Sonus Faber, ****.

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2005
    Options
    No more fighting guys... we're all pals here. Agree to disagree.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    According to a local dealer here in Illinois, I know the pricing of the current Concert Domus line.

The Concertino Domus is $1500. The Concerto Domus is about $3800. The Grand Piano Domus is $4500.

Pretty pricey for "entry level"... stinkin' Italian speakers!! LOL..

That sounds about right for the pricing. I figured it would be in that ball park.
    I'll have to start saving for my two-channel system. Seeming as how I can get them for 1/2 off :)

As for the question raised: Domus is replacing Concert series. Classic is Cremona, Homage is the big game like Stradivari and Guaneri.
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2005
    Options
    gregure wrote:
    I'll have to start saving for my two-channel system. Seeming as how I can get them for 1/2 off :) .

I really really HATE you now.

LOL...
    j/k!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,834
    edited August 2005
    Options
    gregure wrote:

If you are willing to admit that a speaker is exceptionally built, how can you justify a blanket statement that it sounds like crap? Not to your liking perhaps, but I'm sure it has some sonic qualities if a company went to the trouble of dumping high quality parts and craftsmanship into it. Obviously somebody thought well enough of it to distribute it and charge a high cost to the consumer. Granted, it's all subjective.

Once again, my point is that build quality and great sound do not always go hand in hand. To think that they do is kidding ones self.

I was called out and I responded.

No one called you out, you chose to join the fray. :)
    Now can we quit this pissing contest and get back to the speakers?

I thought we were having a discussion, oh well.

The speakers? Ok, any idea what crossover parts are used in the SF's? For example, what brand of caps they use. I'm serious, I don't know and would like to.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Hmm... I wonder what type of cross over parts the SF use. All I know is that they are 1st order and was told that it is superior to say a 4th order... is this true?
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The order (filter) refers to the slope of the crossover points. A 1st order has a 6dB slope, a 2nd order has a 12dB slope, a 3rd order has a 18dB slope and a 4th has a 24dB slope. First and second orders are used in better crossovers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonygeno
    tonygeno Posts: 34
    edited August 2005
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    The order (filter) refers to the slope of the crossover points. A 1st order has a 6dB slope, a 2nd order has a 12dB slope, a 3rd order has a 18dB slope and a 4th has a 24dB slope. First and second orders are used in better crossovers.
    This is simply not true. Many excellent speakers use 4th order crossovers (they actually require more parts to achieve the 24db/octave slope). Among them: Revel and Linkwitz Orions (designed by the guy that invented the Linkwitz-Riley crossover).
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I didn't like the Revel Salon's either.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The loudspeaker crossover, is an application design, not an end user design. The crossover is tailored to the drivers. The "tweaking" happens later. Crossover upgrades seem to be the flavor of the month.

If you don't like the loudspeaker, don't blame the crossover, it's you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    If that comment was directed at me, I never blamed the crossover.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    edited August 2005
    Options
    It wasn't directed at you but I refer you to your previous comment about crossover order/construction. The build of the crossover doesn't always mean "better" in regards to the "order". The order is application specific, period. It may be more "complicated" when it comes to the component level or in reality, the user level, but it doesn't make it any less valuable.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Agreed, I may have over simplified the subject matter. There are many variables when it comes to crossovers.

President of Club Polk

• gregure
    gregure Posts: 871
    edited August 2005
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    The speakers? Ok, any idea what crossover parts are used in the SF's? For example, what brand of caps they use. I'm serious, I don't know and would like to.

From the website, in reference to the new Grand Piano Domus:

Crossover points 400Hz and 3.6kHz initial first order, distributed multi-slope, optimized phase characteristics for correct space/time performance.

As far as the caps go, I don't know on the new Domus line, I would need to call my contact at Sumiko to answer that one.
    Current System:

Mitsubishi 30" LCD LT-3020 (for sale**)
    Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand (Rosewood)-Mains (with Audioquest Mont Blanc cables)
    CSi5-Center (for sale**)
    FXi3-surrounds (for sale**)
    Martin Logan Depth-Sub
    B&K AVR 507
    Pimare CD21-CD Player
    Denon 1815-DVD Player
    Panamax M5500-EX-Line Conditioner
  • tonygeno
    tonygeno Posts: 34
    edited August 2005
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    See my opinion on Revel's above.

From a previous post:
    F1nut wrote:
    For example, I have listened to the Revel 20T's (exceptional build quality) in a multitude of enviroments, run with some of the biggest named, most expensive gear made and on both SS and tubes. Not once have they sounded good, I wanted them to, but alas no. It's possible that the ever elusive synergy needed for great sound hasn't been found with the Revel's, but I gave up on them as they sounded like crap one too many times.

Well, Revel doesn't make a model 20T. Are you confusing them with Aerial?
  • F1nut
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I stand corrected, it was the Aerial 20T I was speaking of. I had the same impressions of the Revel Salon. Sorry for the cross up.

President of Club Polk

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited August 2005
    Options
    F1nut wrote:
    I stand corrected, it was the Aerial 20T I was speaking of. I had the same impressions of the Revel Salon. Sorry for the cross up.

That's one of the reasons that I respect you, Jesse. You will always standup for your opinion, but will admit when you've made a mistake. Sign of integrity. :)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Just an update - I'm sure no one cares... lol.

Just for posting sakes, I sold the Concertos and went with Martin Logan Mosaics.

Have them playing right now and I am definitely digging it. I hope my upgraditis stops.

On a side note, the Tweeter salesman started stammering when I told him this was for computer speakers... lol.
  • unbridled_id
    unbridled_id Posts: 179
    edited August 2005
    Options
    hey joe what do you like about the mosaics that put them over the onix ref 1's ?
    Are the logans floorstanding speakers ?
    The greatest enemy of truth is very often not the lie - deliberate, contrived and dishonest - but the myth - persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

Blaming the prince of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their prince.
  • 2+2
    2+2 Posts: 546
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    Just an update - I'm sure no one cares... lol.

Just for posting sakes, I sold the Concertos and went with Martin Logan Mosaics.

Have them playing right now and I am definitely digging it. I hope my upgraditis stops.

On a side note, the Tweeter salesman started stammering when I told him this was for computer speakers... lol.

So Joey, How long did you have your Sonus Fabers??
    System 1: Martin Logan Vantage, Rotel RC 1070, B&K Reference 200.2, Music Hall DAC 15.2, Yamaha 2300

System 2: LSi15 w/db840, Marantz SR8400, Rotel 1080, RM6800 (C&S), Sony X2020ES

System 3: LSi7, Yamaha SW215, Music Hall Maven, Music Hall MMF CD25 w/627opamps

System 4: RTi100, Harman Kardon AVR 230, Panasonic DVD
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Joey_V wrote:
    I may be in the minority...but I like Martin Logans. I think they are a bit pricey...but I still like them. I've heard the Mosaics and they definintely NEED A SUB (but so did the Concertos).
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Great looking speakers Russ. They have quite an original and high end classy look to them.
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2005
    Options
    I had them for a little less than a week - I dont believe in break in and besides - SF breaks them it at their factory prior to assembly, or so I'm told.

There was just something about the highs that my ears didnt agree with, hard to explain but as great as they sounded, I just couldnt live with them - that's just me. They are indeed probably the BEST bookshelf I have heard, but something just wasnt right for me and it probably applies ONLY to me... lol.

Anyway, I couldnt pass up the Mosaic Deal that Tweeter gave me - check this out:

The Martin Logan Mosaics are NOT being discontinued, but Tweeter wont carry them anymore. Edge and other audio boutiques in Illinois carry the Mosaics at full $2000 retail. Tweeter gave them to me... yes I said "gave"... for $1098.

Not a bad steal.

Unbridled,
    Havent put up the Ref1 against the ML Mosaics in A/B but I think I prefer the ML from what I remember (I know, this is flawed). One thing I dont like about AV123 is that everyone there seems to be on a "speaker-high" you know? Like everytime MLS comes out with a speaker, they all rave about it and proclaim it the best thing since sliced bread. I feel that with all the new models coming out, the Ref1 may not be the best av123 option for me as there might be better ones on the horizon and upgraditis will hit again.

Besides, I get blank looks when I tell fellow local audiophiles that I was thinking about an Onix Reference 1 speaker.... they're like: "HUH?"

The Ref1 is a good bookshelf, but I couldnt pass the Mosaic deal - truth be told.

I couldnt A/B the ML Mosaic against the Concertos but I used the same Demo songs and I remember exactly that the Piano on one song sounded eerily similar on the 2, whereas the piano sounded a little less "real" with the 9s (and EVEN the ML Ascents :eek: ).

I did a comparison between the ML Mosaics and the Polk LSi9 in store while being powered by a Yamaha Z9 flagship receiver (which cost $4500 btw... yikes... this probably gives my Rotel 1070 a run for its money). The Mosaics were superior in my ears. Midrange was free-er and more open, the highs had extension and yet had that palpable "feel" to them - just as vocals did on the 9s. Bass was greater from the 9s, but there is that midbass hump that everyone talks about.

Overall, I feel that I made good on my ML purchase.

My time with the Concertos was nice... but I did lose some cash in the resale... doh! Oh well.. I guess that's the price to pay for in-home demos these days... lol.
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2005
    Options
    shack wrote:
    I may be in the minority...but I like Martin Logans. I think they are a bit pricey...but I still like them. I've heard the Mosaics and they definintely NEED A SUB (but so did the Concertos).

I'm with you. I like ML. I have the SVS PC+ anchoring the low end.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited August 2005
    Options
    at last, the race is over, final audition is completed and Cremona it is... :)
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2005
    Options
    polkatese wrote:
    at last, the race is over, final audition is completed and Cremona it is... :)

Ayiyiyi... nice conclusion!
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Zero wrote:
    Polkatese,

Are those yours? Is that a Velo DD15 in back?

Sonus Fabers are just damned sexy speakers - one of the few I know that can give extreme pleasure without them even singin'. Its just good to know they are there.

That being said, I'm giving serious consideration to the Domus Concerto monitor for the PC, and the Grand Piano to add to the collection. One day... one day... First the Gallo Ref 3's...

I must say Zero... those Gallo Ref 3 caught my eye. They look so industrially gorgeous!! I would save my money and pick one up if only I knew how they sounded.
  • polkatese
    polkatese Posts: 6,767
    edited August 2005
    Options
    yep, glad to stop thinking about it, the only one in the line ups that gives me the goose bump! Dyna Contour S5.4, Dali Euphonia MS4 were the others...actually, I was waiting for the Domus and finally, the only dealer who carry the Domus on display called (a B&M) and I spent 3 hours auditioning GP vs. Cremona. GP can't quite match the Cremona in several areas, but it was close. GP new finish is awesome! the piano lacquer finish has those lines on its side ala Cremona, and the teak is to die for! I think this dealer is definitely sleeping with someone high-up at Sumiko (since no one else have theirs yet!) :)

edit: Sean, yes, those are DD-15. But, I still love my REL Storm better...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • dorokusai
    edited August 2005
    Options
    Polkatese - Excellent.

The Gallo's are very nice, but I wouldn't buy them over the Sonus Faber.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2005
    Options
    The Ref 3's aren't difficult to get, I just sold a pair for 2 large.

They are amazing speakers. Even more amazing if you hook up a crossover and amp to the 2nd voicecoil on the woofer. Gallo is supposed to start shipping their amp/crossover for it next month.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Joey_V
    edited August 2005
    Options
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    The Ref 3's aren't difficult to get, I just sold a pair for 2 large.

They are amazing speakers. Even more amazing if you hook up a crossover and amp to the 2nd voicecoil on the woofer. Gallo is supposed to start shipping their amp/crossover for it next month.

Russman,

How did you find the Ref3? Pros and cons?

That tweeter is pretty interesting being multi-directional and all.