Ken.....

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited June 2002 in 2 Channel Audio
I wanted to get your thoughts on some of the older planar speakers, ie Maggie I,II,III's , KLH 9's as well as maybe some of the current ones, newer Maggies, Apogee's etc....

I really want to dabble with planars and would be interested in your thoughts especially since some of the older Maggies can be found pretty reasonable.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    KLH9's were electrostats, were they not?

-Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    yeah, but you know what I'm driving at, I should have been more specific. Planars, electrostats....non-box speakers.

BDT
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited June 2002
    Oh, I thought you said 'planar' speakers in your first post. Did'nt realize we were talking 'non-box' speakers. Hell, non-box changes everything....

Cheers,
    Laughing Russ

Look at me, jackin your post up.....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAa
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited June 2002
    Don't they get damaged during shipment?
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited June 2002
    Nah, I'm sure they box'em up:)

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    edited June 2002
    Hello Troy,
    To my way of thinking speakers like the ones you've listed are a double edged sword. They offer definite advantages, but require careful considerations in order to elicit the best performance. The most important consideration is the fact that these speakers produce as much sound from the rear of the speaker as the front. Since this information is opposite in polarity to the front sounds it has to be dealt with to prevent cancellation. However, you need some of this rearward directed information to reach the listener to add to the "openness" and "three dimensionality" of the speakers. So, my point is that the room and the placement, of the speaker, in the room become an equal partner to the speaker itself. You should consider some kind of sound absorption material placed behind the speakers and then be prepared to move them forward and backward to get the balance between rear sound wave and front sound wave. Also they tend to be very equipment specific, meaning the final sound of the system is very much dependant upon what's powering them. Electrostatic speakers usually have a low impedance point at higher frequencies, sometimes as low as 1.5 ohms at 8 or 9 kHz. This low impedance can present a capacitive load to the amplifier and you have to be sure that the amplifier is going to be happy with this kind of load characteristic. The non-electrostatic panel speakers, such as the Magnaplaners, are going to have a different load characteristic and I'm not familiar enough to give advice there. But understand that the electronics driving the speakers is going to be more defining than another moving coil type speaker (such as the Polks). It's kind of like buying a British sports car, as long as you know what you're in for and find that part of the "charm", then no problem.
    Take care, Ken
  • TroyD
    edited June 2002
    thanks Ken.....

the rest of you yo-yo's......lick me

BDT