stands,sub-platforms and structural tweaks

LiquidSound
LiquidSound Posts: 1,261
I want to put my subwoofer on something besides carpet. Should I build a box or platform to put it on? Or should I get something like this. http://www.dejavuaudio.com/PLATFORM-VIBRAPLANE.HTM
Also, I want to put my speakers on stands so they'll have the flexibility of better listening spots. These I definitely want to build.
Does anyone know where I can find specs for building either of these things???
Which do you think would be better to use..a metal pole/tripod type of speaker stand? Or a sand filled wooden box stand type thing..?

I'm also thinking about building a special platform to put my couch on. Possibly a triangular shape with the sub put on the tip of the platform. Float the box with large vibrapod-esque devices or something.
It seems a setup like that would provide quite a bit of rumble for your couch....although I could be complely wrong and the sound and vibration would be horrible. This is all theory.
Also, since one of the best places to put your sub is in the corner...what about building a sort of *bass cave* in your wall that would transmit more sound waves through the structure of your room.

What do you guys think about this idea? Have you ever built any vibration specific structures in your homes?
Response to any part of this will be greatly appreciated...
Two Channel Main
Receiver - VSX-54TX
Mains - Csi40's
Sub - Spiked Velodyne Cht-8 On Spiked Landscaping Stones

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
Post edited by LiquidSound on

Comments

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited June 2002
    They are all good thinking Ideas,
    You should pick up some books on Room acoustics before you build anything.
    My question is the sub on a slate board or anything but rug Idea.I noticed other had done it in here.I have found in all my setups of subwoofers, that using carpet spikes instead of rubber feet on the sub makes a shocking difference.Any comments???
    Stands if you want to build,Id leave a space to fill them wiith sand inside.Stands build with this feature I have found to sound the best.
    Sounds like an Involved project your getting in to.Have fun.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • LiquidSound
    edited June 2002
    Any sub I'll use will be on a piece of slate or some other stone. Except when it'll be placed on the couch vibra-box, which I intend on fastening to the platform very securely as to transmit more vibration.
    The option of adjustable levels of sand in a speaker stand sounds very useful. Do you think I should use acoustically dead boards to build it..or would the materials matter that much. *no I'm not considering chipboard*
    I wonder what type of sound you'd get from placing multiple speakers from multiple home theater systems *3 systems, exact same gear* on a curved speaker stand..with the bottom speaker about head height while sitting down, and the upper curl over towards you. Or have the middle speaker ear height with the top and bottom speakers angled towards your listening position.
    This would take almost no tweaking I'm sure .'yeah right' but it seems that if positioned properly it could give a deeper or more enveloping field of sound.

Tell me whatcha think!
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

"If you could put speakers in a needle, I'd never see him again..." - My Girlfriend
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Originally posted by LiquidSound
    Tell me whatcha think!

Well, honestly, I think you're off your freakin rocker.....

;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • LiquidSound
    edited June 2002
    Wonderful. Glad to hear it. Now, what do you think of my ideas? Do you think the sound from the differently positioned speakers might smear one another?
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Man, where do we start?

Hell, if you just want to rumble the house, take a closet and cut the bottom panel out of the door. Hunter up a 15" driver in there, wire it up and let 'er rip. Better yet, if you have a basement, sink one in the floor. Be sure to remove objects from the walls however.

The whole vibrating couch think kinda has a wierd sex shop kinda ring to it. How about some bass shakers instead?

The sand filled stands, I'd go with metal to be honest. The multiple speaker thing...I dunno that is REALLY stretching it but whatever pulls your chord. I'm trying to think of a possible benefit to it but am drawing a blank.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    You want vibrations. I'll run across the street and ask my single neighbor what she uses and I'll pass on the info. She calls the little one she keeps in her cars glove box my "little buddy".

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited June 2002
    Ron, how about a live video feed of her giving it a demo??

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Oh man, I wish. She is one fine MRE.

Peace out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • cgravil
    cgravil Posts: 101
    edited June 2002
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    She is one fine MRE.

MRE??? what? I'm a Military man and thinkin Meal Ready to Eat... but that dosen't sound right.:confused::confused::confused:
    The probibility of someone watching you is directly related to the stupidity of the action in question.:eek:
  • LiquidSound
    edited June 2002
    Meal Ready to Eat....I know lots of girls like that.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited June 2002
    speakers: If you build fillable stands, I'd go with steel shot. After this is full, fill with sand, vibrate and tamp. Higher density than sand, better solidity than shot. You could even line the chamber with cork. If it's water proof, etc.

Sub: Slate, granite, or marble. Those vibra-iso-pad-thingies are usually for electronics. Any sub that DOESN'T substantially benefit from corner placement should be considered as a cost effective (especially when talking *bass cave*) upgrade. If you want to feel it go with bass-shakers (E-bay friendly).

TroyD: I know I'm high (once again), but I have a panel cut to receive 2 18" Adire Maelstroms that will fit nicely into what is currently my wife's closet. If I can just combine my apartment with the ex-tenant's, I'll convert our bedroom into a music/ht room. My sub sucks anyway, so it's worth the investment.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • LiquidSound
    edited July 2002
    Here is someone that's done structural tweaking. Me likes.:D
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• LiquidSound
    edited August 2002
    Go here scroll down and click the "twelve dancing shivas". This is incredible. Imagine setting up 2 of them babies. Jeez!:eek:
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's

• LiquidSound
    edited August 2002
    That guy with the dancing shiva's placed the column of thunder behind his system. I wonder if that would be the best place to put it. You could turn the box horizontally if you had some in-wall space. I bet everything on his walls is screwed down or glued in place.
    Two Channel Main
    Receiver - VSX-54TX
    Mains - Csi40's