read your concerns and questions on buying/upgrading to a HDTV.
    Tube TV's are generally clearer and sharper.They are brighter as well.but you can't get that big screen experience with a tube like a rear projection.
    There are amny good quality sets out there waiting for you to look at.
    I don't like to give or tell people what brands to buy but i can tell you what a good solid rear projection tv.If money is an issue, you can't go wrong with Mitsubishi, they do it extremly well and won't drain your lifes saving to get into one.Pioneer Elite will take all your money but they make one of if not the very best rear projection tv's on the market at any price.
    I like both companies tv's, there are many more...like troyD said get your view on and have some fun.Ask alot of question and hopefully you can learn what you need to know.
    By the way that Sony you own now will be hard to beat,Sony is just plain awesome when it comes to tubes.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    I can take a compliment or constructive criticism from anyone.......

Troy
  • criverajr
    edited June 2002
    Thanks guys,

I have looked at the Pioneer Elite RPTV as recommened by you guys and it looks and sounds great, but the price is way uptheir, I was looking at the 40" Wega and the price is coming down, an option to a RPTV. Mantis what do you think of the new styling on the Wega, The wife liked it alot, If I am going to go HDTV should I go with a RPTV or with the 36-40" XBR tubes, like you said mantis the picture is unbelievable

Crivera:lol:
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited June 2002
    Nobody makes a tube widescreen set larger than 34" except for the 38" RCA/Proscan as far as I know. Anybody know of one?

Aaron
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    That is the limit, 38" for a WS 16:9. I had heard a 40" was coming out.

For DVDs, RP or FP is the way to go. Projection TVs really give your movies the look of film.

I have a Mits 46" 16:9 I picked up for $1995 over a year ago. Excellent TV. Not a single problem and it looks excellent.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • criverajr
    edited June 2002
    I have been looking at the MITWT-46809 HDTV on line has very good reviews, Ron-P is this the one you have. Your right the 40" Wega is a tube but not widescreen, but picture is great, Price is 2699.99 at AVI HT Store.
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited June 2002
    But if you are going to be playing video games (like some of us youngin's ;)) then you are going to want to get a tube TV. Not as likely to burn in! Ouch!

I got the Toshiba 34HF81 and love it. I played many upon many hours of XBox this weekend :)

- Steven
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2002
    I have last years model the 46807.

Burn-in, if you calibrate with AVIA and take the TV off factory torch mode, you'll have no worries.

If...
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    The new Wega's are awesome.I love them to death, just don't make me carry one.They weigh more then any other tv on the market.
    The Mitsubishi is also the tv I would recommend.They are cheap meaning compared to Pioneer Elite.
    Pioneer is the King of the Hill,I have no douts on that, but the Mitsubishi company can make a great set, better then most other brands on the market and still find a way to make a competive price point.
    It really comes down to what you and your wife like better,you not going to get ripped off if thats what you mean.Sony is Sony,they make great stuff.Glass or rear projector......hard choice, but after you gather your info and get your viewing on, its you alone my friend.
    Dan
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited June 2002
    i have the mit ws65819 it is a sweet set and i got it for 3k the reason i got the 65 is it is able to be split in 2 pieces to carry down stairs it si 60 inches tall and i have a 59 inch clerance on my basement stairs so i figured the biggeset tv i could fot was a 46 this tv is awsome great picture qualty great bang fir the buck and you can even get a matching audio rack it fits all my componets besides my 400 disk cd changer has a single glass door
  • mantis
    edited June 2002
    I see life is good when you own Mitsubishi.
    Dan
  • richlentz
    richlentz Posts: 4
    edited June 2002
    I service electronics all A/V equipment for a college. In my experience the rear screen projetion units need more repairs and cost more for servicing & purchase. I would also like to get a larger TV, currently a 26" tube. If you go with a rear screen then check consumers report for a brand that has a better repair history. Good Luck;)
  • jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited June 2002
    No problems with my Tosh 65h80. Nice thing about rear projection is you can watch movies with all of the lights off without damage to your eyes. Check out the power consumption of that 40inch wega, I could run another rear projection at the same time and still not use as much juice. My X-box has never looked better. I was in the same boat as you were 6 months ago and I'm not disappointed in the least with my purchase.
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited June 2002
    Over the weekend I bought the Sony 57" widescreen and set it up last night. What a TV! I am very happy with it so far.

I did not purchase the HDTV decoder because on direct TV and rabbit ears for bad weather, I can't justify the expense right now.
    I was a sceptic on projection but now I'm converted.
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited June 2002
    I don't have it but I saw the 40" XBR Sony HDTV and it was unbelievable! It has the "squeeze" feature on it too. And when you do set it a widescreen, you still get 36". Not bad at all. When you do get an HDTV and if you do choose to get a projection, make sure you get an HDTV receiver because 200 plus lines looks like sh#t on them projection T.V.'s.
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited June 2002
    How much is the 40" sony?
  • ChrisDurano
    ChrisDurano Posts: 372
    edited June 2002
    3 grand.frame1.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1895659921.1025252713@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjadcfifdlghfcfngcfkmdffhdffk.0&upper=head.jsp&lower=frame2.jsp&left=leftchildcat.jsp&department=TV+Video+and+Camcorders&category=Tube+TVs&right=productsearch.jsp
    Home Speakers polkaudio RTi70's (bi-wired), CSi30, FX3000i, PSW250

Car speakers polkaudio EX 369, DB 650
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2002
    When I was a Tweeter yesterday, I was looking at the FP's, this is not good. A Sony DLP just dropped in price from 10k to 8k. They were projecting it on a 110" screen, it looked very sweet. This really is not good, must resist, must go back to my small 46". Damn I want a FP.

If...
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited June 2002
    Wanna sell that 46" Ron? :D
  • dlew308
    dlew308 Posts: 530
    edited June 2002
    Where's a Tweeter located in OC Ron?
  • Ron-P
    edited June 2002
    Actually it is in Temecula, Riverside County. We have a couple jobs gonig on out there. I had a meeting yesterday so I swung in after. Seems like a decent place with prices matching or besting Best Buy.

If...
  • Dr. Spec
    Dr. Spec Posts: 3,780
    edited July 2002
    I have a Hitachi RP HDTV 53" 16:9. It has a fabulous picture and I have had zero problems with it. It has a slightly better picture than my buddy's 50" Toshiba RP HDTV. I also liked it better than the Sony's and RCA's in the store, but overall they are all excellent.

I bought the extended 3 year CC warranty for $300 and considered it money well spent.

I had the convergance professionally set after delivery under the CC warranty for free, and I set the color and brightness settings myself - showroom settings are typically too bright and high color.

Viewing distance is about 11 feet away. RP technology is well established and is the way to go IMHO if you are looking at a 43" or larger 16:9 format.

Doc
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity"

Ed Mullen (emullen@svsound.com)
    Director - Technology and Customer Service
    SVS
  • PETERNG
    PETERNG Posts: 918
    edited July 2002
    damm...talking about HDTV...Samsung try to rule this market right now, check them out folks, they have a now direct 30" HDTV, WS, for about $800, and you know what, the picture looks fantastic but I never buy Samsung brand on A/V equipment before
  • caseymou
    caseymou Posts: 327
    edited July 2002
    I'm curious about Samsung also. I have looked at their 43 and 47" projection models priced at around $1600. Anyone with any Samsung HD experience? I heard their projection tv's have gotten good reviews in Consumer Reports.